View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with your Taranis Q X7?
Yes, 100% 18 54.55%
Want to have some mods 13 39.39%
Not satisfied 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Aug 30, 2019, 09:20 AM
ErskyTx Developer
For some reason I have it in mind you have a normal precision vario not the high precision one.
From the manual:
"Measures: -700 ~ 10000m with 0.1m (high precision version) 1m (normal version) resolution"
If it is the normal precision version then jumping from -2.9 to +2.5 feet may not be surprising.

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2019, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blandford
For some reason I have it in mind you have a normal precision vario not the high precision one.
From the manual:
"Measures: -700 ~ 10000m with 0.1m (high precision version) 1m (normal version) resolution"
If it is the normal precision version then jumping from -2.9 to +2.5 feet may not be surprising.

Mike
Thank you Mike and Kilrah. I do have the Normal Precision version which would explain a lot according to your information and expertise. I may have been expecting the impossible for the unit I have. Now, lets get some calmer weather and go fly.
Sep 08, 2019, 12:13 AM
Question for the QX7 users: I'm having a problem binding my QX7 to my new Horizon Hobby Night Radian and I'm hoping someone can help me figure out why. First, the background:

1. I've had a QX7 for a couple years, and have bound to multiple Spektrum aircraft (all UMX or micro drones - probably 10 different ones total).

2. I use one of those "hack modules" (the ones where you get the circuit board online and then solder in the RF chip from an old Spektrum dx4e radio) in my external module bay. I used the publicly available circuit boards that everyone else uses so it's the standard design. Works fine for all my UMX planes.

3. The Night Radian is my first plane with one of those bigger receivers that require a bind plug, so that part is new to me (the UMX planes just go into bind mode immediately when you first activate them). I've followed the directions in the manual precisely, but no luck.

SYMPTOMS / STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
1. I turn off the radio as instructed.
2. I put the bind plug in the plane.
3. I connect the battery. It beeps four times, then the orange light starts to blink indefinitely, indicating it is in bind mode.
4. I remove the bind plug as instructed, and it still flashes orange, indicating it is still ready to bind (according to the directions, this is required if you want to use SAFE mode. If you leave the bind plug in while binding, SAFE mode is disabled by the receiver. Take it out and bind, and it will be enabled).
5. I turn on the QX7.
6. I select the model and hit bind.

At this point, if binding works, the instructions say the receiver light should stop flashing orange and stay solid orange. In my case, it briefly solidifies (probably no more than a second), then the light goes out completely - no flashing, no solid, just nothing. The plane is not bound, and does not respond to the controls. The receiver isn't completely bad because I was able to get it to work as described by binding to a backup Spektrum DXe transmitter I had.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Any ideas on how I can get it to bind to my QX7?
Sep 08, 2019, 12:52 AM
Sokol
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraicMirror
Question for the QX7 users: I'm having a problem binding my QX7 to my new Horizon Hobby Night Radian and I'm hoping someone can help me figure out why. ... Any ideas on how I can get it to bind to my QX7?

try the same procedure with larger distance between the Tx and Rx.
I normally walk to another room with the radio and hear the receiver engaging the servos after binding .
This is more or less standard with Spektrum , and nothing peculiar to using a QX7 and a module.

A recommendation is to ditch the Spektrum receiver and install a FrSky G-RX6 Vario Rx , with telemetry variometer, altimeter.

https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-g-rx6.html
Sep 09, 2019, 01:10 AM

Vario still not working

Went flying this morning hoping that vario was set up OK. Still not working and the Alt does not centre properly and read out says something like -2.6 ft when I am obviously about +150 ft. Will again list my Vario and Telemetry settings again and include photos of r/x (D8R-II Plus) and SD Vario showing connections.

VARIO - Source A2; Switch SB-; Sensitivity 40; Base Frequency 0; Offset Frequency 0; Volume Vol; Sink Tones off.

TELEMETRY - Proto FrSky Imp; A1 19.8V; A2 13.2v; RSSI 45; RSSI Critical 42; Blades 1; Alt Alarm 400; BT Telemetry -; Com Port 1; Com 2 Function Auto; Com 2 Baudrate Auto; Com 1 Baudrate Ato; Current Source A2.

Vario connection to r/x: Black/Red wire plug to ch 8; Yellow wire to Rx; Brown wire to A2.

I have 2 of these Varios and I am close to chucking them into a box and forgetting about them. Having said that I am quite open to the idea that it is me at fault and not the equipment.
Sep 09, 2019, 03:09 AM
ErskyTx Developer
Please,set up logging of the telemetry. Navigate to the "Statistics" menus and go to the "Debug" menu, You should see "Raw Logging" set to off. Press menu and that should change, either to on, or if your firmware is recent enough it will change to "bin". If you get "bin", press menu again to get to "hex". Note that this setting is not saved and will revert to "off" when you switch the Tx off.

Now enable logging and then turn the Rx/vario on. Let this operate for a few seconds, while, if possible, raising and lowering the Rx/vario a few feet.

Disable logging.

On the SD card, in the "Logs" directory, you should now find the log file with a name of the model you are using and an extansion of "raw".

