Discussion

Elio 3-Wheeler Losing its Footing

And, I rather liked the concept.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/eli...-cash-and.html
Jan 21, 2017, 11:29 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Thread OP
MSRP of $7,300...

Introducing Elio Motors E1c (1 min 46 sec)
Jan 21, 2017, 11:59 PM
Really?
Sad, but never say never. Apparently Fisker is coming back.
Jan 22, 2017, 01:18 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I think I would consider it after a few good reviews.
Jan 22, 2017, 01:37 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
So did I.
But it was totally obvious to anyone with two brain cells to rub together that it would never happen.

And it's obvious in exactly the same way that the Faraday electric 'supercar' won't happen either.

"First, look at the financing. Both initially and several times later as it goes along". Why don't people understand this???

PS:"Elio Motors blames the skyrocketing deficit on an increase in accounts payable and interest payable as well as a decrease in assets held for sale and an increase in the fair value of derivative liability."
Proving that they are either clueless or it's a scam. Don't they realise that eventually you have to pay the bills and also that interest usually has to be paid on borrowed money???
Last edited by Robert Harris; Jan 22, 2017 at 01:44 AM.
Jan 22, 2017, 02:43 AM
<<<<I|I>>>>
I like the concept too, but from a design perspective, I find it not so inspiring.

I think Elio could have garnered quite a bit more public interest if they had maybe pinched some styling cues from the likes of a T-Rex.

Jan 22, 2017, 03:00 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
I like the concept too, but from a design perspective, I find it not so inspiring.

I think Elio could have garnered quite a bit more public interest if they had maybe pinched some styling cues from the likes of a T-Rex.

No, it's too 'racy'. Limits the market.

As for the Elio I find one fault and there is no way around it that I can think of.

As a keen motorcyclist I would tend to forget the stuck out wheels. Simply because I am sat in the middle. In a regular car you are sat to one side and are always aware of that so you don't forget the 'sidewalk side' some way away from you.

Anyway, it does not lack public interest. It lacks finance because they are clueless. The North Las Vegas 'authorities' already kicked them out for being clueless and not paying their bills. So they tried Kalifornia instead. The same thing has happened there.

I might buy one of it came from someone with a clue. That would mean Ford, VW, or maybe BMW. Not some group of dreamers.

I had one of these in the 1960s. The Messersmitt 'Tiger'. It had four wheels and was horrendously expensive, more than the British MGB. But it would do 100 mph plus, which was a lot at the time. It seated two but we got four in it once

Last edited by Robert Harris; Jan 22, 2017 at 03:10 AM.
Jan 22, 2017, 09:34 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I see something with a semi-open cockpit would be a major drawback on sales like the T-Rex.

The Elio appears to have most of the comforts of a regular small car. Possibly even AC and heating. If so, and the such amenities didn't bump the final cost more than $10K, and it functioned well, I would suspect sales could encroach on other micro-cars like the Smart Car or the FIAT.
Jan 23, 2017, 07:38 AM
UN Earth peoples true enemy
the problem is $7200 is to high a price to ask for 3 wheel gizmo when it is possible to buy a normal small 4 wheel car for figures starting for less than $9000.

Also some of the newwer small 4 wheeled cars have fuel figures that match this tree whee car .

If they can mass produce this tree wheeed cat at sales prices in the $3000 region then they would probaly sell them OK

However the real world time lag from prototyping to mass production numbers that allow cheap closer to $3000 sales prices for each unit means that often interest repayments will wipe out the company if it is a stand alone manufacture.

if a established multi car unit manufacturer like Ford starts a 3 wheeler assembly line they can probably ride out the interest rate curve issues .However the companies like Ford can look the merits and risks of a small 4 wheel car or a 3 wheel version

The reality is that in car manufacturing a average car when your producing millions of units cost in raw materials like iron ore oi for plastic etc some $10 in raw materials . The refined products like sheet iron or molded plastic etc means each car unit cost about $100 in refined materials .The average car cost after it reached the end of the assembly ine about $1500 to produce with not much difference between big cars or small cars as its the amount of components that makes the price vary the most . The problem is a three wheeler car will often not have sufficient price saving over the $1500 to make it extra cheaper like $3000 a unit to sell .The result is the buyer when faced with a small 4 wheeler costing marginally more than the 3 wheeler will opt for the the four wheel version.
Thats why big auto like Ford and similar wont do any 3 wheeler any time soon.

If some 3 wheeler does crack the problem and make it to the market and its goes well then it is more certain one of the larger outfits like Ford would look to buy it up and add it to their lines
However the big car makers would probably try to buy a three wheel outfit cheap so they might start a price war with low priced 4 wheeler car to force the 3 wheel maker to sell up for cheap .

Investing in three wheel cars manufactures I cant say I would try to buy those shares .

Now if some body would make a real small version of the old style 1960s version of the old FIAT 500 with smal diesel engine of 400cc with speed limit of 40mph or 60KPH that did 120MPG that could sell real well

Europe in many countries allows any 4 wheel car that has max speed of 40MPH to be classed as agricultural and less insurance and no licence to drive needed

Ralf
Jan 23, 2017, 07:49 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl View Post
I see something with a semi-open cockpit would be a major drawback on sales like the T-Rex.

The Elio appears to have most of the comforts of a regular small car. Possibly even AC and heating. If so, and the such amenities didn't bump the final cost more than $10K, and it functioned well, I would suspect sales could encroach on other micro-cars like the Smart Car or the FIAT.
This was much better. Made in Switzerland and could do about 150 mph. Quite successful, even at its $40,000 price. The 'UC' legs went in and out automatically and near instantly. It used a 1300 cc BMW 4 cylinder motorcycle engine, transmission, and wheels.

Jan 23, 2017, 08:00 AM
<<<<I|I>>>>
Mark, that's kinda akin to an encapsulated Glod Wing with the LegUp LandingGear that auto deploys at slow speeds.

Jan 23, 2017, 08:18 AM
Suspended Account
Ralf,

You are absolutely right. But you let out the two most important issues.

The major car manufacturers are not interested in making cars or providing transportation. They are interested in making money and there isn't much money in these.

And if they made them they would be competing with their own, already quite small, more expensive, and thus more profitable vehicles.
Jan 23, 2017, 08:22 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
Mark, that's kinda akin to an encapsulated Glod Wing with the LegUp LandingGear that auto deploys at slow speeds.

Prettier though. The Goldwing is a pig. I'd much rather have the Harley in the background of your picture.

That Swiss one was quite successful for a few years but the market is small. Wealthy adventurous nutcases are rare
Jan 23, 2017, 08:26 AM
<<<<I|I>>>>
No, the Harley is the pig. Or, technically, the hog

The Wings have respectable acceleration and are actually rather nimble and sporty when the road bends.
Jan 23, 2017, 08:34 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris View Post
This was much better. Made in Switzerland and could do about 150 mph. Quite successful, even at its $40,000 price. The 'UC' legs went in and out automatically and near instantly. It used a 1300 cc BMW 4 cylinder motorcycle engine, transmission, and wheels.

Yea, I've been watching that design for years hoping it would arrive here in the US at a reasonable price point, (<20K).

Quick Reply