Phoenix Westland Lysander 1/8 scale EP/GP ARF - RC Groups
Jan 19, 2017, 04:46 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Build Log

Phoenix Westland Lysander 1/8 scale EP/GP ARF

Tower announced last November or so that they were going to bring in the Phoenix Models Westland Lysander in 1/8th scale "46" size. Many of us jumped on the pre-order right away and lo and behold.... Mine showed up on my door step last night! http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGJTA&P=ML

Yeah I know.... before I get flamed, the other threads are misleading and were, I think, meant for the larger 1/5scale that Phoenix also makes. However, that is NOT the one Tower sells and I feel anybody looking for info on this smaller scale kit would find it easier if the thread was properly titled.

There's been some discussion in other threads about the non scale landing gear which is a defining feature of the Lysander. I found that Traplet has a slightly smaller 1:8.57 scale plan in which they sell a fiberglass wheel pants for. I got 'em in and they look damn good. They are in halves so there will be some construction involved. http://gb.trapletshop.com/westland-lysander-fg-spats

As soon as I got the kit unpacked I put the landing gear legs on and started taking measurements on it as well as with the Traplet plan. As soon as I can finalize as set of measurements I'll order a new landing gear from Abell R/C. http://www.abellhobby.com/CUSTOM-p/custom.htm - I found these guys after being royally screwed over by TNT Abell R/C has come through with several gear for me in the past that were an exact fit to my measurements, and a little cheaper, not to mention much, much faster that TNT.

I'll post more details and pics as soon as I get done editing them. EDIT: added box opening pics.

In the mean time, I plan on repainting mine in a Desert Scheme and have ordered some paint from Warbird Colors. I'm a little apprehensive of painting plastic covering but I'm not that motivated to pull the covering and redo it at this time. On the other hand, the plain Jane silver scheme is not very appealing so something need to be done. Which brings up another point, the covering is fantastic on this thing. Not a wrinkle anywhere I've found so far so that eases my mind a little. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Mike
Last edited by CryHavoc; Jan 19, 2017 at 06:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2017, 04:47 PM
Reserved.
Jan 19, 2017, 05:22 PM
Arrowhead
Watching with interest! Really love the Lysander, and wish I could like the Phoenix model... but that landing gear! Looking forward to seeing your fix. Maybe it'll inspire me.

Btw, sorry to hear about your issues with TNT. I dealt with them last year, for the first & last time. According to them, my shipment got lost in the mail... twice! At least the "third" time I finally got it.
Jan 19, 2017, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
Watching with interest! Really love the Lysander, and wish I could like the Phoenix model... but that landing gear! Looking forward to seeing your fix. Maybe it'll inspire me.

Btw, sorry to hear about your issues with TNT. I dealt with them last year, for the first & last time. According to them, my shipment got lost in the mail... twice! At least the "third" time I finally got it.
Wow... that's the same thing that happened to me except they blew me off and told me to pound sand, they wouldn't send me another one. Unfortunately, by the time I got strung along it was too late to reverse the charge.

I've got he pics done so it'll give you an idea of how I'm going to fix the gear issue.

Mike
Last edited by CryHavoc; Jan 19, 2017 at 06:30 PM.
Jan 19, 2017, 06:07 PM
So many planes, so little time
Brown Santa stopped by my house this afternoon with a big box.

Everything looks safe and sound - Phoenix usually does a pretty good job of packaging. The only thing that surprised me while surveying the contents was the long, thin wings (narrow cord). They just seem too skimpy to support that big, fat, beautiful fuselage!

One thing's for sure - it's not going to be a "floater."

I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone is using for components.

Jan 19, 2017, 06:11 PM
So after I got the kit unpacked I got the gear on. I wanted to get an idea of the measurements for the new gear legs. I figured from the wheel axle to the thrustline would be a good start so I could determine scale height. Now, I'm going off the Traplet plan for "scaleness" as I don't have time to make a CAD drawing of the three views to take measurements from. Besides, this will be a "that-looks-about-scale-enough" build.

Unfortunately, you can see how the wheel pants mount on the Traplet plan. It requires a long down leg on the landing gear which the Phoenix doesn't have and I doubt re-bending them will fix it. So... time to work up some new measurements for new Lgear.

The Traplet plan is 1:8.57 scale and this kit is 1:8. The plan is smaller by a smidge so the difference is 8.57/8 = 1.07125 . So anything I measure off the plan I times by 1.07125 and transfer that measurement to the kit parts. Sounds good on paper anyway so I measured the distance between the landing gear down legs off the plan and got 11.875" x 1.07125 = 12.7211". I then measured the distance on the Phoenix kit and it was 12.75"... close enough!!! So over the course of the next couple days as I get more time to work on it, I'll work up the new gear measurements to send to Abell R/C.

BTW... the stock gear is white instead of silver like the rest of the plane.... Another reason to do something about the gear. At minimum a repaint is necessary.

Mike
Jan 19, 2017, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMA82
Brown Santa stopped by my house this afternoon with a big box.

Everything looks safe and sound - Phoenix usually does a pretty good job of packaging. The only thing that surprised me while surveying the contents was the long, thin wings (narrow cord). They just seem too skimpy to support that big, fat, beautiful fuselage!

One thing's for sure - it's not going to be a "floater."

