FrSKY Taranis Q X7 - FAQ, discussion, info - the younger full-featured radio. - Page 2 - RC Groups
View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with your Taranis Q X7?
Yes, 100% 18 54.55%
Want to have some mods 13 39.39%
Not satisfied 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Jan 20, 2017, 12:37 PM
Forgive the noob questions that follow:

Q1: In the previous thread I saw references to both frsky fw and opentx fw.. I'm assuming that frsky fw handles the component drivers while opentx fw is the interface/feature implementation.. is this correct? If not, what are the differences/pros and cons of each.

Q2: i am a tech guy, but have little experience with electrical.. the TX can handle incoming voltages from 6-15v.. is there a correlation between voltage and transmission strength or is this range to account for battery drain during the use of the power pack?

Thanks, and hopefully with help from all the great people on here I won't be the FNG asking stupid questions for too long.
Last edited by Melophat; Jan 20, 2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Apparently phone emojii don't translate well to posts
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2017, 12:39 PM
LOL Barry2020 your post will make you look like a fool in what will become one of the most popular threads on RC groups.

By the way, FrSky charges all of about $5 for a NiMH battery for the radio. Is $110 too much money for a 32 channel radio with full telemetry and more receivers and sensor options than you can point a stick at? I will be flying my $$$$ gliders with this radio without hesitation. I would not say that about any other radio at this price point.

-Wayne
Jan 20, 2017, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datos
they were thinking of maintaining the lowest price possible and still keeping the most of the features and technology even for such price point. Hit me with another radio like this at this price
9XR Pro $60 + DJT module $25 = $85
Still having margin for $15 dedicated pack or a receiver.

Not posting to endorse Barry2020 claim, but to show the status market as we wrote, and what/where is the competition.
Jan 20, 2017, 12:41 PM
Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melophat

Q1: In the previous thread I saw references to both frsky fw and opentx fw.. I'm assuming that frsky fw handles the component drivers while opentx fw is the interface/feature implementation.. is this correct? If not, what are the differences/pros and cons of each.

Q2: i am a tech guy, but have little experience with electrical.. the TX can handle incoming voltages from 6-15v.. is there a correlation between voltage and transmission strength or is this range to account for battery drain during the use of the power pack?

Thanks, and hopefully with help from all the great people on here I won't be the FNG asking stupid questions for too long.
1. OpenTX is an OS for a board itself that drives everything except the internal RF module (let's call it a peripheral device with its own driver) - XJT. FrSKY FW part is only in RF module. It could be either EU LBT or FCC version (Europe or International (USA FCC)). The only radio from FrSKY right now that has OpenTX and its own FrTX OS options (you choose which one to use) to drive the motherboard - is Horus X12S.

2. It is believed and tested that 2S (up to 8.4V) is the best option. If you'd go with 3S and up to 15V - there might be minor performance drop in RF signal strength due to higher interference between electical parts. I cannot tell you for sure about Q X7 but my tests with Taranis X9DPlus showed such behavior.
Last edited by Datos; Jan 20, 2017 at 12:57 PM.
Jan 20, 2017, 12:47 PM
Just noting here, I am becoming a huge fan of the radio and voted that I am 100% satisfied. I will note, that being in the hobby, I like to hack. There are a few upgrades that will make this radio even better.

I will be looking into adding a different antenna (this may take time as its not necessary at all)

I will also be looking forward to the upgraded gimbals (I have aurora gimbals coming for my 9xr, but will try on this radio too), but have no fear because the m7's Hall effect gimbals are slated to come out soon enough.

Besides that, this radio has been great with ergonomics (weight, size, placement of switches) and abilities so far.
Jan 20, 2017, 12:48 PM
Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliiii
Just noting here, I am becoming a huge fan of the radio and voted that I am 100% satisfied. I will note, that being in the hobby, I like to hack. There are a few upgrades that will make this radio even better.

I will be looking into adding a different antenna (this may take time as its not necessary at all)

I will also be looking forward to the upgraded gimbals (I have aurora gimbals coming for my 9xr, but will try on this radio too), but have no fear because the m7's Hall effect gimbals are slated to come out soon enough.

Besides that, this radio has been great with ergonomics (weight, size, placement of switches) and abilities so far.
Do not hesitate to contact me after doing your mods - I would add them to FAQ or Topic
Jan 20, 2017, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melophat

Good questions.

Q1 - The firmware that controls all of the mixing and model setup is OpenTX, this is an open source project. There is another set of firmware in the radio from FrSky, this handles all of the system processes like the RF module and protocols.

Now for the confusing bits. FrSky will adopt a copy of OpenTX every now and then and comb through it, maybe making small changes here and there to meet their needs and then release that as a FrSky authorized version. This version will be posted up on their website for updating and also used when building new radios. They will do this as needed, but ideally only happens a few times a year at most. The OpenTX team on the other hand are constantly updating and adding new features to OpenTX. They will from time to time release a "stable" version for everyone to use, but they also have "nightly" builds people can use if they want to help test the new features. So there are different releases at different times.

