FrSKY Taranis Q X7 - FAQ, discussion, info - the younger full-featured radio. - Page 3 - RC Groups
View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with your Taranis Q X7?
Yes, 100% 18 54.55%
Want to have some mods 13 39.39%
Not satisfied 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Jan 20, 2017, 01:42 PM
Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetMart
Can't wait to get mine when the hall sensor gimbals are released.
This is the closest thing to my perfect tx (if it lives up to expectation)
I've already got mine M9 for X9DP (you can read and watch my review here). M7 would be exactly the same but with the base plate suitable for Q X7.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2017, 01:54 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datos
I've already got mine M9 for X9DP (you can read and watch my review here). M7 would be exactly the same but with the base plate suitable for Q X7.
I think that is brilliant that FrSky used the expensive all aluminum CNC Hall Effect sensor gimbal design from the Horus X12S for the design inspiration for the M9 and M7 gimbal. Then add to that, the aluminum mounting plate being a separate part from the plastic gimbal frame/mechanics so the same mechanics can be adapted to different FrSky radio models with just a different mounting plate.

Mike
Jan 20, 2017, 01:55 PM
Thanks Alex. I tried to remove the antenna last night, but was afraid of breaking as I squeezed the internal antenna circle mount and its unwillingness to get pulled through.

When I get around to installing an SMA i'll update the group.

Quote:
Do not hesitate to contact me after doing your mods - I would add them to FAQ or Topic
Jan 20, 2017, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
Good questions.

Q1 - The firmware that controls all of the mixing and model setup is OpenTX, this is an open source project. There is another set of firmware in the radio from FrSky, this handles all of the system processes like the RF module and protocols.

Now for the confusing bits. FrSky will adopt a copy of OpenTX every now and then and comb through it, maybe making small changes here and there to meet their needs and then release that as a FrSky authorized version. This version will be posted up on their website for updating and also used when building new radios. They will do this as needed, but ideally only happens a few times a year at most. The OpenTX team on the other hand are constantly updating and adding new features to OpenTX. They will from time to time release a "stable" version for everyone to use, but they also have "nightly" builds people can use if they want to help test the new features. So there are different releases at different times.

My recommendation, go with the OpenTX full release versions. They will be the latest and greatest. Do you need to constantly update the firmware? NO! If there is something new that you would like to take advantage of, then yes, by all means do so. At the time of this writing, there is an issue with the curves in the X7, so eventually those of us with an early radio will want to upgrade to the new stable release from OpenTX when it is available. We will post up in this thread when that happens and try to have a step by step process for everyone.

Q2 - No, more voltage does not give a stronger anything on the radio. The voltage will be dropped by a voltage regulator to exactly what the chipset requires. Regardless of what battery you put into the radio, it will always run off the same voltage inside.

Hope this helps.

-Wayne
Perfect explaination.. to put it into terms I'm more familiar with, I compare it to Google's Android vs something like CyanogenMod... Google's Android is the frsky version, tuned to fit what they see as the best overall implementation for what they want in their hardware.. CyanogenMod is OpenTx, the knife-edge features and sometimes experimental version of what the community thinks will bring out the best in a wide range of hardware. It may not always be the easiest route to go, but is generally more flexible and feature rich, and will enable the educated user to do more with their hardware than Google's Android will.
Jan 20, 2017, 02:20 PM
I like it. Very satisfied.
I can see a gift to my daughter next b'day.
Very easy to navigate the menus using the rotary knob.

The mod I will make if Wayne 'wins' his request for an charger mod to go with the FrSky NiMh battery pack is all I can for see as needed.

I higher resolution screen would have been nice....but a higher price would lessen the appeal.

Very comfortable feel in hands. This may obsolete my X9D and Horus.
But then I'm a proud fanboy of OpenTx. As soon as Companion is released for it I'll be really happy.
Great job on the UI by both FrSky and the OpenTx development team, given the screen resolution.

I'm 100% satisfied with the purchase, but will mod.
Last edited by Dean Church; Jan 20, 2017 at 09:17 PM.
Jan 20, 2017, 02:35 PM
Suspended Account
Here you can buy it on Presale - https://goo.gl/uP1QHA . They will start shipping it on 21.01 . I hope that i've helped to someone
Jan 20, 2017, 02:38 PM
Froggy RC Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
9XR Pro $60 + DJT module $25 = $85
Still having margin for $15 dedicated pack or a receiver.

