View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with your Taranis Q X7?
Yes, 100% 18 54.55%
Want to have some mods 13 39.39%
Not satisfied 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Jan 20, 2017, 06:04 PM
One thing I cannot find in the openTX menus is SWR - has anyone tried?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2017, 06:08 PM
Alex
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliiii
No, there is no SWR function. It never had any signs of it.
Jan 20, 2017, 06:19 PM
Quote:
SWR is not a supported function on the Q X7.

Mike
Jan 20, 2017, 06:22 PM
ALLWHY
Been following or should I say stalking the Horus and now this group for some time and wanted to pose a question. I originally started with a FrSky 2.4G hack for a JR radio, which served it purpose until I moved to one of the original Taranis X9D's which continues to serve me well after a number of upgrades, OpenTX and HW. I personally don't want or need multiple radio's, however I see the need to upgrade my Taranis; M9 gimbals, new sliders and to go OpenTx 2.2. When I add this up I get pretty close to a tipping point of a new radio, and then the dilemma. I have been on the verge a couple of times of pressing the buy button for Horus and then I think it may be an overkill for my use. I then see the Q X7 and this is almost there, with the addition of the M7 gimbals and the new modern design, but I need additional sliders. So I then fall back to a new X9D+ with the M9 gimbals and I then go, maybe I just stick with what I have for the moment.

This finally leads me to my question, do FrSky have plans to repackage/upgrade the X9D+ . My ideal would be the new QX7 design, slightly larger and able to accommodate the additional switches and sliders as well as the hall effect gimbals. This would be a refresh and would sit very nicely between the X7 and Horus, in a new modern design and with enhancements many of us are already adding to our existing X9D's. The QX7 seems to have been a very stealthy development, perhaps a QX9 is on the horizon?
Jan 20, 2017, 06:25 PM
That would explain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datos
No, there is no SWR function. It never had any signs of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
SWR is not a supported function on the Q X7.

Mike
Jan 20, 2017, 06:29 PM
Alex
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyoung
This finally leads me to my question, do FrSky have plans to repackage/upgrade the X9D+ . My ideal would be the new QX7 design, slightly larger and able to accommodate the additional switches and sliders as well as the hall effect gimbals. This would be a refresh and would sit very nicely between the X7 and Horus, in a new modern design and with enhancements many of us are already adding to our existing X9D's. The QX7 seems to have been a very stealthy development, perhaps a QX9 is on the horizon?
I don't think that someone may answer your question for sure right now. I, personally, haven't heard from FrSKY authorities anything about upgrading X9DP or Q X7 to newer versions. But even if they'd want to share such infromation with dealers and testers - it would be a very early stage and under NDA for some certain period of time.

Your situation is interesting.... Don't even know what to recommend...

My personal opinion - I would trade X9D for X9DP + M9 gimbals instead and such combination would serve me many years....
Last edited by Datos; Jan 20, 2017 at 06:51 PM.
Jan 20, 2017, 06:33 PM
Alex
Thread OP
Quote:
That would explain it.
too many respondents
Jan 20, 2017, 06:43 PM
Quote:

My guess is that any one that knows is not going to say.

