Jan 27, 2017, 08:31 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

safety first: arming switch

considering how most electric planes have to be prepared for flying, i was wondering why we need to open a hatch/canopy to connect the battery and take chances of having the motor started by accidentally touching the throttle stick.
even many years ago, when futaba released the first radio special for electrics, it had an arming switch that you had to press just before launching the plane, so you didnt have the risk of starting the motor by accident.
then, why we dont do it this way, that is an improvement on safety, but have to go through this pre-historic routine?
when i flew small r/c elecric planes i used a plug that closed the circuit of the battery and the plane was ready for flying. but when i got into larger planes, what i saw was that all do the plug-in battery removing the hatch. then i got this idea of using a larger plug, and started a thread here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-for-electrics
with the input i received, i got the idea of using a connector, not a switch, that could be plugged in, as i did with my smaller planes.
but this time not to the live wire, but to the radio itself, as this way it didnt have to handle that larger capacity battery. this way electronically it does not have to be larger. between the esc and the receiver. so i did it and seems to work. will try at the field when the weather allows and tell, but to me, it seems that it is o k. this is the 1 am using: http://www.radicalrc.com/item/DEANS-...ack-Set-101273

lets see with more detail the difference between the 2 ways:
>>>the usual way:
1.-open the hatch;
2.-install the battery (but dont connect it yet);
3.-turn ON the transmitter;
4. connect the battery to the esc (motor is armed);
5.-close the hatch. (remember that the motor is armed. you flip the throttle by chance and then you get it).
6.-walk to the place where your plane is going to take-off (or launch it);
7.-throttle up the motor and launch it (or take-off).
then after every flight you have to:
8.- open the hatch;
9.-unplug the battery (it is until then that the motor is not armed anymore);
10.-turn OFF the transmitter.
if you do more than 1 flight, 1 after another, repeat 8/9/10

>>>or when using the connector:
1.- open the hatch (the plug is not connected);
2.- install and connect the battery. no plug nothing (if you have it installed from home skip steps 1, 2 and 3);
3.-close the hatch;
4.-at the point and moment when you are going to launch the plane (or take-off);
turn ON the transmitter;
5.-connect plug in (receiver ON and now the motor is armed);
6.-start the motor and launch (or take-off);
7.-at landing, unplug the connector (no open hatch nothing);
8.- turn OFF the transmitter.
after every landing, if you are going to fly again-or not:
repeat 7 and 8.
and, yes, there is an extra connection (the connector), 1 more chance that something can fail. but it is not an electronic connection; it is electric, that depends on solder. but the contact is more solid than using a switch, that has moving parts.
>>>i got input from John (jj604). he uses a small switch placed at a different position, for the same purpose. it is detailed at the thread i posted before. the important thing is that it works.
after thinking this over, i must emphasize the most important fact is that it improves safety: this way there is 1 more lock that has to be overriden in order to have the motor armed. not only to make life easier. and is located on the plane, not the radio. you plug or unplug it independently from the radio. so, no way to touch it by mistake, as may happen with switches on the transmitter.
so, then again, why radios dont have a pushbutton on the receiver, that activates (arms) the motor, instead of using a switch on the transmitter?
i still believe it is safer...

an update: just learned that the Apprentice, a model from horizon hobbies, has an arming switch, so if they are doing this, they may know that it is a safety device that is necessary. otherwise, do you think that they are going to spend money on something that is not an improvement? think about it.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/apprenti...nology-efl3180
Last edited by phil alvirez; Feb 01, 2017 at 11:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2017, 02:40 PM
Fire Marshall Bill
You left out the step that I think most use

3.-turn ON the transmitter;
3.5 Flip on the Throttle Hold Switch
4. connect the battery to the esc (motor is NOT armed);
5.-close the hatch.
6.-walk to the place where your plane is going to take-off (or launch it);
6.5 Disengage Throttle Hold Switch
7.-throttle up the motor and launch it (or take-off).
then after every flight you have to:
7.5 Engage Throttle Hold Switch
8.- open the hatch;
9.-unplug the battery
10.-turn OFF the transmitter.
if you do more than 1 flight, 1 after another, repeat 8/9/10

Never had a problem with religious use of TH
Jan 28, 2017, 04:03 PM
Thread OP

on the plane

well, i do have the motor ON-OFF switch too, and i use it.
i just did not want to mention it on the routine, as it has nothing to do with this.
the point is that you still may turn it by accident.
the arming switch/connector goes into the plane: that is what makes the difference.
it is absolutely foolproof, as it does not matter what mistakes you may make with the transmitter.
do you get it?
if not, we are waisting our time.

and in point 3.5 you should say: check that the motor ON-OFF switch in OFF. (meaning that the motor does not run).
(i believe that it is safer to say 'motor ON' or 'motor OFF')
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jan 28, 2017 at 04:16 PM.
Jan 28, 2017, 06:04 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez
well, i do have the motor ON-OFF switch too, and i use it.
i just did not want to mention it on the routine, as it has nothing to do with this.
the point is that you still may turn it by accident.
Not on my setups you can't. Due to the genius of OpenTX it's possible to implement a far safer "sticky" throttle cut that uses Boolean logic to guarantee the throttle can only be activated if multiple conditions are met. On most models I just have it require the throttle stick be at zero when the throttle kill is deactivated, but I've recently added a third AND condition that requires the momentary to be held simultaneously to enable the throttle to become live. Combined with the built in safety features of all modern ESCs this makes it impossible for the throttle to go instantly live at the point of switching on.
Jan 28, 2017, 07:46 PM
Thread OP

solution for the masses

o k, so you are an exception. you have a radio that can do this that you said. and you have the knowledge to do that. great. congratulations.
but, with which radios is this possible? and with what knowledge? i dont think there are so many radios and so many fellows who own them and that know all that takes to do so.
on the other hand, what i use and propose, can be achieved with simple tools and radios, that the vast majority have.
so, have it your way, and let simple people with simple radios go this way.
so long...
wasnt Albert Einstein who said that
Any intelligent man can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius-and a lot of courage-to move in the opposite direction.
Jan 29, 2017, 02:21 AM
Good point MattyB

Spinning props are motivation enough. Most tx use TH. Use common sense.

It can be dangerous around kids or pets...or drinking buddies.

I use leather glove to start fuel planes because I know I wrack my fingers when I don't use a glove.
Jan 29, 2017, 02:27 AM
Some people--I mean me--blow the snow off the esc on their foamies with their face next to the prop with it ready to fly.

I'm too pretty anyway so it doesn't worry me.

If it wasn't dangerous it would be boring.
Jan 29, 2017, 02:58 AM
Thread OP

see ya at my blog

guys, i am amazed of how quickly people respond to a new thread with comments that not only dont help, but sends the thread to the garbage can.
congratulations. you succeded to make me close this thread.
now, if some1 wants to keep in touch, i have a post at my blog where i am discussing it and you can participate. here, it is not my house, so any1 can-and does-participate with any comment and i am unable to erase it.
but at my blog...that is my house, and there i can erase any post that is not polite, precise and to the point.
so, welcome whoever you are, as long as you bring comments that are...you know my rules.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Feb 01, 2017 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply