Mid South Soaring Championships - Page 13 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
View Poll Results: How would you like to see the Mid South Run????
Remain the same 7 16.28%
Eliminate RES and have a full day of ALES 17 39.53%
F3RES as a stand alone run the same time as any other fri contest 10 23.26%
Mix launch RES and ALES only 4 9.30%
Add another day and have a full day RES and a Full day ALES 15 34.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

May 30, 2017, 07:57 PM
Service Engine Soon

RES scores and no wind on Monday

We had 8 pilots and flew 5 rounds back to back with two group's. We started about 9 and where done by 11ish.
1 Jeff Carr 5,198.7 100.0% A
2 Tom Broeski 5,192.3 99.88% B
3 Tommy Lamnek 4,789.7 92.13% A
4 Kerry Cocherll 4,537.8 87.29% A
Top Team- Kerry Cocherll and Tom Broeski with 9730
Second place Team - Jeff Carr and Jim Carroll with 9444
Best flight of the day goes to Mike Williams with his brothers thirty year old GL A 10:00 min flight . 60 on the landing and winning the round with 1060 points.
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2017, 08:30 PM
Service Engine Soon
Well having my normal luck so day one, my ALES plane the right aileron servo fry's just before the contest starts . So I have time to replace it and do, with another brand. Forgot to make sure and check the direction for left and right. First flight was difficult to save the plane at least it was timed and I was able to steer with rudder and land safely. I then switched directions in the program and all looked good. Now you are not going to believe me on this one but when I got ready to fly in the next round I switched on and aileron control movement was backwards. So I am very confused and switched direction on both ailerons. Just when I do the left stops working. I decided to pull the plug missed the round but was able to fly my back up next round.
So Saturday goes well flying TD made all my times pulled off a pro flight a couple of times and got lucky once or twice. But my landings are a problem I need to look at a different way or style I have gotten worse in the last year. Sunday stuck my X3 in the trees I haven put one in the trees in a long time. End result we got it down with the pole with little damage and was able to fly last two rounds.
You know, I still enjoyed my visit to TTA . I manage to forget my troubles for a few days and was able to relax. Sometimes it's not about first place.
Last edited by Brady Baggs; May 30, 2017 at 08:37 PM.
May 30, 2017, 08:52 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Hey all. Family and I got back to Gainesville around 1:30AM Monday.

The Gardner family had a great time during their first visit to Triple Tree Aerodrome. I'm fairly certain my wife will be worn out for a couple of weeks after herding our two little ones around. The girls had a blast and making friends. I've already started planning for next year.

I had never been to TTA. Being able to take in all of Triple Tree without a huge crowd made me really able to appreciate it. Having seen all the videos and pictures of TTA I had high expectations of what it would be like to go but even those expectations were no match for how tremendous, expansive, and beautiful it is.

It was a real blast flying with some awesome pilots. I don't get the opportunity to get out to many competitions that aren't in the central FL area. Being able to see so many pilots that I only get to see once a year was great. Y'all are a great bunch of guys. Also, it's great to fly against some top notch competition! You guys really are some great competitors that made me really push hard. There was some serious pushing it to the limit out there. How many tree'd planes where there, 11? Even though there was some tough flying going on, all the pilots were always making sure that everyone was out flying and receiving any help that was needed. I think this was best shown with all the guys helping Charleston. He flew an awesome contest. Every round there was some expert help being provided by one of the top pilots. Didn't he beat his dad on Sunday?

Well, I can't say it enough, but it was a blast and I can't wait to do it again next year!
Latest blog entry: Finished My Sbach 342!
May 30, 2017, 09:39 PM
AMA 79169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr83
I think this was best shown with all the guys helping Charleston. He flew an awesome contest. Every round there was some expert help being provided by one of the top pilots. Didn't he beat his dad on Sunday?
...and to support his statement...

-=Doug
May 30, 2017, 09:59 PM
Professional sink locator
One of the Masters coaching one of the next Masters

And this is why Soaring will continue into the future.

Very nice!
May 30, 2017, 10:52 PM

Don't miss the 2018 Midsouth

I can't think of a more wholesome way to spend Memorial Day weekend. My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our time with friends, the scenes of Triple Tree, prepared meals, and of course two days of fun world class Soaring. Thank you all.