My recommendation, go with the OpenTX full release versions. They will be the latest and greatest. Do you need to constantly update the firmware? NO! If there is something new that you would like to take advantage of, then yes, by all means do so. At the time of this writing, there is an issue with the curves in the X7, so eventually those of us with an early radio will want to upgrade to the new stable release from OpenTX when it is available. We will post up in this thread when that happens and try to have a step by step process for everyone.

Q2 - No, more voltage does not give a stronger anything on the radio. The voltage will be dropped by a voltage regulator to exactly what the chipset requires. Regardless of what battery you put into the radio, it will always run off the same voltage inside.

Hope this helps.

-Wayne
Jan 20, 2017, 12:59 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa

Not posting to endorse Barry2020 claim, but to show the status market as we wrote, and what/where is the competition.
Compare what's comparable - 9XR-Pro + XJT = $101.
Jan 20, 2017, 12:59 PM
Quote:

Is this really a fair comparison? When I look up the Turnigy 9XR Pro, I see it for $60 like you said, but shipping from HobbyKing costs another $18 for the cheapest/slowest option. Also, are the gimbals the same quality between the Q X7 and the 9XR Pro? I have a 9XR Pro and I absolutely hate that radio. For me, the ergonomics are just god-awful and the gimbals are a poor excuse for 2 sticks in the mud. Can anyone verify that the Q X7 has same/better/worse gimbals?
-beanie
Jan 20, 2017, 01:00 PM
Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
Q2 - No, more voltage does not give a stronger anything on the radio. The voltage will be dropped by a voltage regulator to exactly what the chipset requires. Regardless of what battery you put into the radio, it will always run off the same voltage inside.
-Wayne
Agree. But my tests showed (I've also found some posts about it from other people) - the more voltage we input to the radio = the more work is done by DC-DC converter = the more interference we have = small drop of RF performance we see. I can confirm it only for X9DP. Haven't tested Q X7 about this matter yet.
Jan 20, 2017, 01:01 PM
Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie
Is this really a fair comparison? When I look up the Turnigy 9XR Pro, I see it for $60 like you said, but shipping from HobbyKing costs another $18 for the cheapest/slowest option. Also, are the gimbals the same quality between the Q X7 and the 9XR Pro? I have a 9XR Pro and I absolutely hate that radio. For me, the ergonomics are just god-awful and the gimbals are a poor excuse for 2 sticks in the mud. Can anyone verify that the Q X7 has same/better/worse gimbals?
-beanie
I can verify. I had 9XR Pro. Q X7 gimbals are much better + there would be M7 Hall sensor gimbal option soon available for Q X7 if you need the cutting edge technology for your controls.
Jan 20, 2017, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datos
I can verify. I had 9XR Pro. Q X7 gimbals are much better + there would be M7 Hall sensor gimbal option soon available for Q X7 if you need the cutting edge technology for your controls.
Yesm the M7 gimbals will be available shortly after the Chinese New Year holidays. They should retail for $20.50 each. So you will be able to have a 16 channel radio with VERY NICE hall effect gimbals for $150.

I know I am not an unbiased source, but here is what I really like about the X7.

It feels great in my hands. Not too small and not too large.
It is very easy to navigate, I really love the new button layout.
It has all of the stuff I need in a radio, and nothing else. There are no gimmicks, no fluff. Everything on this radio is well thought out and exists for a reason. You might say it is a minimalist radio.
Now open it up and check out the guts, the Taranis Q X7 is a work of art inside. Super clean and well thought out.
Jan 20, 2017, 01:18 PM
Quote:

The 9XR PRO does not come with a battery...which was the complaint. Since you have to assemble the pieces yourself the 9XR PRO is not the "state of the market". It's a component in a DIY kit that you have to complete by adding an actual radio so it only appeals to a few.

As far as I know there are no sub $150US radios that come with batteries unless it's 4xAA alkalines.

Here's the obvious competition...

Spektrum dx6e
"4 AA batteries included"

graupner-mz-12

Alkaline 4 cell included

Radiolink-AT10II
No batteries included (requires 8AAs or equivalent pack)

tactic ttx650

4 "AA" alkaline batteries included

FlySky i6X
No batteries included - requires 4AAs

That list also gives you a good idea what a great value the Q-X7 is.
Jan 20, 2017, 01:35 PM
Quote:

I have had two 9xR Pro and literally given them away because of their lack of quality. The TaranisQ X7 is absolutely not comparable with the 9xR Pro or other cheap entry level transmitters - except that the QX7 price is insanely low.
Last edited by scott page; Jan 20, 2017 at 03:34 PM.
Jan 20, 2017, 01:37 PM
BMFA 120061
Can't wait to get mine when the hall sensor gimbals are released.
This is the closest thing to my perfect tx (if it lives up to expectation)