Mar 17, 2017, 02:36 PM
Thread OP
Looks like a beast!

But not exactly sexy......
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2017, 10:41 AM
Thread OP
Here are some pre-maiden photos.

I should have spent more time on the paint but it is what it is.

I still have to do some minor work on the battery retaining system. The moments calculations were right on and the battery needs to be able to move from over the wing to far into the nose to cover the possible CG range.

I ended up going to a 3530 1700KV motor and 3s instead of 1400KV and 4s. The most likely spot for the 4s battery was right under the front of the canopy and just wouldn't fit.

Weather looks iffy today with rain and snow forecast for the next few days so if I can't go today then the next opportunity may be this weekend.

AUW came in at 42oz for a wing loading of 13.5 oz/ft^2.
Last edited by pmullen503; May 02, 2017 at 04:17 PM.
Apr 01, 2017, 05:47 PM
Jer. 29:11
Very exciting! Hope you have successful flight(s) (and video too)!
Apr 01, 2017, 09:52 PM
Godspeed!

tn
May 04, 2017, 04:47 PM
Thread OP
Got to maiden the pusher version of the 215 today. Actually a re-maiden. I was doing taxi tests on the original trying to find to correct height for the nose gear. Finally got what I was looking for and ready to try the first take off. As soon as the plane rotated the right wingtip caught the ground and spun the plane around, damaging the wing and denting the nose. After thinking about it for a while I decided to just build a new wing.

I also decided to remove the gear and launch off a catapult. I just replaced the nose gear leg with a hook. That took 3oz. off the AUW and the wing loading down to 12.5 oz/ft^2. The first flight was nose heavy with way too much aileron but I got it around and landed it. The next three flights were spent dialing in the rates. I ended up with half the elevator and 1/4 the original aileron throw! The winds were really variable from almost nothing to 15 mph and the direction would change about 90 degrees. I reset the catapult direction for almost every flight. It flies pretty good, from very slowly to really quite fast on full throttle. Most of the time I was at half throttle or less.

Still nose heavy and I'll have to rework the battery mount to move the battery farther back but it's good enough to paint the new wing and do some cosmetic repairs on the dented nose.

Sorry, no pictures or video.
May 05, 2017, 08:39 AM
Jer. 29:11
Congratulations!
Jun 28, 2017, 02:44 PM
Was curious if the Model has been successful ?
Certainly looks the part.
In truth I was a bit taken aback by the 42 oz weight statement though.
Seemed (to me as extraordinary for a 1:12 model assembled primarily of Depron or facsimile.
Heavy EDF and large capacity battery reasons ?
Although I've experienced brownpaper/glue covering adding surprising and unexpected weight... still that's not going to account for a Pound.
Jun 28, 2017, 04:34 PM
Thread OP
The model flies well. A little wiggle in the yaw axis in turbulent air but it's a good windy weather plane. The weight is down to 32 oz. I tore out the duct work and the heavy ply gear mounts to allow me move the battery back under the wing for CG reasons. At a little over 10 oz/ft^2 at this size(52" WS), it's in trainer territory as far as wing loading. It glides forever.

I did build this one heavy since it was the prototype for an EDF which will be heavier.
Jun 28, 2017, 09:22 PM
Thank you for that update :-)
Been toying with the notion of building one based on the Steve Bage plan.
Which seems well thought out... 17.75" span though... so a bit of resizing seems necessary.
Unless I fit a pusher prop.. which is the path of least resistance/best performance TBH..
Still trying to decide on exactly what size though.
Have a spare Dr Thrust 40mm fan which has Exemplary power. Better than most 55mm units imo.
But being inrunner based it ain't overly light... ~60 gms 24 a vs ~16 gms 8 a for a pusher motor of similar Go!
Thinking of 1:24 th scale which is ~24" or possibly enlarging a bit more to 26" or 28" span (100 to 110 squares) , where a 6 to 8 ounce bare airframe seems as a v realistic goal using stick and film.. as per plans.
Last edited by Bare; Jun 28, 2017 at 09:27 PM.
Jun 29, 2017, 09:01 AM
Thread OP
I think that would work fine off a catapult. The plane doesn't seem to need much power once airborne. I'd like a little better T/W ratio for a hand launch but that might work too.

My test program is pretty much done. For the pusher, I plan to try a side arm launch so I can skip setting up the catapult. Otherwise, all that's left is to start adding weight to see how heavy I can get before it starts to fly poorly. I plan to have retracts on the EDF version which will add several ounces. The fall back is to just do another catapult launched belly lander.
Jun 29, 2017, 01:33 PM
Yess ..I'm thinking it could work. thanks.
Never considered wheels, as my flying areas won't support anything less than stroller sized wheels.
Good wow factor though .. in one's workshop.
Simple Mini start works well for me .. little setup effort involved .. stake 'n stretch.
Jun 29, 2017, 02:18 PM
Trapped in California
Nice one pmullen503 !
Jun 29, 2017, 02:28 PM
Love the 'Luft 46' planes !

This is one of my favorites ... nice job !
Jun 29, 2017, 06:16 PM
Seen this one from 2009 ?
http://www.virtualaerodrome.com/imag...570&offset=220
Built to 17 3/4" direct from the Bage plan/Shorty's kitting.... 25 gms before covering/paint
Last edited by Bare; May 20, 2018 at 09:59 PM.
Jun 29, 2017, 07:08 PM
She's a beauty !

Quick Reply