Copy this file and post it here (you may need to zip it up to allow it to be posted).

Mike
Sep 09, 2019, 10:02 PM
Hi Mike. I followed your instructions.
In Statistics/debug I pressed menu and the square next to "Raw Logging" had a tick appear.
I went to "Telemetry" menu and went to "Logging" and entered. I then plugged in battery and raised and lowered the model. I then exited "Logging" and also "Telemetry" menu and back to usual flying screen. Turned off the t/x and removed the SD card and opened it in the computer, opened "Logs" folder and it was empty. What did I do wrong?
My firmware is: er9xd-r221, 19-02-2018, mod X9D. Am I missing something?
Sep 09, 2019, 11:02 PM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraicMirror
Question for the QX7 users: I'm having a problem binding my QX7 to my new Horizon Hobby Night Radian and I'm hoping someone can help me figure out why. First, the background:

1. I've had a QX7 for a couple years, and have bound to multiple Spektrum aircraft (all UMX or micro drones - probably 10 different ones total).

2. I use one of those "hack modules" (the ones where you get the circuit board online and then solder in the RF chip from an old Spektrum dx4e radio) in my external module bay. I used the publicly available circuit boards that everyone else uses so it's the standard design. Works fine for all my UMX planes.

3. The Night Radian is my first plane with one of those bigger receivers that require a bind plug, so that part is new to me (the UMX planes just go into bind mode immediately when you first activate them). I've followed the directions in the manual precisely, but no luck.

SYMPTOMS / STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
1. I turn off the radio as instructed.
2. I put the bind plug in the plane.
3. I connect the battery. It beeps four times, then the orange light starts to blink indefinitely, indicating it is in bind mode.
4. I remove the bind plug as instructed, and it still flashes orange, indicating it is still ready to bind (according to the directions, this is required if you want to use SAFE mode. If you leave the bind plug in while binding, SAFE mode is disabled by the receiver. Take it out and bind, and it will be enabled).
5. I turn on the QX7.
6. I select the model and hit bind.

At this point, if binding works, the instructions say the receiver light should stop flashing orange and stay solid orange. In my case, it briefly solidifies (probably no more than a second), then the light goes out completely - no flashing, no solid, just nothing. The plane is not bound, and does not respond to the controls. The receiver isn't completely bad because I was able to get it to work as described by binding to a backup Spektrum DXe transmitter I had.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Any ideas on how I can get it to bind to my QX7?
You never state which receiver you are using. “Big one that uses bind plug” fits the great majority of Spektrum receivers.
The beeping is from the ESC. Not related to bind.
The transmitter needs to be 1-2m (or even more sometimes) away from the receiver. This is the most frequent problem.
Don’t do this in close proximity to big metal objects such a a furnace, metal fence, or vehicle.
This is the most common scenario in which the bind fails — it goes right down to the last step, but the light fails to come on.
Sep 12, 2019, 02:12 PM
OpenX 2.3 RC1 It has arrived
and Support for additional switches for X7 on PAD400 and PAD401

What pieces (cables, switches) do I have to buy to make this change?
I think these switches are suitable for the purpose:
FrSky Taranis 3 Position Short
FrSky 3 Position Long
One Position Two Position Replacement Toggle Switch for FrSky Taranis
FrSky Taranis 6 Position Switch

For the connection cable I have some doubts ...
Mini Micro JST 2.0 PH 3 Pin Connector Plug
Is there any guide to copy?

how do you plan to exploit this excellent change?
Sep 12, 2019, 02:52 PM
Flip on Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conte Vlad
OpenX 2.3 RC1 It has arrived
and Support for additional switches for X7 on PAD400 and PAD401

Oh good. I can transfer my joystick on these.

Thanks.
Sep 12, 2019, 04:04 PM
FA3PR9WM79
[QUOTE=Conte Vlad;42725717]
Quote:
I'm going to hire a neurosurgeon to insert an intercranial cybernetic interface that makes me poke myself in the eye every time I think about modifying my radio.
Sep 13, 2019, 06:26 PM
Radio no longer works as a Gamepad for Velocidrone. I think there was a Windows 10 update and now it doesn't work. I have been using Velocidrone for a couple of weeks now. I have a Sim model set up on the radio. But suddenly Velocidrone doesn't recognize the controller.

I checked the devices and printers in the Control Panel and it shows as a FrSky Taranis Joystick. Previously it was listed as a Joystick and the icon looked like a gamepad and I could calibrate it for use with the simulator. Now it says it's a Frsky Joystick but the icon looks like a storage device and it's not recognized by Velocidrone. I can't right click it to calibrate it. Does anyone have a fix for this?
Last edited by Griggs2121; Sep 13, 2019 at 06:38 PM.
Sep 13, 2019, 06:39 PM
e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griggs2121
Does anyone have a fix for this?
Yes, here.
Sep 13, 2019, 07:40 PM
Finally got the vario working OK. Used a new G-RX8 receiver and all worked as should. Will visit the D8 receiver at another time to see if I can get that to work with the vario.
Sep 13, 2019, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
Yes, here.
Thank you!

Quick Reply