My Horizon ProBoat - 17" - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 23, 2017, 11:17 AM
Suspended Account
Video

My Horizon ProBoat - 17"

Let me say, this little bad boy is fun. I don't care that it only goes 20 mph, it's a great time when you can't get your airplanes up in the air due to the weather. And the self righting feature is just awesome. No more fishing for your boat. Couldn't beat the price at $100.00 even though it looks like these are just re-branded versions of the same boats you can find on amazon for around $50.00. Even the wife enjoys this little thing. Eventually I'm going to build a bracket for it so I can go rescue my airplanes when they go down in the middle of the lake.

Here's a couple videos:

Haas Lake Park - Horizon Hobby Proboat - Informal Maiden and review (10 min 10 sec)

Horizon Hobby Proboat - Haas Lake Park - Review part 2 (8 min 18 sec)
Last edited by Psychron; Sep 11, 2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Wrong length in the title.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2017, 05:08 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Nice. I have a couple of those amazon/eBay FT007s, and they ARE a lot of fun in a little package, aren't they?

If you make a rescue boat from one, take note that the range may be limited with these smaller guys. I'd do a range check first to see how far one could conduct a rescue.
Jan 24, 2017, 10:43 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Nice. I have a couple of those amazon/eBay FT007s, and they ARE a lot of fun in a little package, aren't they?

If you make a rescue boat from one, take note that the range may be limited with these smaller guys. I'd do a range check first to see how far one could conduct a rescue.
Oh the range on mine is quite far. I pushed it clear across the lake there to the other side and could barely see it, then I took it lengthwize on the lake and took it the full 1200 foot length of the water and had control the whole way. These little buggers are amazing..
Sep 11, 2017, 11:03 AM
Suspended Account

I was wrong on the size

Turns out this boat is a 17 inch. We had it on the lake this weekend and my son tossed it out there with the battery plugged in backwards. oh boy.. lol

Anyway, I used my hovercraft to push it back to shore. Was a great time

-Dan
https://www.youtube.com/user/psychron - Please Comment, Subscribe, Like and Share!
Sep 11, 2017, 07:10 PM
Just Plane Nutts
So it would be closer in size and performance to the FT009 then. Glad you are enjoying them!

Also glad nothing got damaged when the pack was plugged in reversed. Sometimes that results in french-fried ESC circuitry. It happened to me once in my early electric boating days using EC3 conenctors.
Sep 12, 2017, 06:49 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
So it would be closer in size and performance to the FT009 then. Glad you are enjoying them!

Also glad nothing got damaged when the pack was plugged in reversed. Sometimes that results in french-fried ESC circuitry. It happened to me once in my early electric boating days using EC3 conenctors.
LOL yes yes, we're enjoying it to be sure. I found damage on my hovercraft from where he repaid me by smashing headlong into the side of the styrofoam hull. And I'm honestly glad they're the same as the FT009 because it made buying 7 more batteries and 3 more chargers about half the cost of buying them direct from horizon at their inflated prices. I am disappointed though, that the connector ends for the batteries and electronics in the boat can't be changed out for an XT60 (my favorite) so I can use my existing charging equipment and a parallel charging board, but I've got other toys to play with while these charge up. The usb chargers are very slow. Takes about 4 hours to get a full charge on mine.

And I agree. There's nothing more sad than fried circuitry. I managed to fry out a brand new speed controller once because I didn't read the markings on the xt60 connector right and had the polarity reversed. DOH!

-Dan
https://www.youtube.com/user/psychron - Please Subscribe, like, share, and comment!
Last edited by Psychron; Sep 12, 2017 at 06:49 AM. Reason: too many sigs.
Sep 12, 2017, 07:54 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychron
... And I'm honestly glad they're the same as the FT009 because it made buying 7 more batteries and 3 more chargers about half the cost of buying them direct from horizon at their inflated prices. I am disappointed though, that the connector ends for the batteries and electronics in the boat can't be changed out for an XT60 (my favorite) so I can use my existing charging equipment and a parallel charging board, but I've got other toys to play with while these charge up. .

