Las Vegas DLG Happenings - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 20, 2017, 07:14 PM
Zippy
Discussion

Las Vegas DLG Happenings

[/B][/B]
Good Day to all, this is a new thread that will be devoted to Las Vegas DLG happenings.
My hope is this will be a way to communicate, get bad advice, air grievances etc...

So any local pilots that would like to weigh in or get together with the Vegas Wrecking Crew for an informal monthly contest I have dubbed the "Monthly Zip," please consider this your communication board and invite.

There's a small group of us that regularly toss Saturday and Sunday mornings at Red Ridge Park (Sunset & 215) ,

I will let you all know how our first Monthly Zip goes this weekend and from that point on I will give notices / updates as to dates, times and location.
It will be a very informal three or four round contest with a fly off.
Would love to grow this thing as a way to sharpen skills , have fun and of course a months worth of bragging rights to the victor

Open to ideas and other flying locations

Always remember, "If a woodchuck could chuck carbon, it would."

Jerry "Zippy" Parks
Last edited by Parks1968; Aug 04, 2017 at 11:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2017, 09:57 PM
Sounds like fun and a good learning experience.
Hopefully we will get a small crowd to fly with.

Bill in Vegas
Jan 21, 2017, 12:59 AM
Since I know a "guy" at the sports book, should I get him to start a line on these?
I have directions to the sod farm in Sandy Valley and I'm going to try to get there on Monday. Although for me it's at least an hour drive.
Jan 21, 2017, 04:54 PM
Zippy

1st Informal and Unofficial Monthly Zip

Thanks to those who were in attendance, or to be more accurate the two guys I normally fly with.
But nonetheless, we met with great anticipation at 9:00 am in sunny southern Las Vegas only to march onto the sod and be greeted with a 20mph wind.
Now after much discussion , weather station searching on smart phones etc... I pulled out the anemometer and our 20 mph wind was actually 12.5, but to be fare it did feel a lot stronger than that

So it was off to Starbucks for more caffeine and discussion. (thx for buying Jim)

One last drive past the park and we decided to give it a go. We were able to get one task in and then a fly off for the top two.
Competitor names on the unofficial results will be withheld this month to protect the innocent (probably guilty) but as usual, without regard for my own score I flew the round pointing out sink to enhance the flying experience for the other two

Hope to gain a couple more pilots for next months Zip. Will post date/ time/ location soon.

Toss Em Well
Zippy
Jan 21, 2017, 06:32 PM
That pretty much sums it all up
Jan 21, 2017, 06:48 PM
Kyle Clayton
I will definitely contact you guys the next time I'm in town. I lv LV
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Jan 21, 2017, 07:34 PM
Zippy
Yes, Absolutely!! Good to hear from you Kyle
Jan 21, 2017, 09:52 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks1968
Thanks to those who were in attendance, or to be more accurate the two guys I normally fly with.
But nonetheless, we met with great anticipation at 9:00 am in sunny southern Las Vegas only to march onto the sod and be greeted with a 20mph wind.
Now after much discussion , weather station searching on smart phones etc... I pulled out the anemometer and our 20 mph wind was actually 12.5, but to be fare it did feel a lot stronger than that

So it was off to Starbucks for more caffeine and discussion. (thx for buying Jim)

One last drive past the park and we decided to give it a go. We were able to get one task in and then a fly off for the top two.
Competitor names on the unofficial results will be withheld this month to protect the innocent (probably guilty) but as usual, without regard for my own score I flew the round pointing out sink to enhance the flying experience for the other two

Hope to gain a couple more pilots for next months Zip. Will post date/ time/ location soon.

Toss Em Well
Zippy

Thanks for toning down that font! The first post was hurting my old eyes!

BP
Jan 21, 2017, 10:23 PM
Any time we fly with Jerry it's easy to find the lift! He goes right....we go left
Jan 22, 2017, 01:57 AM
Zippy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fv38wheels
Any time we fly with Jerry it's easy to find the lift! He goes right....we go left
Maybe if I add your "reverse rudder mix" I could keep up
What?? that's right I went there
Jan 22, 2017, 04:20 PM
Zippy

Rescheduled January Monthly Zip

It appears weather wreaked havoc on a lot of west coast events this weekend, our First Monthly Zip in Las Vegas was also not totally spared.

Proposed reschedule;
Sunday 1/29 at Red Ridge Park (215 & Sunset)
9:00 am meet up, consume some caffeine, warm up our sleds and get underway by 10am.

We will stick with the prearranged task format and flyoff we had setup for this weekend.

Any comments, concerns , additions or subtractions can always be quickly deleted from my inbox, so by all means weigh in

Zippy
Jan 22, 2017, 04:58 PM
I have comments,concerns, questions,
Just about life in general
Jan 22, 2017, 11:09 PM
Zippy
It rains for 1 day straight and I've got people asking for life advice and putting a hat on my cat was my days accomplishment

Cheer up Bill, its goanna be sunny by Tuesday
Jan 23, 2017, 12:32 PM
Zippy

Stream NXT

In talking with Bill this weekend regarding AUW , lights / superlight and standard versions of sleds.
Thought this was interesting, there's some results from an Aussie F3K team competition comparing Stream NXT superlight at 185 grams AUW and a standard in the 220s.
Superlight was launching remarkably close to the standard and in calm dead air it literally could park in the sky.
Now obviously it was stated as soon as breezes picked up all were flying there standard weight sleds.
Maybe a superlight in the quiver not a bad idea??

Zippy
Jan 24, 2017, 03:34 AM
Zippy
Hey Guys,
Tim Traver just posted 2017 schedule for the Torrey Pines Gulls DLG Contest / Clinic series
They are all one day contests , open and sportsman.

Check out the contest thread