This thread is privately moderated by mlilasic, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 25, 2017, 04:57 PM
FPV addict
Mini-Review

FrSKY XSRF3E - F3Evo FC with integrated full telemetry XSR receiver

Full Review of FrSKY XSRF3E - F3Evo Flight Controller with integrated full telemetry XSR receiver

Intro:

Modern trends on quad scene are going into miniaturization and integration of electronic flight elements into combo.
First appeared 4in1 ESCs, which I really like because I think they make possible better and cleaner builds.
Than PDB+FC+OSD combinations came etc…
With appearance of tiny whoop micro style quads I saw combination of FC and receiver and I own QX70 70mm and QX90 90mm micro quad which came as BNF version with F3 brushed FC with integrated D8 FrSky compatible receiver and it works great.

Now FrSky joined this style and made this great product XSRF3E - F3Evo FC with integrated full telemetry XSR receiver.
I am very excited about this product as it will enable us super light and clean builds of which I am great fan. Especially, XSRF3E in combination with 4in1 ESC (with onboard 5vBEC) build will look super clean.

Specifications XSRF3E (taken from FrSky site):
  • Dimension: 36×36×6mm (L × W × H) with 30.5mm mounting holes
  • Hardware: STM32F303 CPU (72Mhz inc FPU), MPU9250 (accelerometer/gyro/compass), and BMP280 barometer for F3E
  • Weight: 6g
  • Channels: 16CH (8CH is RSSI) by SBUS to UART2 Rx of F3E, Smart Port of XSR to UART3 Tx of F3E
  • Operating Voltage Range: 4.0~10V
  • Operating Current: 200mA@5V
  • Compatibility: FrSky Taranis X9D/X9D-Plus/X9E/ Horus X12S/XJT in D16 mode
  • Firmware: Upgradeable

Features:
  • Built-in F3E and XSR receiver module
  • Features the latest Accelerometer, Gyro and Compass and Baro sensor technology
  • XSR receiver is a full duplex telemetry receiver, it will receive the commands of radio and send to F3E by SBUS (8CH is RSSI) to UART2 Rx of F3E, it can also send telemetry information back to radio by smart port
  • After configuration, you can use the FrSky X9D/X9D-Plus/X9E radio (wireless) to set the PID parameters for XSRF3E
  • 6 PWM output signal lines for ESCs and Servos. Arranged for easy wiring on standard pin headers

Software:
  • The F3E runs the open-source Cleanflight/ Betaflight flight control (FC) software and firmware upgradeable (SPRACINGF3EVO), the factory firmware is betaflight_3.0.1_XSRF3E
  • The XSR receiver runs the software which was developed by FrSky and firmware upgradeable.

In the box:

Overview:

Compatibility:

Buy yours XSRF3E here:
FrSky XSRF3E Flight Control Built-In F3 EVO & XSR 16CH CPPM SUBS Telemetry Receiver

BetaFlight settings and configuration dump:

The factory firmware is BetaFlight/SPRACINGF3EVO 3.0.0 Sep 28 2016 / 14:19:58.
These are screenshots of original configuration and LINK to download complete dump of settings.

I wont be using BF3.0.0 as it does not support Dshot protocol, so I will upgrade to latest BF FW, which is now BF3.1.0

Updating to BetaFlight 3.1.0

FW can be updated and to do that SPRACINGF3EVO target should be used.
More info in post #3.

XSRF3E settings:

Upgrading receiver FW:

More info in post #2.

Conclusion: 

I really can only highly recommend this FC & receiver combo. Its brand (FrSky) provides insurance of quality and future support, and second, it enables us light and clean builds.

Pros:
  • integrated 16CH SBUS XSR receiver
  • per-flashed and per-configured to work out of the box - plug `n play
  • clean and light build
  • RSSI on CH8 for forwarding to ODS
  • full duplex telemetry to UART3 port on the F3Evo
  • PID tuning over transmitter telemetry display - article (is in DE language, use google translate)
  • detachable antennas for easy maintenance

Cons:
  • no onboard blackbox
  • not F4

Sugestion for next revision of this Combo:
  • Flash onboard storage for blackbox
  • Onboard 5V BEC that will enable FC and XSR to run directly from LiPo battery
  • F4 processor

TODO: DONE
Last edited by mlilasic; Aug 08, 2017 at 09:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2017, 04:57 PM
FPV addict

Upgrading receiver FW

Upgrading receiver FW:

Built-in receiver has INT and EU FWs.
There are SPort pins on the board which are used to upgrade XSR receiver.
NOTICE: FW for this receiver that is in combo with F3 FC board is NOT the same as the FW for standalone receivers.

