The Boatbuilding Tools, and "Boat Shop" Build Thread! - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 24, 2017, 12:26 AM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Before going in too far, check with your local building inspector!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2017, 07:14 AM
the printer was a craigs list find... 2-300 bucks. I've had it for about 6years. I actually think Its paid for itself. figure ever trip to the copy center will set you back 25 buck per plot. plus the travel time. God forbid you screw up your scale...
Jan 24, 2017, 07:42 AM
24x25 inside dimensions 9 foot ceiling.
One wall is a 10' bench the rest is floor to ceiling shelving.
The other wall is stationary power tools, Band saw, 10" table saw, combo belt sander, compressor, drill press and a big shop vac that runs the dust collection system.
During the winter one corner is stacked with sail bags and other assorted big boat stuff. rest of the time it's all open space except one jack post in the middle suporting a steel beam.
Heated for the winter. Would love AC but selling this place in a year and a half.
Between electric, nitro and sailboats there is about 20 boats in there, 3 rc planes a heli and 2 1/2 rc cars. Currently 3 boat projects on the go, scale lobster boat, a 1/10 miss wahoo hydro in electric and a Whiplash hydro that I can't decide if I'm going nitro or electric with.
After that will be one of those 120cm full keeled americas cup boats from Claudios plans.
Jan 24, 2017, 08:28 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
A gotta have luxury,!! A cold fridge for the refreshments on break time from workin like a beaver in there n with NO plumbing planned, then a tree out back in a dark spot to relive same said "refreshments" later,!! From Seminar: Works For Me,... University of Hard Knocks (UHK)!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Jan 24, 2017, 11:34 PM
Bbbp, as soon as I come to some decisions on the size and draw up the floor plan, we go talk to the inspector with rough blueprints. Not taking ANY chances there. I have a contractor friend helping me out on that part. He will be answering any technical questions asked, and also translating things back to me so I can draw up final blueprints. That part shouldn't be too bad, but it can get stopped here by the inspector. If they insist on a slab pour (doubtful), it could kill the project. We think they are just going to require footers, just not sure how many. Once it is determined what the inspector wants, and that is perhaps weighed against a couple size options, I can price them out and make final decisions.

So the next stage is to do a couple more detailed floor plans, and maybe another modified exterior. I am finally back to work tomorrow. Not sure if I will have my normal Thursday off. If so, might try to get the drawings ready to take in on Thursday.

I am REALLY leaning towards doing the 15x10 shop. Sure, I could go bigger. But I am going up already, and don't want it to overpower the back yard like the current sheds do.

Sibe, your shop sounds pretty awesome! Would love to see pictures! Do you find the 9' ceiling tall enough to work on a rigged boat? And if so, what is the largest sized boats you build? 120cm is 47"...

I plan on insulating it so that AC and heat can easily be done. There is an AC/heater window combo at Home Depot. I can't seem to find any online cheap enough to be worthwhile. I am cool with $130-150 for an ac unit. I would pay up to $200 for one with heat, but don't think that will happen... Another possibility is to spend a little more and get a portable stand up unit. That would give options for those times out main unit fails us. Sadly that happens a bit too often... Honestly, heat can be handled by an oil radiator or two. Only need that for a few weeks out of the year here in Florida.

I wonder how much louder a floor unit would be over a window one? A 500btu window unit is $130. But I think I am going to need to go bigger to compensate for possibly poor insulation and high ceilings. One of those portable ones will be about $300 new, or $150-200 Craigslist.

We shall see on the printer! I cam across a 44" supposedly for free pickup, but it is an hour away from me. I do think I could make use of one.
Jan 24, 2017, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by haxawsnavy
A gotta have luxury,!! A cold fridge for the refreshments on break time from workin like a beaver in there n with NO plumbing planned, then a tree out back in a dark spot to relive same said "refreshments" later,!! From Seminar: Works For Me,... University of Hard Knocks (UHK)!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Lol well fridge is a necessity to keep the CA and epoxy cold, duh! And there is the perfect hidden spot right behind the shed, tree also.
Jan 25, 2017, 06:32 AM
LOL digital camera went with the last girlfriend and havn't gotten around to buying another, my cell phone is an antique with no camera that barely texts, NOT a smart phone.
Got a nice collection of film cameras though! Leica, Nikon...Real usefull today, can you even get film developed anymore?
So far all I've done sailboat wise is RG's, with the keel and rig removed I can keep a pair of them on my big boat for for playing at anchor, soon as a couple projects are done I'm going to build Columbia @ 120 cm long.
So far no problems with headroom, I prefer to work sitting down so the bench is lower than "normal". Office chair lets me roll around from spot to spot without getting up!
Personally I would build as big as you can afford, each time I've moved the shop has gotten bigger.
I had planned to build a new tender for my boat in there this winter but work got in the way. Just a cheap plywood stitch and tape job, semi custom to fit on the foredeck. UV has just about killed the old inflatable.
Last edited by Sibe; Jan 25, 2017 at 06:34 AM. Reason: spelling error
Jan 25, 2017, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibe
...Got a nice collection of film cameras though! Leica, Nikon...Real usefull today, can you even get film developed anymore?...
Nope, useless. Film is dead.... PM me your PayPal and I will send you some money to ship that horrible Leica my way though. Least I can do to help out...

