Jan 26, 2017, 10:07 PM
Gone Flyin'
Discussion

BigSky F5J 2017

The Helena Flying Tigers will be hosting the first annual BigSky F5J contest on Friday 8/18/2017. This contest is part of the USA Tour, and the day before Helena's annual two day ALES event.

Pilots meeting at 8:30am. The pilots meeting will be brief used only for clarification questions and points the CD desires to make. The goal is to ask any clarification questions to the organizers via email prior to the event. We will fly preliminary rounds until 2:PM followed by 2 or 3 flyoff rounds. 30 to 50% of pilots in the flyoffs depending on participation.
Prizes awarded through 3rd place.

Contact me Here to be added to the pilots list, we will require a minimum of 24 hour notice.
Entry fee will be $20 and AMA membership is required.
This event will be flown using standard FAI F5J rules, except that motor restarts will be permitted and if used will result in a zero score for the round

Below there are links to the FAI rules and the F5J USA web site.

FAI F5J Rules

F5J USA

Models flown will be equipped with an approved F5J logging altimeter.
The list of currently approved altimeters is below.

Altis v3
Altis v4+
Altis v4
Altis Micro
CAMF5J
Grk Elec Altmr2
Mvario2_JetiBox
RCE #2Basic
RCE Multi 2
SM Unilog 2

Pilots List:
Fred Maier
Curtis Suter
Josh Spurrell
Greg Douglas
Jon Garber
Carl Thuesen
Don McCullough
Aric Wilmunder
Larry Jolly
Philip Brister 602356
Last edited by Rod Musgjerd; Aug 17, 2017 at 02:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2017, 02:31 PM
Red Merle ALES VII SJ
Awesome! I'm in!
Looking forward to this for sure.
Curtis
Last edited by Curtis Suter; Feb 20, 2017 at 02:39 PM.
Mar 09, 2017, 01:38 AM
Team USA F5J
This is gonna be fun! Can't wait.

Jon
Latest blog entry: My sailplanes
May 27, 2017, 08:23 PM
Gone Flyin'
Pilots list is up to date.
Latest blog entry: Xplorer F5J
Jun 09, 2017, 08:11 PM
MNZONA SOAR
Count me in Rod. Brad
Jun 12, 2017, 10:12 PM
Camber down and screw it up.

Reminder: F5J Practice session Sat. 17 Jun, 9:30AM

Just a reminder that we will be having an F5J Practice / fun contest this coming Sat., 17 Jun 2017 at Wayne's farm in E. Helena.
Pilot's meeting at 9:30AM.

This is to familiarize those pilots who may not be sure if they want to try F5J. All I can say is; Come on out and give it a try! It's actually FUN. It's not hard at all. Just bring the same plane you bring for a regular ALES contest. We'll have a couple extra Altis altitude display/timers available to borrow, or you can even use a regular CAM ALES limiter, and preset your altitude to 100, 150, or 200 meters. There will be lots of people who can help you change the altitude shut-off if you want to try something lower than ALES' 200m cutoff.

If you've ever wanted to give F5J a try, or just see what it's all about, and how it differs from ALES, then come on out Sat. morning.

Hope to see you all there.

--
Greg Douglas
Jun 16, 2017, 07:08 PM
Gone Flyin'
After talking with several club members we have decided to cancel the F5J practice scheduled for tomorrow due to the weather forecast. We will make an attempt to reschedule but there aren't many open weekends left. Possibly the 1st. Of July or the 5th of Aug.

Rod.
Latest blog entry: Xplorer F5J
Jul 09, 2017, 11:45 PM
Can a regular CAM unit be used for the August contest? Since we know the cutoff height, although I am not sure if this will work or not.....never flown an F5J event in my life.
Jul 10, 2017, 01:15 AM
Camber down and screw it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rskiba
Can a regular CAM unit be used for the August contest? Since we know the cutoff height, although I am not sure if this will work or not.....never flown an F5J event in my life.
Hi.
A regular Soaring Circuits CAM unit cannot be used for F5J, sorry. The only timer/altitude displays allowed are:
Altis v3
Altis v4+
Altis v4
Altis Micro
CAMF5J
Grk Elec Altmr2
Mvario2_JetiBox
RCE #2Basic
RCE Multi 2
SM Unilog 2

SUSA has a very good price on the Altis V4+ (pretty much the standard one that most of the pilots in the US use) at $66.

I have a spare one you are welcome to use for the day, we'll hook it up and get you going, it goes inline exactly like your CAM unit.

If you've flown ALES, you should definitely try F5J. It's not that much more complicated, and if you make it known that it's your first time flying F5J, someone with experience should be able to time for you and tell you what's going on.

In the mean time, please read Chris B's excellent F5J primer, at the f5j-usa web site.

I hope you decide to give it a try. Most everyone agrees that F5J is a lot of fun because of the strategy involved.

--
Greg
Jul 10, 2017, 08:39 AM