Jan 28, 2017, 08:08 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Fairey Huntsman 28, 1/10 Scale

Got inspired to build a Fairey Huntsman 28 after watching the 1963 James Bond movie From Russia with Love. In the final scene of the movie James Bond escapes in Fairey Huntress 23 after being chased by Huntsman 28 and two Huntress 23s, one being a long cabin.

Initially I wanted to build a Huntress 23, as I would like to build as many of the boats used in the James Bond movies as possible. Unfortunately I was unable to find any drawings of the Huntress online but did find a drawing of a Huntsman 28 complete with top and side views and hull lines. As nice as it would be to model the hero boat, complete with the fuel barrels and 'roll' off rack, I do prefer the Huntsman 28 with the larger cabin, that I can detail, and twin screws. I have also found a pair of Huntsman 28s, Fairey Fast and Fairey Fast Too, that have been retrofitted with twin 400hp Yanmar Diesels that during their sea trials reached a top speed of 49.8 knots. In my opinion it is one of the best looking cabin cruisers of the 1960's and keeps the speed demon in me happy even at scale speeds.

This will be my first hull that I am building, using traditional techniques.
Last edited by Melbran; Jan 30, 2017 at 08:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2017, 08:50 AM
RCTugger
I will be following your build. Where did you find the top and side line drawing of the boat? I have an existing hull of a Fire Rescue boat, that is 46" long, that I want to cut down and remake into a Fairey Huntsman 28. I too just love their lines and have not ever built one. Thanks,
Dave
Jan 28, 2017, 10:41 AM
Mmm, tugs...
You could buy one of the old Precedent kits, and get the lines from that...
http://www.angliamodelcentre.co.uk/p...odel-boat.html
Jan 28, 2017, 02:46 PM
RCTugger
I found plans at My Hobby Store.
Jan 29, 2017, 02:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctugger
I will be following your build. Where did you find the top and side line drawing of the boat? I have an existing hull of a Fire Rescue boat, that is 46" long, that I want to cut down and remake into a Fairey Huntsman 28. I too just love their lines and have not ever built one. Thanks,
Dave
Found the line drawings of the Huntsman whilst searching through images on Google.

My 3D modeling / CAD skills are nowhere close to Pat's, but I'm going to try use the drawing to make a 3D model on Google Sketchup and print all the frames etc from there. No need to buy a kit but will have to wait and see how the hull turns out as this is the first hull I am building.

The Huntsman 28 is an uncommon model. I have seen a few Huntsman 31 kits but none for the 28, and only a few RC models online. I think there is a set of plans made by Veron for a 1/8 scale Huntsman 28.

General arrangement drawings can also be requested through the Fairey Owners Club. http://www.faireyownersclub.co.uk/
Last edited by Melbran; Jan 29, 2017 at 03:37 AM. Reason: website added
Jan 29, 2017, 03:11 AM
Thread OP

Specifications

The design of the Huntsman and its smaller sister, the Huntress were the inspiration of Ray Hunt and designed by Alan Burnard. These boats enjoyed considerable success in 1960s power boat racing, and came to represent the classic type of the period. The planing hull design has been copied in various guises since. The hull is a relatively deep V with single chine and spray rails. The construction was of laminated mahogany, Once laminated the hulls were cooked in an autoclave to cure the glue. The engines (Twin Perkins T6354 145 hp 5.95 litre turbo diesel) were placed midships under a sloping deck to the cock-pit.

119 Built between 1961 and 1974 (although hulls were numbered 1 - 12 and 23 - 129)

Designers
Alan V Burnard & Ray Hunt (Hull)

Dimensions

LOA: 28' 10" (8.8m)
LWL: ~24' 10" (~7.6m)
Beam: 8' 9" (2.66m)
Draught: 2' 6" (0.76m)
Displacement: 8160lbs (3710kg)

Fuel
90 gallons (410 litres) / 175 nautical mile range

Water
20 gallons (44 litres)

Hull
3/4 inch thick (7 ply) Hot-moulded, resin bonded, Agba (African Mahogany) veneers

Engines & Performance

At a normal weight which includes 6 people, full fuel,
water and all fittings the performance is as follows:

Two Parsons Barracuda 97 hp diesel engines-
Maximum speed at 2,400 r.p.m . (1 hour rating) 22 knots (25 mph) - Fuel consumption, two engines total: 8 gph
Speed at a continuous 2,250 r.p .m. 20 knots (23 mph) - Fuel consumption at this RPM two engines total: 7 gph

Two Perkins Turbo -charged 6-354 135-145 hp diesel engines -
Maximum speed. 30 knots (35 mph) - Fuel consumption, two engines total: 5.5 gph
Cruising 25 knots (29 mph) - Fuel consumption, two engines total: 4.5 gph

Two Graymarine Fireball 225 h.p. petrol engines -
Maximum speed, 35 knots (40 mph )
Jan 29, 2017, 03:29 AM
Thread OP

History

With the success of the 23' Huntress, there was now a demand for a larger boat with twin engines. So the Huntsman 28 was drawn up by Alan Burnard, with Ray Hunt's blessing and so started the range of fast sea going cruisers much sought after by discerning yachtsmen all over the world. Using the basis of the Huntress mould, this was then given more depth as the Huntress freeboard would have been too low for the longer Huntsman. This would in turn give more headroom inside the cabin and a larger boat all round.

Billy Butlin purchased the first production boat in late 1960 and two years later bought another one, called it 'Huntsman' and fitted her with 2 x 275hp. Chrysler V8 petrol engines and raced her in the Cowes-Torquay powerboat race.

Of the 119 boats built, 14 boats competed in the Cowes -Torquay powerboat races over the years.

4 Huntsman 28's and 1 Huntsman 31 also took part and competed in the 1969 Daily Telegraph / B.P. Round Britain powerboat race. Fairey's Sales Director Charles Currey had the distinction of finishing 3rd overall in the 1st ever Daily Express Cowes-Torquay race in 1961 driving 'Diesel Huntsman'. Huntsman 28 'Fordspeed' (race no. 909) also entered and completed the 1972 London - Monte Carlo race.

CONSTRUCTION
Same as the Huntress above but with more laminations

PRICE
Price in 1961 for a factory completed boat was 5,850 including twin Parsons Barracuda diesels.

OF NOTE
The Vancouver Police Department bought 2 hulls back in 1965, which were powered by 2 Chrysler V8 petrol engines. The boats had a mini flybridge fitted and doubled up as ambulances when required.

The French Fire Service converted one boat to a fire-boat with 2 fire monitors mounted on the foredeck. This boat was used on the Seine and was based in central Paris.

Fairey Marine caused quite a stir at the 1962 London Boat Show when they bolted the transom of a 28 hull to a concrete block and proposed to mount it on the stand with the bow pointing skywards. After much deliberation, the Boat Show organizers finally agreed that the boat would not fall over and so allowed it to be placed as Faireys had wanted it!

In October 1973, Jack Cunningham driving his Huntsman 28 'Fordspeed' set a new class speed record of 51.271 mph on Lake Windemere.
Last edited by Melbran; Jan 29, 2017 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Formatting
Jan 29, 2017, 03:32 AM
Thread OP

Construction

Some photos of the construction from the Fairey Owners Club website / archives
Jan 29, 2017, 07:57 AM
Would a rescaled copy of Vic Smeeds 42" Huntsman 28 help?

Regards Ian.
Jan 29, 2017, 04:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlip
Would a rescaled copy of Vic Smeeds 42" Huntsman 28 help?

Regards Ian.
Thanks Ian. Wouldn't mind a copy as reference.

Bit past that stage. Already done the 3D model in Google SketchUp and cut the keel and frames.

Building faster than I can keep the build log updated. Will try update it tomorrow.
Jan 29, 2017, 05:01 PM
Plan has been rescaled from original so dimension sizes of wood on plan are incorrect but thicknesses can be measured. 33.6" = 1/10 scale. Original instructions also supplied.

Regards Ian.
Jan 30, 2017, 06:56 AM
Thread OP

Plans

Ian thanks for the plan you sent me. Could you possibly sent me the original size too?

It appears that my 3D model on Google Sketchup is mostly correct, but I have been able to add more detail to it, especially the interior.

One thing I have noticed is no two boats are the same. There are many differences in interiors, decks, engines etc as each boat has been customized to its owners liking. What I have done is to do the same. I have referenced photos of many different Huntsmen and building the model to my liking.

I used the general arrangement drawing that I found during one of my many Google searches, photos of many different Huntsmen and also referenced a few RC model builds that I found online to make my 3D model on Google Sketchup.

