Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Prop-Shop Hobbies-RCGroups Spotlight

In today's world of big box stores and free two-day shipping, it's easy to forget the local hobby shop. These mom and pop shops have been the heart of our beloved hobbies for decades, and it's time we show them some love and shop locally. Let's take a trip with Mean Joe over to Prop-Shop Hobbies and see what all the hype is about!

Splash

Local Spotlight

LHS:Prop-Shop Hobbies
Store Hours:Mon-Fri. 11-7, Sat. 10-5
Address:23326 VanDyke, Warren Michigan 48089
Phone:586-757-7160
On The Web:Prop Shop Hobbies

Prop-Shop Hobbies in Warren Michigan is the epitome of the "old school" mom and pop hobby shop. With something for everyone its definitely worth the trip for anyone looking for that one-on-one local hobby shop experience.

Let's take a walk with Mean Joe and check out this local landmark hobby shop!

The Shop

Prop-Shop Hobbies was established in 1975 by sheet metal worker Thomas Brubaker and quickly became the go-to local hobby shop. Tom quickly became know as a "parts guy", if you needed a part for something, Tom was the guy to see. The original store started out in an 1100 square foot building and after a decade of locally serving the needs of all hobbyist moved to its current site. Tom was the first Local Hobby shop in the area to completely computerize his inventory! When Tom unfortunately passed in 2005 his son Matt took over the family business and has been running it since.

Prop Shop Hobbies - RCGroups Spotlight (2 min 42 sec)

The current facility is a 3200 square foot building that is just packed with all of the stuff you may need no matter what hobby it is that grabs you. The entire store is very well organized. No matter what you're after you should have no problems finding it fast! The staff of 5 is super helpful and very knowledgeable on the products that they have.

There are sections to cover just about everything you could think of. They stock plastic models, control line, balsa kits, slot cars, r/c planes, r/c cars, rockets, drones, equipment, paints, tools, and yes they even have ARFs of all shapes and sizes. You just don't find a LHS very often with this kind of stock. I think you would be hard pressed to find anything on your list that they did not have in stock. Matt and the whole crew at Prop-Shop Hobbies do a fantastic job!

In Closing

In closing, I encourage everyone to seek out their local hobby shops and shop there as often as possible. The local mom and pop shop has been the lifeblood of or hobbies for decades and decades. Let us all try to do what we can to keep them open and thriving amongst all the big box store and internet giants. Don't let the LHS go the way of the dictionary, phone booth, yellow pages, and drive-in theater.

Shop Info

Prop-Shop Hobbies is located a 23326 Van Dyke, Warren Michigan 48089

Store hours are 6 days a week, Monday thru Friday 11-7 and Saturday 10-5.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Feb 01, 2017 at 10:02 AM..
Old Jan 27, 2017, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by DSCOTT1
Truly a great hobbie shop.
A long way from my house but I go there 4 or 5 times a year
Old Jan 27, 2017, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by jacobault2001
that is an awesome hobby shop and would absolutely love to visit but Warren, Michigan is a LITTLE too far from where im at.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 07:20 AM
Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
The Prop Shop is the BEST Hobby Shop in southeastern Michigan! They have a great selection of balsa, covering, and hardware for old school scratch builders like myself. It's a bit of a drive for me but make several trips a year to stock up for coming projects. Matt is a great guy as is the rest of his staff. I wished I lived a bit closer to support them more.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 07:41 AM
Find More Posts by FoxProGT
This is the best hobby shop for rc aircraft related items that I've been to. I found a few parts for my planes that other hobby shops didn't have. Ill check for parts at Prop Shop before ill check online or any where else.
Last edited by FoxProGT; Jan 28, 2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:37 PM
Find More Posts by jollyroger
I stopped in there several years ago on my way to visit my brother and his wife who live downriver in Trenton.
This is a hobby shop and a half! I've been in hobby shops in the Chicago area, Burbank and even Hobby People. The prop hop has them all beat.
I can come up with a number of excuses to drive down there from Up North.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by 61ahs
Me too Jolly. I've visited hobby shops all over the country and few can compare to the Prop Shop. 92 miles away from my house and I still shop there frequently. There are two local hobby shops that I also support, but they can't hold a candle to the Prop Shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger View Post
I stopped in there several years ago on my way to visit my brother and his wife who live downriver in Trenton.
This is a hobby shop and a half! I've been in hobby shops in the Chicago area, Burbank and even Hobby People. The prop hop has them all beat.
I can come up with a number of excuses to drive down there from Up North.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by mrittinger
Gravity sucks.
I'm very luck thet they are essentially in my back yard..5 miles away. Matt has amazing prices, great service, and can get anything you want if he doesn't have it. *****
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by totegote
If Matt was to stock one more item, he would have to add a second story to that building.
I've been making trips to the Prop Shop for years.
The staff is very helpful and pleasant. They seem to remember every face and probably everybody's name.
When you walk out of the Prop Shop, you are carrying more than you intended to buy.
Kind of scary if you think about it.

Good job Matt.

Dan
Last edited by totegote; Jan 29, 2017 at 10:22 AM. Reason: connection between brain and keyboard failure.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:12 PM
Find More Posts by atlav8r
Happy to see this thread!
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 29, 2017, 07:44 PM
Find More Posts by Tony E
Hey, I was there this past Friday! Matt and crew are excellent. You truly can find something for whatever your hobby is. Funny, As I was walking out I notice some items for gold mining.

Many of the guys I fly with frequent this LHS. We cant wait to get out and fly this season.

Keep up the good work.

Tony
Old Jan 30, 2017, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by kydawg1
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Yep great store....
Old Jan 30, 2017, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by carlcorn
On of my favorite stores in town. Even though it is across town I make the drive on a regular basis. He manages to keep up with new trends while keeping what is needed to keep the traditional builder happy. Always pleasant and helpful staff!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 06:20 PM
Find More Posts by DesignGeek
DESIGNOSAUR
Cool thread!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by Rob_P
It's an Aladin's cave full of the best in R/C supported by very friendly & helpful staff.
If I have any questions about a new product or need some advise, I just ask Matt!!

Rob