Using JR Dual Aileron and Nano Extreme mode 2 - RC Groups
Jan 19, 2017, 10:24 PM
Question

Using JR Dual Aileron and Nano Extreme mode 2

Dual setup to get differential.
In the past I have seen a reference not to do this as strange things can happen.
Just testing it seems OK with a Nano 1.4 Firmware.
Still not advisable, or is there no longer a potential problem?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2017, 09:34 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
I am not sure what you are referring to. Can you explain how you are using both receivers?
Jan 20, 2017, 08:50 PM
Yeah, not always clear.

Have set a Nano output to extreme mode 2.
JR Tx set to Dual Aileron, outputting on Ch 2 & 7.
Feeding into an X10 and channels mapped 1:1 .
This allows me to set differential.

"If X10 is used to output to 2 Servos, Ail1, Ail2 etc, dual ailerons must NOT be selected in Tx.
This may lead to a stripped servo and strange operation."

I downloaded this in 2014 along with some other notes about the X10.
Normally diff is set mechanically, but this another useful option.
So far testing seems ok.
What could go wrong?
Jan 20, 2017, 09:52 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Where did you see this written? The only thing I recommend is to not use two receivers with each reciever controlling a different aileron. There are no issues using the X10+ with any channels.
Jan 20, 2017, 11:38 PM
That Dual aileron comment was not from your site, didn't mean to infer that.
I can't recall where I found it, just at that stage I was collecting bits and pieces which I considered handy to keep.
But your comment about using separate Rx's for each Aileron is new to me, and means I will be changing a set up I did early in the piece pronto, even though it has been working fine.
That goes in my notes for sure.
Thanks Jim.
Jun 20, 2017, 11:31 PM
Hi Jim, I see that you do NOT recommend using two receivers for two different ailerons. I recently lost two airplanes when using a Futabe 9C transmitter with Xtream Link module and using Nano receivers. They both seemed to lose signal from the transmitter while the airplane was positioned in line with the antennas pointing to the transmitter. I was considering a future airplane with the controls of the airplane split between two Nanos orientated 90 degrees to each other (one with horizontal antennas and the other with vertical antennas) I was going to wire one aileron and one half of the stabilizer to each receiver. I had not decided what to do with the throttle and rudder yet. Please explain your comments. Thank you.
Jun 21, 2017, 07:45 AM
Build more, websurf less
I'm not Jim, but I have some experience with using dual receivers. I set up a Four Star 120 with two Nanos. One Nano controlled the four wing servos to operate ailerons and flaps and was installed inside the wing. The second Nano was installed in the fuse and controlled elevator, rudder and throttle. The only connection required when putting the wing on the plane in the field was a battery cable to the wing. Nice, and it worked flawlessly.

Since I am enthusiastic about changing things and having the best possible setup I eventually replaced the original Nanos with an X10+ and an RFU. The RFU has two antenna elements which can be positioned 90 degrees apart to get the best reception in any orientation. I power the X10+, RFU and servos with a 2-cell A123 receiver pack. I got an ElectroDynamics One-Clik multi-connector that gives four servo extensions in one cable harness so that I only have to make one connection between the wings and fuse.

This is the Cadillac of setups.
Jun 21, 2017, 10:39 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Even if you had the tips of the antenna wires pointing directly inline with transmitter antenna, you should not be experiencing any type of range issue. The basic movement of the aircraft as well as yourself just holding the transmitter provides enough spacial diversity to get data through. It's extremely difficult to deliberately cause any significant reduction in range with a control setup (stationary test stands). So, I would look to something else for a cause of loss of signal. When this occurred, did you happen to look at the LED on the transmitter module? 9C transmitters are notorious for having module pins that had poor soldering from the factory, and it's common that with simple temperature change and/or flexing of the 9C plastic enclosure that module pins disconnect from the PCB. If the pin that disconnects is power, ground, or signal, then the receiver would lose signal and go into failsafe. How do you have your failsafe's programmed? Were you able to see the LED on the receiver after the crash? What were the results of an actual range test? Maybe there is a transmitter module or antenna issue?