Dji Light Bridge alternative? - RC Groups
Jan 20, 2017, 07:23 AM
Discussion

Dji Light Bridge alternative?

Hello everyone,

Ive built a tarrot x8 on a Dji a2 platform. I'm going to be using a Gh4 with a zenmuse gimbal but I want a video downlink that is good enough quality to see what I'm doing. I'm not going to be live streaming 1080p with it so I don't need a ridiculously expensive downlink kit so does anyone know of a good alternative to the lightbridge?

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2017, 04:52 PM
There is a Connex Prosight system that lets you have 720P. However I believe you're forced to use the camera they provide, you can't use your own camera.

Otherwise you're pretty much stuck with standard def analog video. There are some really good 5.8Ghz transmitters and directional antennas that can give you miles of range. You can also use a lower frequency UHF system on 900Mhz but it is much more difficult than 5.8Ghz and you would need a HAM license. If you don't need to fly far beyond line of sight then I would stick with 5.8Ghz.

With my quad, I have my main camera on a gimbal and a stationary FPV camera, both with their own transmitters on different bands. I have two FPV displays so that I can quickly look at whichever one I want, whether I'm focused on navigating the quad or framing a shot.

Personally I have the Tarot 650 Sport with retractable landing gear and it's absolutely fantastic. I don't know why you'd spend so much on a DJI A2 flight controller, the Pixhawk is far cheaper and much more customizable.
Jan 20, 2017, 10:50 PM
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsd01
There is a Connex Prosight system that lets you have 720P. However I believe you're forced to use the camera they provide, you can't use your own camera.

Otherwise you're pretty much stuck with standard def analog video. There are some really good 5.8Ghz transmitters and directional antennas that can give you miles of range. You can also use a lower frequency UHF system on 900Mhz but it is much more difficult than 5.8Ghz and you would need a HAM license. If you don't need to fly far beyond line of sight then I would stick with 5.8Ghz.

With my quad, I have my main camera on a gimbal and a stationary FPV camera, both with their own transmitters on different bands. I have two FPV displays so that I can quickly look at whichever one I want, whether I'm focused on navigating the quad or framing a shot.

Personally I have the Tarot 650 Sport with retractable landing gear and it's absolutely fantastic. I don't know why you'd spend so much on a DJI A2 flight controller, the Pixhawk is far cheaper and much more customizable.
Great feedback!

The, "Real professional" commercial UAS people will opt for the DJI solution almost exclusivly though arguing that a DIY drone can't compete with a DJI product.

I for one am not convinced. It appears to me to be a question of not wanting to be bothered with the learning curve associated with DIY. There is a large investment in time learning all there is needed to know about the many different systems required for a viable, reliable aerial photography platform. Perhaps for some, it is more complexity than they are capable of assimilating. Still others, with bottomless pockets, view their drones as simply a tool, and having to invest time in the creation of an UAS is time wasted, "Re inventing the wheel".

I am enjoying the creative process of engineering my own UAS. I am taking it slow and methodical. The learning curve is steep with much effort involved to be sure, but, when I'm done, it will be mine, created by me as I saw fit. When and if something goes awry, I'll know how and why, and what to do about it. I won't have to ask DJI for help!

Breezer1
Jan 21, 2017, 03:04 AM
Boooriiiiing.
The Connex and Connex Mini are great systems with HDMI input. I've had good luck with the former. Much cheaper than Lightbridge but still pricey.
Last edited by MadMonkey572; Jan 22, 2017 at 01:16 AM.
Jan 21, 2017, 01:45 PM
Thanks for that! I chose dji for ease of use and got a brand new A2 system for 500, iosd mkii for 60 etc and I just like the interface with dji. I started on more self programming DIY systems and I just didn't fancy suspending 1500 worth of camera from something that might have a little glitch and bite the dust. Plus the zenmuse gimbals (as far as I'm aware) need a Dji brain to run them. Looks like I need to have a look at the connex systems!
Jan 23, 2017, 03:16 AM
TAROT 680 PRO HEXACOPTER (9 min 46 sec)