Tim
Latest blog entry: Multiplex Solius
May 31, 2017, 05:16 AM
Great time at the MidSouth. Yes, Charleston beat his Dad on Sunday. He out launched me and out flew me! (I knew it was coming but didn't think it would be this soon) I want to thank all the people who helped and timed for Charleston. I told him to get his timers and to listen. The kid learns fast.
See you all at the next contest,
Charles and Charleston
Latest blog entry: Tuff season
May 31, 2017, 11:29 AM
Jeff Carr
I cant wait for this event to start BUT cant wait for it to end. lol The thing that sticks in my mind is all the families this year. Wow what a turn out for the families.

I have a few thank you's to shout out

Russ Merkle. You are the man when it comes to help Your tops
My Wife and family that came to have fun and score the contest for me.
Brady Baggs. Winch master and line man. Your invaluable. Your club is lucky to have you.
Tony Guide. Saved me with the scoring program. (I never thought windows 10 would be an issue)
Jason Jones and the BSA. I think you need to come back again and again. No, I know you do......
Horizon Hobby for supporting us.

Everyone that came I sure hope you had a good time. I need to get more rounds in. Im trying to stream line things so this will happen. We might have to move down the line if we get more winches set. Something to ponder here.

ALES was well attended. I saw a few very good flights. The weather co operated and was very nice. Light wind. I dont believe other than me we had any damaged ALES planes. So it was a good day.

Saturday started with light wind turning into very windy conditions. But it was later in the day. A few land outs but only a few

Sunday was a total wind frenzy. Ballast was a must with multiple tree landings. I wont mention who but the writer here was in a tree close to the field not like the rest of you.

Monday was just great. No wind and blue sky. I cant figure out how to get this weather to come on Fri and stay. I guess praying harder will be next years thing.

So what did you NOT Like???
What would you like to see different?
Did you like a full day of ALES?

I want to grow the event so please tell your friends about it.

So once again thank you for coming out and playing with toy planes Now I cant wait until next year.

Jeff
May 31, 2017, 07:26 PM
Jody Miller
Garry, if you were referring to me as a master you maybe over stating a little. I'm OK but not sure if I will ever master this. That's one of the things that really draws me to soaring. Thanks for the compliment though!

Jeff, not sure I would change anything. ALES was good but would 5J pull more or run off more guys? We have time to decide. Next year will be even bigger for sure!

Thanks again Jeff and crew! We had a great time.

Jody
May 31, 2017, 09:49 PM
Sorry I missed all the fun, any feedback on the shirts would be appreciated:
Is the "dry fit " material preferred over the cotton blend?
Was the blue a nice color?
Any other color suggestion?
Would long sleeve be better?
Sorry pockets are not an option with this material!

Thanks
Raed
May 31, 2017, 10:26 PM
MMR
MMR
Martian
A lot of firsts for me this time at 3T:

First time in a tent - sold my trusted Westie in April
First time I managed to stay in the top group
Flew really really far out - and stayed out of the trees

Good times - great soaring - looking forward to next year!

Martin
Jun 01, 2017, 04:59 AM
Shirts are great. Love the dry fit shirts in the summer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raed5

Thanks
Raed
Latest blog entry: Tuff season
Jun 01, 2017, 08:31 AM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinav8n
I have a few thank you's to shout out
Wow, I can't believe I didn't thank Jeff for setting up this awesome event. Of course, Jeff's supporting cast deserves a huge, huge thanks! Running the scoring program and keeping us pilots inline takes a lot of work. Thank you Jeff's family for helping out! Also, those that helped with equipment, including those that brought equipment, thank you a ton! I can only recall a couple of broken lines but those were fixed so fast I don't think many people noticed. Also, it wouldn't have been nearly as nice of a contest without the scouts and their crew helping feed the ravenous masses!

Quote:
So what did you NOT Like???
I wish we could get in some more rounds each day. I know y'all worked your butts off so I'm not complaining about that. It is probably more on some pilots not being ready (me) for their round that slowed some stuff down. I really don't have a suggestion here, more just wishing and hoping someone else has a way we could fit more in (start earlier?).

Having to leave

Quote:
What would you like to see different?
I'm with Jody, a 5J event would be neat. I don't have a model that could fly in it but it would be interesting to see how many others would want to participate.

Quote:
Did you like a full day of ALES?
Yes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raed5

Thanks
Raed
Shirts were great! Color, fit, and material are all awesome. Raed, since you and I live in pretty much the same climate you know how nice it is to have a good breathable shirt for those hot summer flying days. This one will be used often!

If you could get shirts like the ones Jody, Dillon, and I wear, the long sleeve fishing shirts (with or without the hood) that would be even better! I certainly wouldn't mind paying a bit more for them either. I wish I would have jumped on that bandwagon earlier.
Latest blog entry: Finished My Sbach 342!