Tamiya Bigwig 2017

Nostalgia keeps rolling from the Tamiya assembly line! The Bigwig 2017 is a throwback to the 1986 4wd buggy with the first wing-style body! Let's take a closer look at the Bigwig.

Splash

The Legends Continue From Tamiya!

Re-releasing these older models was a wise decision from Tamiya; tapping a market of middle-aged hobbyists that started their rc careers by thumbing through the Tamiya catalogs makes perfect sense! The latest legend to be re-released is the Tamiya Bigwig. Originally offered in 1986, the Bigwig was built to highlight 10 years of model making by Tamiya. It featured the first "wing style" body, designed by Takuya Yura, a well-known car designer.

The updated Bigwig features full ball bearings, a rack and pinion steering setup, a 25T GT-Tuned brushed motor, and oil-filled plastic dampers. The Bigwig is selling for $219, and is shipping now from Tower Hobbies.

CLICK HERE to order the Tamiya Bigwig 2017.

Features:

• An updated version of the original 1986 classic!
  • ABS resin bathtub chassis with engine and exhaust parts.
  • Shaft-driven 4WD drivetrain for excellent off-road stability.
  • Dedicated 25T GT-tuned motor.
  • Light, durable polycarbonate body designed by Takuya Yura.
  • 4-wheel independent double wishbone suspension and CVA oil shocks let you tackle bumps and jumps with confidence.
  • Full ball bearings.
  • Rack-and-pinion steering gives excellent driving feel. Steering tie rods feature adjustable ends to alter toe-in.
  • Front and rear gear differentials aid smooth cornering.
  • Front and rear sealed gearboxes.
  • Resin bumper.
  • Semi-pneumatic oval block tires.
  • Aerodish one-piece wheels.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jan 24, 2017 at 09:08 AM..
Jan 24, 2017, 08:54 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Tamiya, you are KILLING me! I already have the 2013 Brat and the 2016 Blackfoot and I'm strongly considering a Hotshot. Always loved the Bigwig!!
Jan 24, 2017, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then
Tamiya, you are KILLING me! I already have the 2013 Brat and the 2016 Blackfoot and I'm strongly considering a Hotshot. Always loved the Bigwig!!
yea i know it! I was seriously going to get one and after looking and looking at it I just am not to fond of the body style to me the hot shots look much better this one to me is the start of the ugly downfall of tamiya buggies with those funky spaceship type bodies.
Jan 24, 2017, 10:33 AM
RCGroups Editor
It wont be long before rc car tracks offer a Tamiya re-release spec class!
Jan 24, 2017, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
Yea and if they also offered real dirt like in the 80's not this hard cement like surface off road tracks that are a joke now a days!
Jan 24, 2017, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptileman
Yea and if they also offered real dirt like in the 80's not this hard cement like surface off road tracks that are a joke now a days!
Real men drive on dirt ! a lot of UK tracks are carpet these days ,I guess off road means indoors these days .
Jan 24, 2017, 01:08 PM
i hope they make more re-releases of the hotshot in 10 years time, and bring out some metal upgrades, the hotshot was so unique and still is, the complexity is like none other.
Jan 24, 2017, 04:03 PM
I love it and I want one but apart from money I'm reaching saturation point when it comes to how many cars I currently have lol. I must have 30 at least now varying from toy grade to hobby grade.

I really want a Thunder Dragon re release, I find that car so cool looking in a ridiculous 80's way. The Falcon would be good too but would need a front bulkhead fix and CVAs.

