"Classic Paper Planes" to Build and Fly - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 24, 2017, 04:26 PM
Close enough
Gallery

"Classic Paper Planes" to Build and Fly

I've had this book of die-cut flying paper planes for a couple decades, but have been too intimidated to attempt a build until now. A persistent winter storm has forced my hand.

The authors state that not only can the planes be made to glide, but they can be fitted with a CO2 engine or an electric motor with rechargeable batteries. After completing the first build, all I can say is that the author's skill level is an order of magnitude above mine.

The book is very nicely done with some general build instructions in front, then a 2 or 3 page history of each plane, followed by a single page isometric assembly drawing, and finally the die-cut sheets in back. The book authors are Michael Johnson and Alan Austin.

I'm going to add a post to this thread for each of the models I complete and would love to hear from anyone else who has completed or flown these models. Double extra credit goes to anyone who has had a controlled powered flight. The book is out of print but available used for about $10 from all the usual places.

Marc
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2017, 04:29 PM
Close enough

Blackburn Monoplane

The first model I completed is the Blackburn Monoplane.

My paper model building skills were tested on this first build. But I did learn some techniques and hope to do better on the next model.

Marc
Last edited by AtomicFlyer; Jan 24, 2017 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Fixed title
Jan 24, 2017, 04:39 PM
Marc, Wow, that is so cool. I want to get this book, and try out these airplanes. Thanks for posting. There was talk awhile back about designing an all paper rubber powered model airplane. Looks like this book has solved the paper problem.

Kev
Jan 24, 2017, 08:53 PM
Crazy Canuck
WOW ! I found this book on Amazon (last one) and bought it now I can simply copy the plans and scale it up a bit and make it a micro 3chn model. Look forward to it arriving.
Will you put up a PDF file to the ones you are building so it can be shared with others it would be cool . Thanks
Paul
Jan 25, 2017, 04:18 AM
B for Bruce
I think the best way to fly them is from the ceiling over your work bench. Or in some other part of the man cave.

The Blackburn is begging for some thread rigging to finish it off.

And for all your worries I think it looks pretty darn good. The wheels was likely a real bear to do well but even the cone and flat look pretty decent.

Are the landing struts made from wood or folded over card stock?
Jan 25, 2017, 04:02 PM
Close enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin matthews
Marc, Wow, that is so cool. I want to get this book, and try out these airplanes. Thanks for posting. ...

Kev
Kev,
AbeBooks has quite a few copies both new and used for sale:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...bi=12013353972

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEFLYER
WOW ! I found this book on Amazon (last one) and bought it now I can simply copy the plans and scale it up a bit and make it a micro 3chn model. Look forward to it arriving. ...
Paul
Paul,
I'd love to see one fly. Feel welcome to post here when you build yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews

Are the landing struts made from wood or folded over card stock?
Bruce,
The instructions say to fold the supplied printed card around scrap balsa or sticks for the landing struts. I found no joy in that method so I just painted the balsa.

Marc
Jan 25, 2017, 04:27 PM
Marc, Thanks for the link.

Kev
Jan 28, 2017, 11:47 AM
Close enough

Fokker D.VIII

This is the second model from the book I've completed. It's the Fokker D.VIII

This one came out straighter and stronger than the first model so my construction technique seems to be improving.

I did find references in a paper modeling forum site that these models have been flown with a rubber motor. But I still haven't found any photos to prove it.

Marc
Jan 28, 2017, 06:33 PM
Crazy Canuck
Found one in excellent shape, $12 the money went in support of a library which was great for me to do as I am a firm believer in supporting them and keeping books for the future to read instead of using whats on the internet but having a real book to read. I looked at it and will copy the parts out and then to transpose them onto 1mm and 2mm depron foam. They mentioned that even the little Brown Jr. CO2 motor can be used. I have three of these little power houses around. But I figure that the UM Vapor Rx and even the motor would work well with this scale.
Will take my time to build one but at the moment I have two other projects I'm working and need to finish off first.
Feb 02, 2017, 12:53 PM
Close enough

SIAI-Marchetti S55 Flying Boat

The SIAI-Marchetti S55 flying boat is the third model I've completed from the book. Making this one to rise off the water in a controlled powered flight would be quite a challenge. :-)

Marc
Feb 03, 2017, 02:29 PM
-=BS=-
It's worth getting just for the Marchetti S55 Model.
What a pretty design!
Feb 03, 2017, 02:35 PM
Marc, Looking great. What is the average wing span for these models? I found a new book for $20. including shipping. It's on it's way here. This looks like almost too much fun, and the possibilities of enlarging and building with thin balsa are calling me.

Kev
Last edited by kevin matthews; Feb 03, 2017 at 02:47 PM.
Feb 03, 2017, 08:16 PM
Close enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin matthews
...What is the average wing span for these models?....

Kev
Kev,
The wingspans on the first three are 17", 16" and 22".

Marc
Feb 03, 2017, 10:39 PM
Much larger than I imagined.
Feb 09, 2017, 10:51 AM
Close enough

Avro 560

The Avro 560 is the fourth model I've completed from the book. It was powered by a V-twin engine using an inverted mount.

I also took a group photo of the models I've completed so far.

Marc