Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by davidmc36, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 20, 2017, 03:51 PM
No bounce, No play.
Build Log

DX18 install of RC Technik Tip Switch Sticks

This blog entry will detail the install of Tip Switch Stick from RC Technik into a DX18 Stealth.

https://rctechnik.de/stick-switch-Spektrum/10001.html

First entry is of the spare gimbals I acquired. Local member freechip was good enough to hook me up with the donor items. Also in the picture are the sticks that came in the mail today.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2017, 04:01 PM
No bounce, No play.

Pulling the stems

Getting the stock stems out is a breeze. First there is a small ridge around the stem base. Put a washer on that is big enough to protect it. Thicker than the ridge height, hole bigger than diameter, just a tiny bit.
Jan 20, 2017, 04:04 PM
No bounce, No play.

Take up the space

Stack some more washers with the last one the hole a bit smaller, just big enough to clear the threads. Remove the set screw from the stick end and thread it on the stem, upside-down.
Jan 20, 2017, 04:09 PM
No bounce, No play.

Pulls off with finger pressure

All I had to do was turn the stick end with my fingers. There is a bit of pressure for about 1/6 of a turn and then it comes out with just a tug.
Jan 20, 2017, 04:13 PM
No bounce, No play.

Wire Path

On the bottom side you can just see the edge of the hole. Gimbal will have to be disassembled to find proper routing for the wires.

It will be the best way to press in the new stems anyway.
Jan 20, 2017, 04:16 PM
No bounce, No play.

Small difference

The new stem is just slightly larger than the stock. The instructions mention some drill bit sizes but I will also get the dial calipers into the game to confirm what to drill them at. Should only be a few thousandths.
Jan 20, 2017, 11:50 PM
No bounce, No play.

Remove glue from wire

Remove the glue holding the wire in place. It's a bit stretchy so grip it with small needle nose and pluck off until wire is free.
Jan 20, 2017, 11:54 PM
No bounce, No play.

Remove gimbal

Remove four screws holding inner gimbal bearing caps.
Jan 20, 2017, 11:57 PM
No bounce, No play.

Wire Path revealed

With the center of the gimbal removed you can see there is a nice opening for the wires to pass through. Gave it a quick test run.
Jan 21, 2017, 09:35 AM
No bounce, No play.

Remove Stem

Remove the stem from the new stick.

Get the gimbal piece set up in the drill press. All drilling will be turning by hand. Just using the press to square up the entry. I actually took the belt off so the spindle can be turned easily by hand without turning drill press motor.
Last edited by davidmc36; Jan 21, 2017 at 09:50 AM.
Jan 21, 2017, 09:41 AM
No bounce, No play.

Finish Drilling

If you see the drill peek out the hole you know it is deep enough.
Last edited by davidmc36; Jan 21, 2017 at 09:51 AM.
Jan 21, 2017, 09:49 AM
No bounce, No play.

Final Size/Press In

You can see there was not a lot of meat removed by the size of the raised ring, before and after.

Once you have the hole to the right size, I ended up with #27 drill as final size, set up to press the stem in.

An arbor press would come in handy but if you don't have one a vise works fine. It's a bit tricky getting started straight but with the right size hole you can get it just started by hand so it does not fall on the floor then push it in with the vise.
Jan 21, 2017, 09:59 AM
No bounce, No play.

Route and Assemble

Since the stick will not fit through the opening in the gimbal you have to start putting the wires through, then re-assemble the bearing caps.

The instructions show the option of routing the wires on both sides of the pivot point. Depends on what you want I guess. If you choose to split them up be very careful not to cross them over as they go through the stem and out the hole. I went with all on one side and will need to get all the routing safe when installing gimbal into radio.

New Gimbal in the Spotlight ready to be installed.

Those details will come over the next little while.
Last edited by davidmc36; Jan 21, 2017 at 10:05 AM.
Jan 21, 2017, 10:19 AM
What switches are these going to replace on the tx body??

Andy
Jan 21, 2017, 10:47 AM
Doesn't these cables interfere with the smoothness of gimbal movements?

Carlos

Quick Reply