Range Video Headplay SE - RCGroups Review - RC Groups

Range Video Headplay SE - RCGroups Review

RCGroups has one of three prototypes of the Headplay SE. Jim Graham gives a tour of the goggles and what you get.

Splash

Sneak Peek at the New Headplay SE!

If you have watched any of my FPV videos you know I always have at least one Headplay unit on me. I was excited to find out that Range Video sent one of three prototypes to RCGroups to review. I was able to spend some time with this unit and get to know it. I checked out all the menus, got some flight time in and utilized the DVR.

The Headplay SE is due out later this month. Some things to get excited about is that it comes with an external DVR. The unit plugs directly into the Headplay unit (no soldering). It also ships with a set of magnifiers like the kind I have paid over $40 for in the past. The receiver has been upgraded and more.

Check out my video to see some of the things I'm talking about and and get a feel for the new Headplay SE.

Headplay SE FPV Unit - Range Video - RCGroups.com Review (11 min 24 sec)

So these are working great for me. The included binocular magnifier is perfect for my eyes and the DVR is very straightforward and works. I look forward to getting out to the field and flying these on multiple FPV units.

Headplay SE Info

DVR

• Solid performance - no image cropping or black screen
  • Records analog video to microSD card in .AVI format
  • Authentic HMDVR design
  • Video recording resolution: VGA (640 x 480) , D1 (720x480) , HD (1280x480)

Low latency LCD

• 15ms low latency video - even during active DVR recording
  • Never blue or black screen during FPV

New Binocular Lens

• Binocular acrylic lens is included and offers a more narrow FOV for racing
  • F220 mm fresnel lens comes installed and offers a very immersive feeling

New 5.8 GHz Video Receiver with Autoscan

• Designed by Hawkeye
  • Improved sensitivity
  • 40 channels with Raceband

AV-In

• Connect the Headplay to your existing FPV receiver
  • AV-in and AV-out are connected to the DVR
  • Possible to disconnect the DVR and DIY connect AV-in (i.e. 1.3 GHz video Rx) to the AV-input

HDMI-in for HD FPV

• Smart design prevents cable from snapping if pulled by accident
  • Plug-and-play with HD FPV links and drones such as the Inspire and Connex

XT60 Connector

• Simple and smart battery holder for standard 2S-4S racing packs with XT60 connector
  • OSD voltage display with low battery warning
  • Voltage display can be moved to any corner of the screen or turned off

Learn More at Range Video

Head on over to the Range Video site to get updates on when to expect this unit and what it will cost.

Jan 26, 2017, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the review. Here are photos of the final DVR unit.
Jan 26, 2017, 04:40 PM
Looking good! Any ETA when these will be on retailers shelves?
Jan 26, 2017, 04:57 PM
should be first of february
Jan 26, 2017, 06:05 PM
Stupid gravity!
Nice upgrade. The new lens is key. Wish list for next version - diversity receiver, integrated DVR control with the goggle buttons. Either way, I'm sending some money over to Rangevideo!
Jan 26, 2017, 06:27 PM
What's the new FOV?
Jan 26, 2017, 07:35 PM
What's the price point for these? Also, I take it you can't record video from an HDMI signal like a quad running Connex Prosight?
Last edited by Snooptalian; Jan 26, 2017 at 08:35 PM.
Jan 27, 2017, 07:40 AM
If the new DVR could work with the old HP units, that would be perfect.
Jan 27, 2017, 08:07 AM
I'm missing what the big improvements are. Besides the lens, the dvr looks just like a hmdvr from banggood or hobbyking with modified wiring to plug right in. Autoscan is good, but no diversity?? The eachine vr d2's are $99, but I got them for 79 on sale, with dvr thats better than the hmdvr and not as big and bulky and diversity. eachine also makes an hd version with hdmi input.
Jan 27, 2017, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbohlen
I'm missing what the big improvements are. Besides the lens, the dvr looks just like a hmdvr from banggood or hobbyking with modified wiring to plug right in. Autoscan is good, but no diversity?? The eachine vr d2's are $99, but I got them for 79 on sale, with dvr thats better than the hmdvr and not as big and bulky and diversity. eachine also makes an hd version with hdmi input.
Have you seen both the HP & Eachine HD's to compare the quality of flying experience in order to compare the two on price point ?

Just curious as many haven't so I don't see the correlation when it comes down to it :shrug:

If anyone is worried about bulk they won't buy either...
Jan 27, 2017, 09:36 AM
I fail to see how that dvr could record a hd signal.
Jan 27, 2017, 09:47 AM
PSALM 14:1
Do we know the price of these yet?
Jan 27, 2017, 09:56 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
I believe the issue with many headsets is the focal distance so the magnifier is nice addition , the DVR seems to be the typical HMDVR/Eachine ProDVR.
The main question will be screen resolution and quality vs similar offerings such as the Eachine Goggles 2 which offers a 1080p screen, both have HDMI so are good for linking to a pc and playing Drone League or similar on your headset.
Jan 27, 2017, 11:14 AM

Actual Screen Resolution?

Am I just missing it? None of the threads / spec listings I've seen have the ACTUAL screen resolution. Lists the DVR recording res, but not actual screen.
Jan 27, 2017, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxed
Am I just missing it? None of the threads / spec listings I've seen have the ACTUAL screen resolution. Lists the DVR recording res, but not actual screen.
Couldn't imagine it being less than the predecessor of 1280x800