Jul 04, 2017, 02:56 PM
amcbleriot (4 min 24 sec)
it's really fun
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2017, 11:48 AM
Suspended Account
While technically this hovercraft uses a pool noodle as a "skirt" there's no official inflation for it, so I think it's technically skirtless.

Check out this insiders look at the craft, with some fpv video of it running up and down the street, sidewalks, grass, etc.

I even get a speed reading of my new gps device.

My Scratch Built Hovercraft Part 3 Up Close and FPV (10 min 31 sec)
Oct 03, 2017, 12:28 PM
scratchbuilder
Thread OP
Excellent idea to use a pool noodle as skirt. I will try that.
Oct 04, 2017, 11:37 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B.
Excellent idea to use a pool noodle as skirt. I will try that.
I know it took a while to come up with something with good abrasion resistance and I've got to say, that pool noodle looks like it's rubbed many a time against the ground, but it's just dark like it's picking up dirt. There are no places on there where it looks like there has been any abrasion through the outside layer and it has been up and down the street many times. Typically that run in the video would ruin a 5 mil plastic bag or a peva shower curtain. This noodle really is the cat's pajamas.

I hope you are as happy with it as Dan is.
Oct 04, 2017, 09:20 PM
How do you balance your hovercraft's after you build them
Oct 04, 2017, 10:02 PM
Suspended Account
Kind of like a plane really. essentially keep the inflator dead center. Your motor and control surfaces on the back will add weight so the battery needs to sit dead center between port and starboard, and then you have to move the battery forward from as close to the fan as possible until you can tell it's sitting level or slightly nose up.

Now that skirt bounces all over the place, hitting the ground, but that pool noodle is holding up like a set of expensive tires. And it seems like once you get the thing going in a straight line, you're in good shape.
Oct 05, 2017, 11:53 AM
scratchbuilder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericrobb
How do you balance your hovercraft's after you build them
I just watch how it moves. if it lifts at the back higher than at the front, move the battery a bit backwards. If it does a loop when going fast, move the battery forward.
Oct 05, 2017, 11:56 AM
Suspended Account
Nevermind the rule violations. I've been cited for excessive reporting.. there was a lot of vulgarity on another couple threads I came across so now all my posts will be hidden for 24 hours before displayed until January.. and I can't ask for mediation because I can't post in that thread either to request one.. sigh.. this place has its problems. Anyway,

Yeah.. when you say loop do you mean it flips over?

The wing in the back is meant to prevent that act and simply lift the back end up if the front raises.. but.. essentially your battery placement is really where it's at. The best you can do is get is close as you can and then try to lock it down somehow.
Oct 24, 2017, 01:00 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B.
Serge Romani made a plan for a very quick to build, great working hovercraft:
http://jivaro-models.org/aeroglisseu...oglisseur.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDHCRfrK_Bo
Woo that's a mover groover. Cool.
Oct 25, 2017, 09:05 PM
Do you use foam board to build these hovercrafts
Oct 31, 2017, 12:21 PM
scratchbuilder
Thread OP
I use Depron, but any similar stuff will work.
Nov 05, 2017, 04:11 PM

Hovering

Hi dude. Wow that machine turns really well. The only thing though is that I can not help but feel you need a little more ground clearance . Have you thought of enclosing the bottom of your craft so that you could create a piriphiral jet. This would give you moor cusion pressure hence increasing you ground clearance over rougher serfaces .
Nov 07, 2017, 05:26 AM
In the first post's video it appears the ground clearance is minimal, it creates a feeling that the craft is more like gliding & ocassionally touching the surface than actually stable hovering. Of course it wouldn't matter on a model when you have a powerful motor that can move the craft even if it's not hovering at all.
Nov 07, 2017, 12:52 PM

What if

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo5400
what you made the top plate curved and caped the back end off with a 45 Degree angled plate????
Feb 14, 2018, 12:25 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Use this as a mothership for battling tinywhoovs

Quick Reply