View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with your Taranis Q X7?
Yes, 100% 18 54.55%
Want to have some mods 13 39.39%
Not satisfied 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Oct 19, 2019, 02:27 PM
Is there a good procedure on how to do a range test? I see a range option in OpenTX but I've never been sure how to use it.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2019, 04:01 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
I prefer using full range testing with a buddy and cell phones to test actual range. My bud goes up a hill and keeps the model off the ground to minimize the impact of signal reflections. After you know maximum, then it helps to know what variations might reduce the range and by how much.

Variations would include blocking the line of sight between TX and model using body or another object as well as moving the TX antenna orientation/direction to see the impact on control.

You don't want to be at the edge and have something like the direction of orientation of the model surprise you.

The inbuilt function is more of an acceptability test where the signal is reduced and 30 paces are considered passing. When I do that I try to put the model on a wooden picnic table, or again, use a buddy to reorient the model holding it between waist and chest level. It helps to block the signal and make the model fail so you know the range power was reduced when testing.
Oct 20, 2019, 04:15 PM
The runway used to be longer
Range test:
- Go to the setup screen by clicking 'menu', then 'page'
- Rotate the right knob backwards until you see [RNG]
- Click on [RNG]
- Radio is now outputting far less power but should still have 30M range. Radio chirps to indicate range test.
- Walk away 30 meters and verify you can operate at least one surface. I just pick the most visible one.
- Exit back out to model screen.

Couple extra things:
- With a new RX keep walking further away or use your body to block signal or set the radio near the ground to get the radio link to fail. Then exit out of 'range test' and verify the radio link is re-established. RSSI gives good feedback as well.
- Don't mess around with anything else when you are doing a range check. The radio chirps but it isn't very loud and it is possible to fly your model with range check activated. Make sure you exit out of it.
- You can use it to demonstrate how the signal is lower with the antenna pointed at the model and to orient the model differently and find possible poor antenna location choices.

I hope that's what you meant by Range test.
Oct 20, 2019, 05:26 PM
Fly Planes, Be Happy 😜
You could temporarily program this, then bring the plane with you and leave the radio. This allows you to move the plane into different angles to check for blocked signals.

Taranis OpenTx range tester and servo checker (0 min 23 sec)
Oct 20, 2019, 08:07 PM
What kind of range do the smaller XSR or XM+ type rx achieve? Does the range improve significantly by using an XM or XM+ as a Sat?

I'm just getting started with Frsky and have a lot to learn about getting my helis transferred to work with a QX7s.
Oct 20, 2019, 08:21 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Crasher
What kind of range do the smaller XSR or XM+ type rx achieve? Does the range improve significantly by using an XM or XM+ as a Sat?

I'm just getting started with Frsky and have a lot to learn about getting my helis transferred to work with a QX7s.
FrSky does not use anything resembling Spektrum's satellite receiver technology.

For my racing quads I use XSR receivers. They are smaller than either the XM and XM+. The XSR has telemetry, the XM+ does not.
Oct 21, 2019, 04:49 AM
Donīt grow up, itīs a trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Crasher

The XSR is good for 1.2 km, depending on the antenna ( my setup,....with 2 dipoles even more) , but it is discontinued now and you will not get any new firmware.
With a XM+ you will get full range ( >2km )
Oct 21, 2019, 07:42 AM
Thanks aMax,

I should have been clearing in my original post, the RX I am picking up today to start testing on the bench with is the R-XSR unit. The ads say it's full range, will it reach or exceed the 1.2km noted.

I believe my max distance is 500m or closer since heli's get pretty small out to far.
Oct 21, 2019, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mike
Range test:
- Go to the setup screen by clicking 'menu', then 'page'
- Rotate the right knob backwards until you see [RNG]
- Click on [RNG]
- Radio is now outputting far less power but should still have 30M range. Radio chirps to indicate range test.
- Walk away 30 meters and verify you can operate at least one surface. I just pick the most visible one.
- Exit back out to model screen.

Couple extra things:
- With a new RX keep walking further away or use your body to block signal or set the radio near the ground to get the radio link to fail. Then exit out of 'range test' and verify the radio link is re-established. RSSI gives good feedback as well.
- Don't mess around with anything else when you are doing a range check. The radio chirps but it isn't very loud and it is possible to fly your model with range check activated. Make sure you exit out of it.
- You can use it to demonstrate how the signal is lower with the antenna pointed at the model and to orient the model differently and find possible poor antenna location choices.

I hope that's what you meant by Range test.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Thank you for the instructions. I will try this.
Oct 21, 2019, 12:57 PM
One precaution I always take is to walk a circle around the model at that ~30m distance.

It's not as reliable as having an assistant rotate the model in all three axes, but if you're working on your own it can help you identify antenna shielding problems.
Oct 22, 2019, 02:27 PM
65 years of RC flying
You need to distinguish different circumstances under which reduced power range testing is done.

The first is thorough testing of a new or modified installation. In that case, you should test from all directions, either by walking a full circle around the model at 30m or by having and assistant rotate it while you move the controls. This tests for blank spots in coverage caused by antenna alignment or positioning.

Otherwise, each session, before the first flight, you should simply walk away 30m and test control. This verifies that the radio system is working normally.
Oct 23, 2019, 06:59 AM
The other day Qx7 fell from my hands, the temporary switch broke!
Now I have to replace it and I will take the opportunity to also add the two additional switches P400 and P401.

I wonder if I can use the temporary switch's contacts to put a 3-position switch (??)
and then put the new temporary switch on the P400 ports.

I have to order from banggood and to have the spare parts I have to wait at least 1 month, so I can't go wrong to make the order ...

This is the temporary switch: https://www.banggood.com/custlink/mv3DeI1l5g
Oct 23, 2019, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conte Vlad
I wonder if I can use the temporary switch's contacts to put a 3-position switch (??)
yes, that should work.
Oct 23, 2019, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by interestingfello
yes, that should work.
I think not, unfortunately!

I checked now for security, there are only 2 cables and the yellow signal is missing ...

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 5 utilizzando Tapatalk
Oct 23, 2019, 02:45 PM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conte Vlad
The other day Qx7 fell from my hands, the temporary switch broke!
Now I have to replace it and I will take the opportunity to also add the two additional switches P400 and P401.

I have to order from banggood and to have the spare parts I have to wait at least 1 month, so I can't go wrong to make the order ...

This is the temporary switch: https://www.banggood.com/custlink/mv3DeI1l5g
Just to get the terminology correct. What you are referring to is called a momentary switch. (A temporary switch would be one you installed for a limited time.)

Here’s an explanation:

Momentary Or Maintained Switch?

Maintained simply means that when you set the switch to ON it stays on until you push it OFF and so on. A typical way of seeing a three-position maintained circuit spelled out is like this: On-Off-On.

Momentary simply means that the switch is only ON (or OFF) when you are holding it and returns to the maintained position when released. A typical way of seeing a momentary circuit spelled out is like this: (On)-Off. Any time you see the parenthesis symbol around the function it indicates it is momentary

Quick Reply