Jan 20, 2017, 05:42 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

converted toy hovercraft

There was one of these:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...277279754.html

at the local thrift store - no transmitter.

When I took it apart I found the lift motor had been mounted with a wire routed incorrectly. The impeller canted over and rubbed, and the wire got cut by the motor can edge.

All the motors were the same brushed variety.

I replaced the lift motor with one from a Eyeone Extreme quad - it has a cylinder mount which was good, it allowed for an adjustement in impeller clerance. It also happened to have a shaft that matched the brass bit of hex the impeller is driven by. A bit tedious to set, assemble, measure, disassemble, re-set, etcetera - but a simple mount to construct.

The thrust motors are 1804 2000kv. I don't know what the Eyeone motor is but it's a similar size.

The thrust motors are just bolted to the end plates of the existing motor mounts. The escs for the thrust motors are ziptied to a bit of flat poly at the back right now but I may move them to the existing motor mounts, just in front of the props.

Here's what it can do now:

http://sendvid.com/b0ocw6aq

and here are some photos:

In the video it has three 500mah in series. I put it in the bath and it was very tail heavy so there will probably be a much bigger battery in it. The shell has a large space below the flat deck that everything is sitting on.

I made a transmitter mix so that (Mode 2 transmitter) the left stick is for the lift impeller, and the two thrust motors are controlled by the right stick. In neutral, moving the stick to the left makes the left motor go backwards and the right forwards, and vice versa - and pushing the stick forwards or backwards add a general forward or backward component to both motors. One motor and prop are RH, the other LH, so the torque balances out.

It weighs about 800g without a battery. It lifts off linoleum at about 30% throttle. The thust motors are barely going at all in the video - it would probably pirouette three or four times faster.
Last edited by many408; Jan 20, 2017 at 05:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply