OpenTx 2.2.1 - Page 101 - RC Groups
Aug 19, 2017, 02:35 AM
most exalted one
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound
ok open tx . we need to have a chat about the length of complexity and multiple ways of doing essentiallys simple things that other tx's do with just a few steps. yet open tx makes you do things in multiple places and then have you scratching your head when it doesnt quite work they way yoiu thought it would (and for that matter how the tutorial said it woiuld work)

particularly when it comes to helis *since theres no heli wizard*

im a devo user so familiar with the more xposed options for more complex mixing, but this has gone too far.

2 hours using the companion software to get a somewhat functional setup with odd behavion. i can program the same model in deviation in 10 minutes.

open tx needs serious work to cut out the bs and unnnessary stuff. yes the odd few will want to program multiple logical swithces with 10 flight modes and umpteen curves but most of us just need a simple setup with 3 flightmodes. inputs go to a simple mix and output to a channel.

now i see why pros use spektrums or vcontrol transmitters.
Now that you have done it or almost...you have a wizard for next time....no?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2017, 03:58 AM
Quote:

LOL, that is funny

Your "pros" must all be park flyers
Aug 19, 2017, 04:20 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Quote:
Pros use what they're paid to use through sponsoring, even when it's not the most appropriate or they don't like it

Quote:
most of us just need a simple setup with 3 flightmodes. inputs go to a simple mix and output to a channel.
And that's exactly what the simple basics of OpenTX make as easy as it could get
Aug 19, 2017, 08:22 AM
rocket horse and jet chicken
Quote:
You're venting Bazound. OpenTX is different and doesn't do things like Spektrum or Walkera. You're just having some teething pains. You really don't need a heli wizard. It's not hard to set up a flybarless heli as long as you're not trying to do something unusual. Once you've created one that works as you like, you just copy over the model to another slot and use it as a baseline for the next. The hard part is setting up the first one. If you try to be patient I think at some point you'll appreciate the system and not feel so frustrated with it.

Personallly I find my OpenTX radio easier to manage than the Spektrum radio I replaced and Spektrum has a reputation for being easy to program. Now I did have some trials and tribulations getting to that point with OpenTX.

One thing you might be having problems with, don't use the Heli module in OpenTX. That's only for flybar helis that need CCP mixing in the transmitter. On mine I have that build option unchecked. For flybarless you use the base system in the same manner as you would setting up a plane. If you're trying to use that heli module with a flybarless heli it will give you a world of headaches.
Last edited by CraigHB; Aug 19, 2017 at 09:00 AM.
Aug 19, 2017, 08:28 AM
Quote:
ok open tx . we need to have a chat about the length of complexity and multiple ways of doing essentiallys simple things that other tx's do with just a few steps. yet open tx makes you do things in multiple places and then have you scratching your head when it doesnt quite work they way yoiu thought it would (and for that matter how the tutorial said it woiuld work)

im a devo user so familiar with the more xposed options for more complex mixing, but this has gone too far.

2 hours using the companion software to get a somewhat functional setup with odd behavion. i can program the same model in deviation in 10 minutes.

open tx needs serious work to cut out the bs and unnnessary stuff. yes the odd few will want to program multiple logical swithces with 10 flight modes and umpteen curves but most of us just need a simple setup with 3 flightmodes. inputs go to a simple mix and output to a channel.

Wow, 2 hours!
Long time Taranis user for fixed wing, but just bought my first quad couple weeks ago, took me less than 5 minutes to set up the radio and the quad flight controller, first time using SBus too.

Wonder what I'm doing wrong??????
Aug 19, 2017, 09:19 AM
OpenTX University Staff
Quote:

Did you read any of the documentation available, or just grab a YouTube video?
Aug 19, 2017, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3NFO
Wow, 2 hours!
I don't know, first time I picked up an OpenTX radio I was into it eight hours before I even got to programming a model. Had a lot of trouble understanding firmware updates and the SD card. There's like three different ways to update firmware and then there's the bootloader too. Really confused the hell out of me. Then I had to get a handle on the SD card structure and what needs to be where.

Actually it didn't take me all that long to set up my first model (all I fly is helis), probably a couple hours to get things working right. There was a lot of reading and examples I went over before doing that. So probably 12 hours in all to get my first model working. Now I can add new ones in a few minutes, actually faster than I could with my old Spektrum radio.
Last edited by CraigHB; Aug 19, 2017 at 09:46 AM.
Aug 19, 2017, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3NFO
Wow, 2 hours!
Long time Taranis user for fixed wing, but just bought my first quad couple weeks ago, took me less than 5 minutes to set up the radio and the quad flight controller, first time using SBus too.

Wonder what I'm doing wrong??????
He's talking about a heli not a quad .... two different animals as far as setup goes.....
Aug 19, 2017, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigHB
You're venting Bazound. OpenTX is different and doesn't do things like Spektrum or Walkera. You're just having some teething pains. You really don't need a heli wizard. It's not hard to set up a flybarless heli as long as you're not trying to do something unusual. Once you've created one that works as you like, you just copy over the model to another slot and use it as a baseline for the next. The hard part is setting up the first one. If you try to be patient I think at some point you'll appreciate the system and not feel so frustrated with it.

Personallly I find my OpenTX radio easier to manage than the Spektrum radio I replaced and Spektrum has a reputation for being easy to program. Now I did have some trials and tribulations getting to that point with OpenTX.

One thing you might be having problems with, don't use the Heli module in OpenTX. That's only for flybar helis that need CCP mixing in the transmitter. On mine I have that build option unchecked. For flybarless you use the base system in the same manner as you would setting up a plane. If you're trying to use that heli module with a flybarless heli it will give you a world of headaches.
Just an FYI , the Align flybarless controller is set up using CCPM ..... the controller is totally bypassed during setup ......

Not sure if there are any other controllers that set up similar to the Align......I think not ....
Aug 19, 2017, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanRodriguez
Not sure if there are any other controllers that set up similar to the Align......I think not ....
Not, the Align controllers have pretty much been left behind in the dust. The latest ones are just mind blowing in what they can do, Brain/Ikon, Spirit, V-Bar, amazing pieces of technology. they all take inputs similar to the way a plane does, just to controller over serial bus instead of to servos, same as a flight stabilizer for a plane.
Aug 19, 2017, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigHB
Not, the Align controllers have pretty much been left behind in the dust. The latest ones are just mind blowing in what they can do, Brain/Ikon, Spirit, V-Bar, amazing pieces of technology. they all take inputs similar to the way a plane does, just to controller over serial bus instead of to servos, same as a flight stabilizer for a plane.
Left behind or not , there are still plenty of folks using them (myself included) with great success. They are easy to set up and functional. For an average non 3D pilot like me , that's all the FBL gyro I need.
Aug 20, 2017, 08:51 AM
I have seen plenty of radios that are easier to program but not as flexible as my Taranis. Heli setup is more complex than a quad for sure. The mixing is a big deal. Quad setup is very simple on the radio side.
Aug 20, 2017, 09:34 AM
Truth is that Frsky gear is not really a good starting kit for helicopters. Most people get into helicopters prefer small helicopters which have internal receivers which don't work with Frsky (sans multimodule). And since you stick to a system, there are fewer helicopter pilots on Frsky compared to other system.

I also fly some small helicopters but I woudl not call myself an experienced helicopter pilot, so I am writing a wizard for it. We are not against helicopter, we just don't have anyone experienced enough in helicopters to be confident enough to write a wizard.

If someone of the helicopter pilots steps forward and helps us or tells how a helicopter wizard should look like, we are happy to implement it. And I think for now a FBL helicopter wizard should be enough >95% people.
Aug 20, 2017, 03:36 PM
Well flybar helis are all but obsolete now. There's a few you can still find but they're all old-new stock. Just buy outs of old stock on clearance. A good number of heli pilots will convert a flybar to flybraless as well. So a flybarless heli wizard would cover more than 95% of the people, probably more like 99%.

A heli wizard for FBL wouldn't be all that hard to design. Pretty much the Acro wizard except with collective in place of throttle and cyclic for aileron and elevator. Throttle goes on a switch. Might want an optional mix for collective and throttle for those who don't use a governor, though most do. Just don't do that idiot thing that Spektrum does where the collective and throttle are tied together. Nobody who knows how to properly fly a CP heli needs that. Used to annoy the hell out of me when I was using Spekturm.
Aug 20, 2017, 03:46 PM
Adam
I am part of the 1% holdout . I won't be giving up my flybar. Flybar is easier on servos and works well for simple sport flying and more F3C type flying. I am not the norm for sure. I don't really fly Heli's anymore now that I found DLG though so my opinion doesn't count much anymore.

I agree with what you are saying in general with the exception that Align helis are still popular for people getting into RC helis because of their supercombos and as you mentioned, they expect CCPM input from the transmitter.