Feb 20, 2017, 05:22 PM
Marc, You can say that again. These first two have been harder to make than the balsa wood, and tissue models I have made. It would be worth it to sacrifice one to see if they will glide from a high launch point after trimming and balancing. Here are the wing struts in place. they are 1/32" sheet. I had to widen the slots in the wings for it. I made two cardboard jigs to pry the lower, and middle wing apart a little, and so the distance between them would be the same. The bottom wing buckled slightly in one semi-span, but it's not serious. I had to make a new rudder due to ruining the stock rudder while fixing the tail. i tried the paper cockpit opening liner, but couldn't make it work, and so i just painted it.

Kevin
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2017, 12:59 PM
The completed Fokker DR 1.

Kevin
Feb 21, 2017, 01:38 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Very cool.
Feb 21, 2017, 04:06 PM
Close enough
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin matthews
The completed Fokker DR 1.

Kevin
Looks great Kevin.

Marc
Feb 21, 2017, 05:14 PM
Thanks, Marc! My next build is the Siai Marchetti S55 flying boat. I started on it today. I'm starting to get the hang of the unusual process.

Kevin
Feb 24, 2017, 04:17 PM
Close enough
Thread OP

Fokker Dr.I

The Fokker Dr.I Dreidecker is the fifth model I've completed from the book.

Marc
Feb 24, 2017, 05:26 PM
Nice job, Marc. I've given up for now building any more of these. I screwed up the flying boat beyond repair, and I've been thinking why am I doing this? I no longer build display models, so I guess you are on your own. I may pick it up later, and I would really like to build one with powered flight. Best wishes on the others.

Kevin
Feb 24, 2017, 10:11 PM
Close enough
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin matthews
... I may pick it up later, and I would really like to build one with powered flight. Best wishes on the others.

Kevin
I'm going to finish off the final three I have in my book. But I'm not at all confident that any of them would actually fly. They'll hang from the ceiling for a while though.

Marc
Oct 18, 2017, 09:07 AM
Hello Marc and Kevin!
I just found this site today and both of your "builds" look great! I have both books by Michael Johnson and Alan Austin but have not done anything with them. I have had them for decades as well, but you have given me inspiration to start one soon. I'll try and post photos of my progress. This was the only place where I found reference to someone that actually worked on and completed a model from these books. Thanks for the posts and info!!
Best regards,
Bob
Aug 25, 2019, 11:30 AM
Yeah me too, and it was nice to see something done with them; yes from decades ago. I was thinking about building, but then I was looking on line thinking, my book being in such excellent condition might be worth something. It aint worth much, so I just might build a couple. Maybe add a micro RC system and E power.
Aug 26, 2019, 09:17 AM
Close enough
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeavorAirman
... so I just might build a couple. Maybe add a micro RC system and E power.
You'd certainly have bragging rights if you do achieve controlled flight as you will be the first to do so!

Marc

Quick Reply