FW is available online on frsky web:

Unzip it

and transfer it to SD card in folder FIRMWARE

Preparation for FW flashing in gallery and video:

XSRF3E XSR FW Flashing with Taranis Q X7 (2 min 13 sec)
Last edited by mlilasic; Apr 08, 2017 at 02:33 AM.
Jan 25, 2017, 05:18 PM
FPV addict

Upgrading FC FW (SPRACINGF3EVO)

Upgrading FC FW (SPRACINGF3EVO)

Stock drivers would not appear in BF flashing tool, so this process is necessary:

Installing Zadig -> changing DFU drivers to WINUSB

Video of whole process and quick setup of fresh BetaFlight:

XSRF3E flashing latest BF (4 min 13 sec)
Last edited by mlilasic; Apr 07, 2017 at 07:20 PM.
Jan 25, 2017, 05:39 PM
FPV addict
Build Log in post #3 of this my blog entry:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostid=37379647
Last edited by mlilasic; Aug 08, 2017 at 08:34 AM.
Jan 28, 2017, 08:03 PM
KK4NZS / RP sUAS
whaaaaat Niceee.. I was wondering when they were planning on getting into the Multirotor Arena.
Jan 30, 2017, 10:46 AM
Alex
My review and some setup photos:

Frame: KDS Kylin 210
Cam: Foxeer 700TVL
VideoTX: 5.8Ghz DalRC 600mW
Antenna: clover, Aomway
Flight board: FrSky XSRF3E (F3Evo with built-in XSR)
Power DB: FlyMod.net BEC/ZMR
Motors: KDS Kylin 2204 2300kv
ESC: KDS Kylin 20A OneShot125
LiPO: FlyMod.net 1,300mAh, 4S, 45-90C
Props: 5x4x3
Total weight (everything except LiPO): 300g
Last edited by Datos; Jan 30, 2017 at 10:53 AM.
Feb 04, 2017, 06:09 PM
concerning the "PID tuning over transmitter telemetry display", I guess they mean that:
https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight-tx-lua-scripts

The blog entry they point at is absolutely outdated! Documentation is coming as soon as I get to... Now that FrSky is officially advertising with my code, am I going to get free stuff from them? :-D
Feb 06, 2017, 02:23 AM
FPV addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by pafleraf
concerning the "PID tuning over transmitter telemetry display", I guess they mean that:

The blog entry they point at is absolutely outdated! Documentation is coming as soon as I get to... Now that FrSky is officially advertising with my code, am I going to get free stuff from them? :-D

Thanks for comment and info pafleraf.

Great job you did with lua scripts, the idea to tune PIDs over FrSky transmitter is brilliant. I have iPhone/iPad that cant connect to FC over USB port, so I always have to drag around laptop. You definitely deserve some perks from Frsky

Please let me know when you are done with documentation so I can update link in my post, or send me the link were you plan to put it, and I will wait for it there.
Feb 06, 2017, 02:25 AM
FPV addict
Upgrading receiver FW

Got info emailed to me from Frsky " the technician said you can flash the integrated XSR same as standard xsr through Sbus port. The firmware you can download from our websites."

Update: fw is available on
http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/ind...d=0&pro_id=176
Last edited by mlilasic; Feb 24, 2017 at 09:09 AM.
Feb 07, 2017, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlilasic
Thanks for comment and info pafleraf.

Great job you did with lua scripts, the idea to tune PIDs over FrSky transmitter is brilliant. I have iPhone/iPad that cant connect to FC over USB port, so I always have to drag around laptop. You definitely deserve some perks from Frsky

Please let me know when you are done with documentation so I can update link in my post, or send me the link were you plan to put it, and I will wait for it there.
Hey! Had some more stuff to do, but I could make the first thing that looks like a release, with real ZIP archive that you just have to unzip at the root of your SD card. I know the doc is not really finished, but it's on its way. One step at a time ;-)

https://github.com/betaflight/betafl...ripts/releases
Feb 14, 2017, 07:04 AM
FPV addict
Great 👍. Thanks
Mar 10, 2017, 08:38 AM
FPV addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by pafleraf

Blog is updated on 20.2.2017.
Apr 06, 2017, 11:44 PM
Not sure if the OP is still following this post, but if someone can chime in the info would be appreciated - 2 quick questions...

1 - Does the hardware on this FC support dshot (dma on all the motor ports?) I'm assuming it does but figured I'd rather ask a dumb question instead of finding out on my own later

2 - The antenna leads look like the replacements used for an x4r... are they tuned to 1/4 wavelength (33mm) or are they tuned to 1/5 wavelength like a stock xsr antenna?
Apr 07, 2017, 12:52 AM
Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcolepticLTD
Not sure if the OP is still following this post, but if someone can chime in the info would be appreciated - 2 quick questions...

1 - Does the hardware on this FC support dshot (dma on all the motor ports?) I'm assuming it does but figured I'd rather ask a dumb question instead of finding out on my own later
Read my article
Apr 07, 2017, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datos
So basically, it doesn't support dshot out of the box and you need to remap to make sure the motor outputs used are on DMA compatible ports... got it, thanks!

Quick Reply