You should be able to charge the FT009 packs via their balance connector. A charger like my Venom unit can charge two FT009 packs at one time in less than an hour (depending on depletion level of course): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venom-2-4-Ce...oAAOSwh-1W3H80
Sep 12, 2017, 08:10 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
You should be able to charge the FT009 packs via their balance connector. A charger like my Venom unit can charge two FT009 packs at one time in less than an hour (depending on depletion level of course): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venom-2-4-Ce...oAAOSwh-1W3H80
I've got two of the venom 4 channel 100 watt tower style charges. I if theres already a link to the connector adapter I apologize for not looking. I assumed it's just like any other B6AC+ style charger.

I just looked it up. Does it matter if mine is the brushed motor? This is my battery.. I have no idea what connector that is. :

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamite-7-4V...T7A90PMS23VS0J

-Dan
https://www.youtube.com/user/psychron - Please Subscribe, like, share, and comment!
Last edited by Psychron; Sep 12, 2017 at 08:13 PM. Reason: found example.
Sep 15, 2017, 08:23 PM
Just Plane Nutts
That's different from the FT009 packs, which uses standard 2-power wires with separate balance leads.

Yours is like the UDI Venom boats which use a non-standard 4-wire power connector and no separate balance leads for charging.

If it IS the same as the UDI boats as I suspect, then the graphic below may show a mod that can be performed to use standard 2S packs. New battery power connectors of your choosing would have to be installed on the packs and on the ESC of the boat, as shown in the lower part of the diagram. I used Deans T-connectors for my example drawing.
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Sep 16, 2017 at 12:41 AM.
Sep 15, 2017, 10:33 PM
Electric RC Addict
My fiancee has a React 17 that I modified so she could use standard 2S packs. I just cut off the stock connector and soldered on a Deans connector.

In my opinion, the stock batteries are expensive and the quality kind of sucks.

I found 2x 2S 1500mAh 35C Flureon lipos for 20 bucks on ebay. That's 2 batteries for the price of 1 stock battery. They work great and even fit perfectly in the stock battery holder and the Deans connector definitely handles the current draw better. There were numerous times I almost burned my fingers trying to unplug the battery after a run.
Sep 15, 2017, 10:48 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
That's different from the FT009, which uses standard 2-power wire packs with separate balance leads.

Yours is like the UDI Venom boats which use a non-standard 4-wire power connector and no separate balance leads for charging.

If it IS the same as the UDI boats as I suspect, then the graphic below may show a mod that can be performed to use standard 2S packs. New battery power connectors of your choosing would have to be installed on the packs and on the ESC of the boat, as shown in the lower part of the diagram. I used Deans T-connectors for my example drawing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBJr
My fiancee has a React 17 that I modified so she could use standard 2S packs. I just cut off the stock connector and soldered on a Deans connector.

In my opinion, the stock batteries are expensive and the quality kind of sucks.

I found 2x 2S 1500mAh 35C Flureon lipos for 20 bucks on ebay. That's 2 batteries for the price of 1 stock battery. They work great and even fit perfectly in the stock battery holder and the Deans connector definitely handles the current draw better. There were numerous times I almost burned my fingers trying to unplug the battery after a run.
Thanks fellas, that's freaking sweet! It is the UDI style boat. They're exactly identical batteries and chargers. I bought UDI replacement packs from amazon instead of the crazy high horizon price.

I had often wondered how the wires are all supposed to go together. Looks like it'll be an interesting solder job. Got any pics of how you did it? The diagram is helpful but I'm not quite sure how to wire it up on a 2 conductor connector.

My only concern, since I'd love to throw some 2s lipos in there instead of the crap I have now (I have so many 2s's I don't know what to do with myself) is how that esc handles any kind of lvc or what voltage the transmitter starts chiming at when the charge is running out. I'd hate to destroy perfectly good lipos in three runs just because each cell is dropping below 3v.
Sep 16, 2017, 11:41 AM
Suspended Account
Yeah, I've got the same thing. I'd love to see some kind of visual aid beyond the schematic that helps me figure it out.

If yo don't mind of course.

Thanks!