Not posting to endorse Barry2020 claim, but to show the status market as we wrote, and what/where is the competition.
DJT is only 8 channels. For a fair comparison, it should be a XJT module.
9XR Pro $60 + XJT module $40 = $100
Jan 20, 2017, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melophat
Perfect explaination.. to put it into terms I'm more familiar with, I compare it to Google's Android vs something like CyanogenMod... Google's Android is the frsky version, tuned to fit what they see as the best overall implementation for what they want in their hardware.. CyanogenMod is OpenTx, the knife-edge features and sometimes experimental version of what the community thinks will bring out the best in a wide range of hardware. It may not always be the easiest route to go, but is generally more flexible and feature rich, and will enable the educated user to do more with their hardware than Google's Android will.
Assuming the voltage regulators are efficient, a higher voltage pack of the same capacity should give you a longer transmitter runtime.

Assuming the q-X7 is the same as the X9D+, the higher voltage will also be presented as the battery voltage on that module pin which can be useful if you use an external module that requires a higher voltages. It is also something to be aware of if the module you want to use cannot handle the higher voltage since you may damage the module.
Jan 20, 2017, 03:26 PM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
In!!!!!
Jan 20, 2017, 04:20 PM
Quote:
i really really want this upgrade, cant wait to rotozuk to start selling them. NOw i dont want to sound shallow but the only thing i dont like is that they look so plain! no tiny threads just to old boring lines forming a cross, say what you like about the stock ones but they have the junno se qua (i dont know what) of proffesional looking
Jan 20, 2017, 05:04 PM
I want one!!!! When will they be in stock? My birthday is in March, don't want to have a bad birthday, do you?

BTW, how does this radio feel compared to the old Futaba 9C. The 9C has been great over the years, but sometimes it feels too big in my hands when I want to do coordinated rudder control with ailerons and elevator on the other stick.
Jan 20, 2017, 05:18 PM
Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsukaria
I want one!!!! When will they be in stock? My birthday is in March, don't want to have a bad birthday, do you?

BTW, how does this radio feel compared to the old Futaba 9C. The 9C has been great over the years, but sometimes it feels too big in my hands when I want to do coordinated rudder control with ailerons and elevator on the other stick.
It is on sales in different shops already. Aloft, T9, HorusRC and others. You can choose any you prefer.

Futaba is a good radio. I haven't possesed any of Futaba myself but I've played a lot with T8FG Super since some of my friends had it. It is more modern than 9C and easier to compare to current FrSKY lineup. The positive things that I always keep saying about Futaba is neat electrical design, beautiful screen and very well shaped firmware + bullet proof RX protocol. But what I always noticed in T8FG is how slippery it is in hands. I've always been afraid of dropping it. Additionally, in terms of functionality - it is much less freedom in settings and FW setup, as well as HW limits concerning RX+telemetry ecosystem. Current cheap Futaba radios like T6J are very limited in functionality and even sticks feel cheap comparing to Q X7 or X9DP.
Last edited by Datos; Jan 20, 2017 at 06:06 PM.
Jan 20, 2017, 05:28 PM
Thanks Datos.

I was only asking about the size and weight of the X7 compared the weight and size of the old Futaba 9C. I am not considering a Futaba, only a FrSky for my next radio. My only concerns are the ergonomics, I am sold on the features of the X7.
Jan 20, 2017, 05:40 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
Thanks Datos.

I was only asking about the size and weight of the X7 compared the weight and size of the old Futaba 9C. I am not considering a Futaba, only a FrSky for my next radio. My only concerns are the ergonomics, I am sold on the features of the X7.
My old Futaba 9C is 2.03 lbs with the standard NiCad battery and my Q X7 is 1.77 lbs with the six cell 2500 mAh LSD NiMh battery installed.

Mike
Jan 20, 2017, 05:56 PM
Alex
Quote:
Thanks Datos.

Even if you consider Futaba - this is your choice. I've tried to express my feelings about Futaba in overall. Concerning weight and shape - seems like 9C is more like X9DP and Q X7 weights less and feels thinner. But the total weight would greatly depend of the battery you'd choose. Moreover, if you'd go with M7 Hall sensor gimbals later - radio would become another ~20g heavier. I, personally, got used to X9DP which weights more than Q X7 and I wanted to make it heavier with the battery choice. In either case you would have to get used to Q X7 at first... 9C looks very conservative and classical (as well as X9DP does) and Q X7 modern handling and grip is kind of new in positive way....
Last edited by Datos; Jan 20, 2017 at 06:03 PM.