This a new OSD being developed that supports HDMI and Analog camera inputs.
Also supports analog or digital transmission with mobile streaming via a 3G connection
also under development.
Jan 23, 2017, 05:28 AM
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC WIK
https://youtu.be/VcEDy-zID2g

This a new OSD being developed that supports HDMI and Analog camera inputs.
Also supports analog or digital transmission with mobile streaming via a 3G connection
also under development.
Im interested!
Whats it called?
Where can you get it?
What is the price going to be?
When will it be available?

Thanks!

Breezer1
Jan 23, 2017, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezer1
Im interested!
Whats it called?
Where can you get it?
What is the price going to be?
When will it be available?

Thanks!

Breezer1
Hi Breezer1

Thanks for your interest.
The product is still under development and will released
in the 2nd quarter of 2017. If you are interested in beta
testing and giving your feedback, please message me privately and let me know your
UAV configuration, specifically the flight controller, video inputs, and
FPV video transmission. The OSD will be initially compatible with the DJI NAZA V2, DJI A2 and
the Pixhawk. Availability will be via dealers (let me know if you have a dealer preference
and we will get in touch with them for availability) . Pricing has not been finalised yet.
best regards.
Mar 22, 2017, 11:56 PM
If you need a long range link, our Sky Drone FPV system might be an option. (https://www.skydrone.aero/)
Mar 29, 2017, 06:48 AM
We need something like this on the market as soon as possible. A decent user interface system with good functionality that does not come with a silly price tag and clashing software updates/ bugs.

Our i1 is finished been repaired now at last and the problem it went in for.... wasnt even fixed.

They just blamed our shield tablet despite it been recommended as the best tablet out there for years so ultimately we have a system that will not even run the slave feed correctly that cant be fixed....well done dji. Well done indeed.

And further more frustrating is our next system will be by them again as no one else is offering the functionality they do for the price.
Apr 02, 2017, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by giumick
We need something like this on the market as soon as possible. A decent user interface system with good functionality that does not come with a silly price tag and clashing software updates/ bugs.

Our i1 is finished been repaired now at last and the problem it went in for.... wasnt even fixed.

They just blamed our shield tablet despite it been recommended as the best tablet out there for years so ultimately we have a system that will not even run the slave feed correctly that cant be fixed....well done dji. Well done indeed.
The software is only part of the solution, albeit a large part. The real challenge is the integration of different systems, the limitless numbers of vendors and the quality of said products. IMO, it only takes one cut corner to ruin, what looks like on paper, a really good DIY solution. A DIY solution will have a higher probability of making a bad decision or getting a bad part or, or, or than a COTS product that has worked out a lot of the lower level bugs that can plague manufacturers and DIY folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giumick
And further more frustrating is our next system will be by them again as no one else is offering the functionality they do for the price.
That is the rub isn't it? I have tried to price out a similar system and DIY parts are just as expensive and that is just to get started. As someone mentioned, the real cost is time... time building, tinkering, repairing and tuning. That can literally be most of your available time as we only have so many hours a day.
Apr 03, 2017, 05:14 AM

Remote cockpit

post deleted as moderator has stated that it is an off topic advertisement
Last edited by ERIC WIK; Apr 19, 2017 at 05:41 PM. Reason: post deleted as moderator has stated that it is an off topic advertisement
Sep 10, 2017, 09:21 AM
Eric,
I came across your Tarot 680 pro video. I have a 650 sport and thinking about building the 680 pro next. Do you have any photos you can share of your setup? I really like what I seen. Would be interested in any feedback you have on it.

Jason Haab
Last edited by jhaab; Sep 18, 2017 at 07:34 AM.
Sep 12, 2017, 12:05 PM
Hi Jason,

Here is a pic of the topside and this is a link
to the 3D printed designs for the build.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2059234

regards
Eric