I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone is using for components.

Nice! I think many across the land are gonna be happy tonight and the next few days!

Yeah it'll be interesting, but the video looks like it flys just fine so.... I'm planning to use an older HB .61 I have. I waffled a bit at first but its an older model with about the same power and weight as the OS .55 this is designed around and I can always put something different in if isn't going to work. Besides, the torque of the larger displacement will let me swing a larger slower prop.

Mike
Jan 19, 2017, 06:54 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Hey Mike thanks for posting and doing so much ground work ! I thought you were going electric for some reason , I must be thinking of someone else.
My UPS said " you have a package coming lol, that was yesterday for today and its 6:51 EST so I doubt they will be coming today. I am thinking that someone else got a nice gift and is going too keep it lol !
As far as flying I have been watching a ton of videos on this plane and yes ,,,it's not a floater unless the flaps and spoilers are deployed. As we all know we don't have flaps and spoilers !
Mike when your done the gear I hope you don't mind if we copy your process, imitation is the best form of flattery.
Jan 19, 2017, 07:34 PM
I'm planning on going electric - it's all I do.

For this bird I'm looking at using a motor I bought a year or so ago, but ended up not using. It's a Leopard Motors LC5055/10T at 400 kv. It was sold as a 46 equivalent, but it seems a little beefier to me. Here is the webpage with specs:

http://www.leopardhobby.com/html/en/...150921/88.html

With a 15x8 prop on 6S, it should produce up to 1121 watts. With a plane weight of 8 lbs, that gives me 140 watts/pound. I know I shouldn't need more than 800 watts, but I always like a little extra for the "Oh crap" emergency power I sometimes need.

Anyone have information about the correct "scale -size" prop? All of the full-size pictures I've seen have been with a 3-blade prop.

Jan 19, 2017, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
As far as flying I have been watching a ton of videos on this plane and yes ,,,it's not a floater unless the flaps and spoilers are deployed. As we all know we don't have flaps and spoilers !
Mike when your done the gear I hope you don't mind if we copy your process, imitation is the best form of flattery.
Yeah, I'm not adverse to electric but I have this engine and I'm dying to use it.

Can't wait to see how you handle adding flaps. I may follow suit later on. If my gear mod works out anyone is welcome to it. That's what these forums are for right? As soon as I settle on the measurements for the new gear I'll post 'em if anybody else wants to try the same.

Oh BTW.... Did you notice on the Traplet plan that the spinner does ride on the front of the prop??? Strange. I'll tackle modifying a spinner like we talked about in the other thread after everything else.

Mike
Jan 19, 2017, 07:56 PM
Here's a forum with a series of pictures of the full-size plane - for future reference:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/i...ii-v9367-ma-b/

Jan 20, 2017, 02:27 PM
Arrowhead
For anyone interested, there is a walk-around of a Lizzie available from the Modeler's Reference website, link below:

https://www.modelers-reference.com/d...-mk-iii-n7791/

Just something I stumbled across. Haven't actually seen their products before.

Mike, looking at your unboxing pics, there's actually a lot about this ARF that I like. They got the cowl right, for one (unlike the big Seagull one that is too long and lacks the fairings to accommodate the large radial engine). Second, that canopy looks good & sturdy; I wondered how they'd support the wings... looks like it'll do the job fine.

My only new quibble is the included pilot is too big. He makes it look like the Lysander was a Cub-sized plane!

The Traplet planes are accurate regarding the spinner. On the full size, it does sit in front of the prop - kinda like the stuck-on spinners we see on a lot of micros.
Jan 20, 2017, 04:08 PM
USMA82 and CF105, Nice scale links! Don't know if I'll have time to do much intricate scale stuff but I'm sure the references will help others. Thanks.

CF105,
I never really noticed the big pilot but your right.... Kinda makes the plane look like an homebuilt kit plane of some sort. I'll have to take a look at how hard it will be to remove and replace him.

What I did notice is all the masking that will need to be done for the repaint ..... Not really looking forward to that.

Mike
Last edited by CryHavoc; Jan 20, 2017 at 04:24 PM.
Jan 20, 2017, 04:18 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Thanks Mike, and everyone , all good stuff ! Mine is still on UPS set to deliver "end of day" ummmm ok we will see lol !! I think its like the Arnold movie , I will get the plane at "End Of Days" .
Mike thanks for the help on the gear.
My plan ( idea ) on the flaps is to remove the covering in the area of the proposed flaps. Build a new trailing edge approx 1" forward of the existing trailing edge. Remove nothing as far as wood until I have the new traling edge in place. Then glue the leading edge of the new flaps to existing ribs at the trailing edge( carefully ) not glueing the new flap leading edge to the new trailing edge.
Then with a thin saw will cut away the flap with all of the ribs in the proper place.
Obviously I have to add supports for the hindges, servo box ect.
All of this is speculation because I wont know what I am actually dealing with until I get the plane.
I anxious to see if my FMS 1700 MM pilots look appropriate in this plane. I have two of them and being inexpensive I am hoping they work.
Jan 20, 2017, 04:27 PM
Hope you get it today LDM!

I've been scuffing the covering with a green scrubby pad in preparation for new paint. Every time I walk by it I scuff a little bit. Anybody know how long it takes for Warbird Colors to deliver?

Mike