Personally I think it is quite likely that once the M9 gimbal has been out in the wild for a bit and is field proven, that the X9D+ will start shipping with them as standard to provide a bit more value distance between it and the Q-X7. A full redo of the X9D+ Taranis maybe a year or more away to give some time to see what the Q-X7 and Horus do in the market and figure out the gap a replacement for Taranis 9XD+ would fill. Of course I could be surprised...
Jan 20, 2017, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Like the X9E?
Jan 20, 2017, 07:12 PM
I put a 6 cell 2400ma LSD nimh pack together today from some HK cells I had.
There's room for it as others have shown, not a tight fit.
I chose to not add a charge Jack until I know more about the smart on off power circuit.
For now I used a 3 cell balance connector that fit the Qx7 and decided on 2 pin polarized JST connectors for the pack and adapter. Easy enough to remove to fast charge for now.
Solves my battery issue so I can focus on programming and flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jan 20, 2017, 07:23 PM
ITTD you're Clear for Takeoff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datos
Even if you consider Futaba - this is your choice. I've tried to express my feelings about Futaba in overall. Concerning weight and shape - seems like 9C is more like X9DP and Q X7 weights less and feels thinner. But the total weight would greatly depend of the battery you'd choose. Moreover, if you'd go with M7 Hall sensor gimbals later - radio would become another ~20g heavier. I, personally, got used to X9DP which weights more than Q X7 and I wanted to make it heavier with the battery choice. In either case you would have to get used to Q X7 at first... 9C looks very conservative and classical (as well as X9DP does) and Q X7 modern handling and grip is kind of new in positive way....
Years ago I was suffering with my DX7 then JR9503, dropping planes in ocean, was about to buy the Taranis X9D in Oct 2013- friend in Japan owns a high end RC shop, Kenmanyuna, he flies only Futaba, he said "Futaba is industrial company, all others are toy companies" ! Well was tempted to go Futaba but the allure of FrSky Taranis was just too great! Speaking of Futaba.... I'll take my team of Taranis' and Horus and soon in hands Q X7 10 days out of 10
Jan 20, 2017, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Been following or should I say stalking the Horus and now this group for some time and wanted to pose a question. I originally started with a FrSky 2.4G hack for a JR radio, which served it purpose until I moved to one of the original Taranis X9D's which continues to serve me well after a number of upgrades, OpenTX and HW. I personally don't want or need multiple radio's, however I see the need to upgrade my Taranis; M9 gimbals, new sliders and to go OpenTx 2.2. When I add this up I get pretty close to a tipping point of a new radio, and then the dilemma. I have been on the verge a couple of times of pressing the buy button for Horus and then I think it may be an overkill for my use. I then see the Q X7 and this is almost there, with the addition of the M7 gimbals and the new modern design, but I need additional sliders. So I then fall back to a new X9D+ with the M9 gimbals and I then go, maybe I just stick with what I have for the moment.

We've seen FrSky start with an "all purpose" radio which was the fusion of many compromises. They then begin filling niche's. First the tray, then the high end, and now the entry level - specifically quad segment. I'm sure they will continue to milk market the X9D+ as long as it's giving milk it continues to sell. As for an additional transmitter - consider any market segments they may need addressing (is lucrative) - and there you will probably see their next radio.
Jan 20, 2017, 09:13 PM
ALLWHY
Thanks for the replies, my likely outcome will be X9D+ with the new M9 gimbals, but I would have loved the the QX7 tweaked out just a little.

I also understand the FrSky are not going to broadcast their intentions to the world and they need to grow with their existing range and not cannibalize it too soon, but I do think they are at an interesting junction in their evolution. I would say their strategy is slightly muddled and as an example, shipping Horus with FrTX . I understand they want to open the market to people who may not be comfortable with OpenTX, but with your high end product, would you not think this segment would be more adept and willing to take advantage of OpenTX, which they can of course. On the other hand the QX7 seems to target the entry level, focusing on racing quads and perhaps a market less receptive to OpenTX. Would it not have made sense to ship it with FrTX (as well as Open TX)?

Finally, I would be looking at a common electronic platform (digital and RF) that would allow market segmentation through different build configurations and a consistent style philosophy. Maybe with some niche ergonomic variation i.e. trays etc.

It will be interesting to see where FrSky finish up, the will probably get acquired and the game could change dramatically.
Jan 21, 2017, 12:29 AM
Noob here -- how would one plug the radio into a PC? Do I need to use a JR trainer to USB adapter? Specifically, I'm hoping to use this with the game Liftoff.
Jan 21, 2017, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddler
Noob here -- how would one plug the radio into a PC? Do I need to use a JR trainer to USB adapter? Specifically, I'm hoping to use this with the game Liftoff.
USB →microUSB on the bottom of the QX7

EDIT: The MicroUSB port is concealed by a soft rubber door.

Quick Reply