Miss Norway, New year, new classic - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 26, 2017, 09:09 PM
Closed Account
Discussion

Miss Norway, New year, new classic

While I have a couple builds nearing completion I thought it was time to start a new classic. In the past I have built airplanes and helicopters that I have an emotional connection with, usually from my youth. In this case I will be building a Miss Norway. My father built one in the late '70's. It was finished with silkspan and dope and powered with a Webra 10cc blackhead. After a while as we tend to do he got bored with it. That's when I stepped in and stripped the finish off it and refinished it in Monokote. I bolted in a Webra Speed .61 that I received for Christmas in '81. The airplane flew as well as could be expected considering my lack of trimming knowledge at the time. It eventually met a garbage bag due to radio failure.

This time around it will have retracts, an Enya .60X AL Chrome that I just picked up from Tony F and a few modern touches like dual aileron servos etc. The other minor detail is that I had the plans printed up at 105%, this brings the span up to 60.5" from 57". The additional size will make adding the retracts a bit easier. I will be using a mechanical nose gear and electric mains.

The color scheme has been selected as well. I think most of us has seen this magazine cover and appreciated the artwork. I will be duplicating this color scheme in white, pearl orange and metallic blue.
Last edited by exf3bguy; Feb 05, 2017 at 05:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2017, 10:35 PM
Scott
Cool Shawn. With retracts comes a Tuned Pipe?? I happen to know where there is a carbon fiber pipe that would fit perfectly on that plane.

Scott
Jan 26, 2017, 10:39 PM
Another build thread!
Jan 26, 2017, 10:46 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylonracr
Cool Shawn. With retracts comes a Tuned Pipe?? I happen to know where there is a carbon fiber pipe that would fit perfectly on that plane.

Scott

It just so happens I have a header on the way but no pipe as of yet. We will need to talk about a CF pipe for sure.
Jan 27, 2017, 11:24 AM
West Coast Director, CPA
This is going to be great!

I remember that mag cover, and a different month had a top view also in a 45 up line IIRC. I look forward to your build thread, and seeing it in person as well.

Robert
Jan 27, 2017, 02:56 PM
South Carolina Lowcountry
I can't wait for this one.I had one back then.It was my favorite airplane at the time.
Jan 27, 2017, 06:29 PM
I'm enthused to see how this thread continues as I have a kit tucked away that needs to be built.
Jan 27, 2017, 08:17 PM
Wow those are a couple of nicely crafted airplanes. Read the signatures on Ernst's Miss Norway model .

Jim
Last edited by jpurcha; Jan 28, 2017 at 08:18 PM.
Jan 27, 2017, 08:33 PM
Closed Account
Jon, thanks for posting those pictures. Ernst is a craftsman no doubt. My first task with this build is to fab up the firewall/engine mount/tank floor/retract mount. In order to do that I need all the parts here. The nose gear is on the way so when that shows up I will start cutting wood.
Jan 27, 2017, 10:55 PM
Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy
It just so happens I have a header on the way but no pipe as of yet. We will need to talk about a CF pipe for sure.
Well Crap... Let me open my mouth a little bigger and stick the other foot in it!

Edit to first post - Cool plane Shawn. I am sure it will fly GREAT with that muffler on it.......

I do happen to have a prototype muffled pipe I made that I need test flown. I made 2, the other is on my Dirty Birdy, but since I haven't flown it since I changed from the aluminum brick pipe I still don't know how well it works.

I think we need to negotiate a little bit here on the price, because I can't afford to "sell" it to you for the same price I gave you the last 6 gallons of fuel for. The price will definitely change depending on if you come alone or bring Trixy, and it will change each time we make a trip into my wine cellar.

Scott
Jan 27, 2017, 11:07 PM
Closed Account
It may be cheaper to pay you to deliver it. LOL
Jan 27, 2017, 11:11 PM
Scott
Safe Bet.
Jan 28, 2017, 03:16 AM
CPA #100
Quote:
Very cool airplane. The designer Ernst Totland is still active. Let me know if you have any questions for him, I'm happy to forward them.
Jon,
Great pics. Glad to see Ernst is alive and active. Give him a Hi from this side of the pond for us. The big question Ive been wondering for a while is, does he have plans, dimensions, specs or anything for the MK IV version? Very nice looking. I have allways wanted to build one. I'm sure others here would agree.

Shawn, Looking forward to the build. Subscribed.

Paul
Jan 28, 2017, 07:14 AM
Shawn,

Very nice choice! That Enya will hall the mail!

Mark