FWD/REV Micro Brushed ESC - RC Groups
Jan 27, 2017, 07:22 PM
New Product

FWD/REV Micro Brushed ESC

Came along that product which might be of interest for micro size boats, the one without brake specially(For brushed motor):

http://www.banggood.com/MicroRC-5A-B...content=227736
http://www.banggood.com/DasMikro-1S-...content=227736
They are only 2 grams and very small for 5 Amps capacity!
Last edited by coriolan; Jan 27, 2017 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Specify for brushed motor
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2017, 04:48 AM
Looks good if weight and size are very limited, but the 10A (rather larger) one is about the same price and someone has pre fitted wires and plugs. It has a BEC as well, enabling a wider choice of battery.
As with all Chinese ESCs, I would be wary of the current handling claims. Their spec writers do have a reputation for a casual attitude to the placement of decimal points.
Jan 28, 2017, 10:33 AM
Just Plane Nutts
I use this 20A ESC with reverse in my FT007 microboat mod due to it's very small size and very low price...Tiny, but plenty of power headroom: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-RC-ESC-...0AAOSw4GVYIunB

You can judge it's compactness by the size of the plugs attached to it.
Jan 28, 2017, 11:26 AM
Due to their size a good option for small scale plastic models conversion(8" or less)like this one:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...18&postcount=1
Likely to use very small coreless motor or N-20 size driven by an standard servo board, it work but the resolution isn't as good as a real ESC.
Jan 28, 2017, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
I use this 20A ESC with reverse in my FT007 microboat mod due to it's very small size and very low price...Tiny, but plenty of power headroom: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-RC-ESC-...0AAOSw4GVYIunB

You can judge it's compactness by the size of the plugs attached to it.
The spec in the link doesn't mention whether it has a BEC built in. Does it have one to power the rest of the system or is a separate supply required for the RX and servos? I would be dubious about the current handling just looking at the supplied connectors - apart from the extra switch (presumably the brake/no brake switch) it looks a lot like the 10A one, I and I am very dubious about that handling more than a couple of Amps. Just because it is claimed that it will handle motors up to 380 size does not mean that it will survive all of them under continuous load at max voltage.
Jan 28, 2017, 08:35 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr02
The spec in the link doesn't mention whether it has a BEC built in. Does it have one to power the rest of the system or is a separate supply required for the RX and servos? I would be dubious about the current handling just looking at the supplied connectors - apart from the extra switch (presumably the brake/no brake switch) it looks a lot like the 10A one, I and I am very dubious about that handling more than a couple of Amps. Just because it is claimed that it will handle motors up to 380 size does not mean that it will survive all of them under continuous load at max voltage.
No issues with it so far. Odd that they do not list specs for the BEC, but it does power the RX. I wouldn't try 20A loads without adding a heat sink first. I did just that, though I really doubt my little FT007 will ever draw 20 amps unless I short the leads together

For a tiny package that includes all connectors and such, it's hard to beat.
Sep 16, 2017, 11:43 AM
I have seen servos taken apart and used to power small boats, forward reverse ect right there in one package. I think I saw it on a 1/72nd scale tug boat. was very cool set up. mount your motor now turning a prop instead of the servo gears, plug into reciever with case removed and spray good with corrosion x for protection and its ready to go. there are bigger servo's as well. the one I saw used was a standard futaba 148 from many years ago. A high torque servo would give you all the power needed to spin the prop for your ship, I am sure.
Last edited by Expresscraft; Sep 16, 2017 at 11:49 AM.
Sep 26, 2017, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expresscraft
I have seen servos taken apart and used to power small boats, forward reverse ect right there in one package. I think I saw it on a 1/72nd scale tug boat. was very cool set up. mount your motor now turning a prop instead of the servo gears, plug into reciever with case removed and spray good with corrosion x for protection and its ready to go. there are bigger servo's as well. the one I saw used was a standard futaba 148 from many years ago. A high torque servo would give you all the power needed to spin the prop for your ship, I am sure.
The disadvantage of using a gutted servo is that there is next to no deadband, making a complete stop difficult.
On the plus side, if you are using a transmitter with mechanical trims, you can use the trim sliders as an "engine room telegraph". I used them in my Lindberg conversions a lot of years ago, when "real" speed controls were too bulky and heavy apart from being expensive.
The advent of the low cost small ESCs at little more than the price of a servo has now, for me, rendered butchered servos redundant. For the most part, the 10A ones do a good job for my purposes where I am probably drawing nothing like 10 amps, I don't know if the 20A ones are actually higher rated or just more optimistically labelled. The main question for me is providing a power switch that can handle the current drawn.