Oct 01, 2004, 02:22 PM
Thread OP

Destiny build with ballast tubes

I got around to finishing my Destiny and did manage to incorporate some ballast tubes.

First here is the finished plane. You might notice it has an unusual paint scheme for a Destiny. I repainted it....I had to it was flaming rassberry. It was supposed to be purple but the shade was much closer to neon pink than it was purple. Plus that overspray destiny name on the top just looked awful to me. So Krylon to the rescue! The finished wieght is 29 oz without any ballast.

TFLG
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2004, 02:29 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
WOW that looks AMAZING!.... killer job on the paint... is that how you painted you MB too? cause that looks great too...

im anxious to see what you do/say about the v-tail angle... see if you need to shim it like a few others have said...

JOe
Oct 01, 2004, 02:29 PM
rational exuberance
Nice paint job, more puns on planes I say!

Is that just regular glossy krylon? And do you use any clearcoat over it?

Thanks,
Duncan
Oct 01, 2004, 02:30 PM
Thread OP
I put Futaba 3102 servos in the wing and fuse. These serovs are fantastic. The metal gear train is very tight with no slop at all. The sing servos run to a hoopes style connector I mounted in the Center of the wing.

You can see the hoopes connector sticking up from the wing saddle. The pins engage into the female plug mounted in the wing. You can see the carbon balast tubes being installed. I installed 4 of them right at the CG. The lead slugs will have a little piece of foam on each end and will be held in place by the wing as it's bolted on. I should be able to get about 8~10 ounces in the 4 tubes I installed. I cannot use the supplied pushrods with this setup but I would not have used them any way.

TFLG
Oct 01, 2004, 02:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheHill
WOW that looks AMAZING!.... killer job on the paint... is that how you painted you MB too? cause that looks great too...

im anxious to see what you do/say about the v-tail angle... see if you need to shim it like a few others have said...

JOe

Funny you should ask that... I checked it this morning and it measures at 1.5 degrees off. It looks to me that I will have a big shim at the leading edge of the stab. I will fly it stock first but I am 99% sure I will be fixing it before the second flight.

TFLG
Oct 01, 2004, 02:37 PM
Thread OP
For the Vtail I had to make my own linkages. I was shorted one of the ball joint pieces so I just made my own. I bend up some wire and threaded a ball joint onto the end. I used a flexible pushrod so it would go around the ballast tubes. I usually hate these because they change trim slighlty as the temp of the tube changes. Minor irritation though. You can see how I split the end to work both elevator halves from the same tube.

The paint is just regular krylon. It's not as smooth nor as shiny as the stock finish but you could polish it out if you wanted.

TFLG
Oct 01, 2004, 03:15 PM
Vitruvian JART
Sweet looking little plane. Were the wipers preinstalled? And did those 3102s fit fine or do they hang out at all?

Makes me think about finally putting gear in my Nemesis. Kinda fun to just throw some gear into a plane rather than build the whole darn thing.
Oct 01, 2004, 04:03 PM
Thread OP
The wipers are installed and yes the 3102s fit fine. The 3102s are the same size as HS85s but he gear train is much tighter and they have a little more torque. The case seems to be made of a harder plastic so I'm hoping they will not suffer the fate of my 85MGs on a hard hit. The case on the 85s seems to bust causing the gears not to mesh if they take a hard hit.

TFLG
Oct 01, 2004, 05:26 PM
silent flight
TFLG, nice job you've done on the install. Let us know what she goes like ballasted, I have the Micro Floh XL (Destiny by another name) which is quick unballasted but I'm sure it's capable of more.

Mike_Y
Oct 01, 2004, 05:54 PM
Bro
Bro

Destiny

Brian:
I am impressed!

Great ballast system too!

Bob
Latest blog entry: 2015
Oct 01, 2004, 09:07 PM
I know nothing about these f3f type planes. I take it even though they are v tails they are usualy flown as flaperon / elevator only ships?
Oct 01, 2004, 09:24 PM
Spoooooon!
That is the nicest looking destiny I ever saw! Brilliant idea on the ballast.
Oct 01, 2004, 10:53 PM
Retired Slope Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsox
I know nothing about these f3f type planes. I take it even though they are v tails they are usualy flown as flaperon / elevator only ships?
This is approximently a 60" sized (1.5 meter) plane, not really a F3F plane. F3F planes tend to be much larger (over 100"), and tend carry a LOT of ballast.

Like most gliders of this class, the Destiny is well suited for simply having a blast, and for 60" crunchy Man on Man racing. Here's a bit of info on MoM: http://www.sloperacing.com/info/racing_101.htm

You might also enjoy spending some time looking at the photo albums on:
- www.gliderking.com
- www.knewt.com

Cheers,

Nathan Woods
Oct 07, 2004, 11:04 PM
rational exuberance
Hey TFLG, do you have a flight report? Or is this a hangar queen?

-Duncan
Oct 07, 2004, 11:52 PM
Don't fly Flat !
Yea , ditto on the flight report, I love mine (got a purple one also) . really anxious to find out how TFLG's likes the extra weight on landing , I'm still teaching mine how to fly but no problems here.

Earl

Quick Reply