Oooo and I'll have a Nissan king cab too
Jan 24, 2017, 07:36 PM
About time to re-release their line of models that hit big before.
Jan 25, 2017, 02:03 AM
I have to admit I'm on the other side of the Marmite debate with this one , it's plain bug ugly to me , I just don't see it at all , sorry .
Jan 25, 2017, 07:49 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiya
CVA oil shocks let you tackle bumps and jumps with confidence.
Never heard of "CVA oil shocks", that's got to be a typo... I wonder if they meant this kit comes with "CVD's and oil filled shocks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptileman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio
Real men drive on dirt ! a lot of UK tracks are carpet these days ,I guess off road means indoors these days .
I live in Texas, and about 2-3 years ago we had one of the wettest seasons in history... because of all the rain outs, it was something like 3-4 race clubs in the state shut down that year and never recovered. One particular club saw opportunity and adapted... they invested in a 50'x100' cover for an indoor 1/10 track to compliment their already largest 1/8 track in the world (at the time). They have proven many times that the covered track would prove lucrative to the program with turn out increasing from 30-40 entries all the way up to 90+ range during times of inclement weather as most other programs had no racing and folks would commute from all over the state. They eventually covered the 1/8 track with a more permanent structure making it the largest covered 1/8 track in the world. They have found a balance by leaving the 1/8 track open on the sides which permits nitro, and the cover also keeps maintenance to a minimum with the smooth/dusty dirt surface with varying traction conditions throughout the day.

With the 1/10 track, they went with a dirt glue that is sprayed on the track leaving traction very similar to asphalt... this would prove to be extremely popular and was a win:win from a track/car maintenance standpoint and performance. I truly appreciate having consistent traction and not having to clean mud off my car every race day, this reduces my maintenance time and allows me to run up to 4 classes per race day.

Sadly the cover for the 1/10 track was destroyed this past weekend by severe winds, but they have plans to extend the building from the 1/8 track which will increase the 1/10 track by 30% and they will migrate to a carpet/turf track... most folks couldn't be happier (myself included)

Before:

The smaller white building is the 25'x75' covered pits

After:

Jan 25, 2017, 09:08 AM
Yep no typo tamiya calls there shocks CVA shocks , Bummer what happened at your track that stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_delong
Never heard of "CVA oil shocks", that's got to be a typo... I wonder if they meant this kit comes with "CVD's and oil filled shocks"

I live in Texas, and about 2-3 years ago we had one of the wettest seasons in history... because of all the rain outs, it was something like 3-4 race clubs in the state shut down that year and never recovered. One particular club saw opportunity and adapted... they invested in a 50'x100' cover for an indoor 1/10 track to compliment their already largest 1/8 track in the world (at the time). They have proven many times that the covered track would prove lucrative to the program with turn out increasing from 30-40 entries all the way up to 90+ range during times of inclement weather as most other programs had no racing and folks would commute from all over the state. They eventually covered the 1/8 track with a more permanent structure making it the largest covered 1/8 track in the world. They have found a balance by leaving the 1/8 track open on the sides which permits nitro, and the cover also keeps maintenance to a minimum with the smooth/dusty dirt surface with varying traction conditions throughout the day.

With the 1/10 track, they went with a dirt glue that is sprayed on the track leaving traction very similar to asphalt... this would prove to be extremely popular and was a win:win from a track/car maintenance standpoint and performance. I truly appreciate having consistent traction and not having to clean mud off my car every race day, this reduces my maintenance time and allows me to run up to 4 classes per race day.

Sadly the cover for the 1/10 track was destroyed this past weekend by severe winds, but they have plans to extend the building from the 1/8 track which will increase the 1/10 track by 30% and they will migrate to a carpet/turf track... most folks couldn't be happier (myself included)

Before:

The smaller white building is the 25'x75' covered pits

After:

Jan 25, 2017, 02:50 PM
That's really crappy luck , I know my preferences but I would never want that kind of ruin to happen to anybody's club ,hope they get it sorted soon.
Jan 25, 2017, 03:28 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Wish there were races around here; I'd love to go race in an extremely informal setting and have perhaps really strict rules on motors/batteries so it would really just focus on the fun. I'm sorry that happened to you guys, looks like a sweet setup.
Jan 25, 2017, 07:07 PM
Too bad on damaged track, at least it will get bigger and better upon upgrade.