These are some of the screenshots of my 3D model which I will use to print out the frames and keel to cut from 4mm & 6mm plywood.
Jan 30, 2017, 07:47 AM
Thread OP
Wood ordered

4mm Pine Ply for the Frames
6mm Pine Ply for the Keel

2mm Birch Ply for the Hull and Cabin Sheeting

5mm x 5mm and 5mm x 6.5mm Spruce for the stringers

The pine ply is not the best quality but was what was available locally and on a budget.
Jan 30, 2017, 07:57 AM
Thread OP
Printed out the keel and frames from Sketchup.

Cut all the frames by hand with a hand saw. Luckily the ply is quite soft so it cut easily and quickly, but left a rough edge.
I cut all the frames slightly oversize due to the inaccuracy of a hand saw. Filed and sanded to the shape.

Unfortunately the grain doesn't always run correct way and the individual pieces are quite flexible. This is due to the way the wood was cut at the hardware store and needing to conserve material. Hopefully everything will stiffen up once assembled.

Had one casualty. One of the frames snapped at the exact place i was worried about. I will need to add a doubler to reinforce it.

Still some work to do, mainly sanding the frames smooth before assembling. Will probably do that tonight after work.
Jan 30, 2017, 08:03 AM
Thread OP

Construction Methods

As I have mentioned this is the first hull that I am building, using more traditional methods or plank on frame. It is quite different to the construction and production methods used by Fairey Marine to build the Huntsman.

Below is a exert from Wikipedia.

Quote:
The hot moulding process was an adaptation to post war boat building of the method originally developed by de Havillands in the 1930s for "stressed skin" wooden aircraft production, using layers of thin birch plywood sandwiched together with glue over a male mould and "cooked" in a large oven called an “autoclave” By using true mass-production techniques, Fairey Marine were able to turn out vast numbers of identical boats at an unprecedented quality and price. Moulds were constructed from spruce, built up on a steel base plate. Seven by three inches planks cut to the waterplane sections provided the starting point. Working from the sheerline, the planks were built up in a series of steps, arriving quickly at a close representation of the designed shape. Subsequent fairing yielded finished dimensions. Rebates for the keel, stem and transom completed the mould building process. Although the veneers used to produce Fairey boats may appear to be parallel sided, every one was in fact profiled. Rather than shaping each veneer to fit on the mould, as in traditional boat building, Faireys saved an enormous amount of time by sawing complete sets of veneers to precision patterns. Veneers were produced in stacks of six. Boat were then typically built in batches of 24 or 36. Early boats used 1/8″ spruce ply, surplus to the War Department’s de Havilland Mosquito aircraft programme. When this material became unavailable it was replaced by 2.5 mm agba veneers.

Chosen for its high gum content, agba formed easily without splitting and glued well. All the dinghy classes used just three agba veneers while some of the bigger boats used up to six. Initially all the veneers were laid at 45 while later boats changed to fore and aft outer planking for aesthetic reasons. With the keel, stem and transom in place, veneers were applied starting on the centreline and working out towards the shear. Each veneer was held in place by just three staples at the keel, bilge and shearline. Roller-application of Borden One-Shot waterproof glue preceded each veneer except the first. With all veneers in place a vacuum bag was drawn over the moulding and secured in place using a clamp plate and G-clamps. Early vacuum bags were made from war surplus barrage balloon fabric. After about 1950, individual rubber bags were prepared on the moulds using uncured rubber sheets which were subsequently vulcanised in the autoclaves used for production.

Placed in the autoclave, the vacuum was drawn down to 27/28 inches water-gauge and steam at a pressure of some 50 pounds per square inch introduced. Processing took about 45 minutes at 100 C. Curing at elevated temperatures under vacuum not only ensured that all the veneers were firmly consolidated – a process requiring many thousands of staples using the conventional cold-moulding process – but allowed for the use of a truly waterproof, single part, high-temperature curing glue. During the curing process the glue impregnated the wood resulting in a virtually rot-proof finished shell. Components such as side-decks were also hot moulded while other parts required for assembly were cut to patterns in the same way as the skin veneers. For one of the more complex boats, the International 14, the time for final construction from bare hull to finished boat was set at 230-man-hours compared to 400–500 hours associated with traditional construction.

Quick Reply