Yeah I am drawing up the plans tonight to go 15x10. I need to seriously think about the ceiling height though. I do think I can go a bit lower. Maybe 2 feet in the front, and perhaps just one foot in the rear. It will perhaps look a little more balanced, and less likely to cause concern from the inspector. Still "accidentally" leaving that dimension off the drawing.
Jan 25, 2017, 02:02 PM
LOL I know what they are worth, I have a IIIG and an M4, have the original packaging and documentation for the M4.
I still have all my darkroom equipment and do know I can still get chemicals to process B&W film and paper.
Nikon realeased a body I'm interested in kind of a retro body DSLR that can use the old manual line of full frame Nikkor lenses. The Nikon DF DSLR. Problem is the price!
Jan 25, 2017, 04:13 PM
W Kuhns

My shop is far from pretty but it works

Btw bggs here is how I stor round stock. Dowels metal or anything like it. It works well and you can see everything you have at a glance
Jan 25, 2017, 04:42 PM
W Kuhns

Again here is the mess.

Behind the green curtain is my table saw and array of hand power tools behind the blue curtain is my sons lego shop approx 12x12. M messy area is approx 21 x 16. The rest of the garage which consists of two full car bays and another room with a flat roof which is approx 16x16. The shop pics you see will be no longer soon. Everything pictured will be sold except for a few tools that I use all the time. The drill press looks funny in the back because I tack welded an extension on the tube to accommodate the milling vise. The lathe might go the mechanics tools no way. Everything else pretty sure. Someone is going to get a good deal. My garage right now never has those tarps up except for winter. It helps keep the work area warm. I heat with either a wood stove under those tires pictured or a salamander. Which i use pretty much all the time. I could not afford to by wood this year nor can my body lift the wood all the time. Its a shame its a mess again I clean it every three days lol really I do.
Last edited by BillKuhn; Jan 25, 2017 at 06:32 PM. Reason: typos
Jan 25, 2017, 04:52 PM
W Kuhns
Oh one more thig the cielings are 15 feet tall. That helps alot with a shop and you can never have enough lights I think I have at least 10 or more and some with magnifiers. And my beer cooler is the floor near the doir lol. It stays around 32 degrees in wintwr and summer I just use a fridge
Jan 26, 2017, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibe
LOL I know what they are worth, ...
Hehe then you defiantly can't blame me for the attempt! The missus knows to snatch up any Leicas she spies in her garage sale outings at just about ANY PRICE. And she finds me gems frequently. Like a 120 format Seagull, for $10!!!!!

I have maybe 5x 35mm cameras. My prized one is a Yachica GSN Rangefinder, the all black one. I also have 3 medium format 120 cameras. One is converted to run 35mm film. Another is actually loaded with 120 right now (the Seagull). A bunch of random cameras, including a Poloriad.

And then my digital cameras. I mainly shoot with "Baby Leicas" as I like to call them. A lumix GF1, GF2 and a G3. The missus has a GF3. Panasonic and Leica have a very long history, including making many cameras for each other.

Believe it or not, Walgreens still processes 35mm film. Overnight. I loved the darkroom aspect, it is what got me into photography. But it is... Yeah it is what it is. But what got me back, was the "digital darkroom" and the fact I can do so so much more with a MacBook than I ever could in the darkroom. But digital is missing that analog trepidation for sure that gives it the extra kick.

Anyways, photography has been a passion of mine for, well decades lol. I would love some legacy Nikkor glass... But I wouldn't do it justice. I think the only film camera I would keep in my bag at all times and actually use religiously, would be an M4. Perhaps a slightly newer M5. But once that analog purity is lost, the newer digital ones are mostly just overpriced status hipster symbols.

Although it would be glorious to use an M8, with a Holga lens... I have issues.
Jan 26, 2017, 01:16 AM
Thanks for that wonderful distraction Sibe!

And back to our regular programming haha! Ugh, I am supposed to go talk to the inspector tomorrow. And I haven't gotten the new drawings or floor plan done up yet. But the floorpan will only take a few minutes anyways. I also have other errands that might take priority too.

Fifteen feet is pretty tall! Defiantly not running out of mast room in there anytime soon! I think the front is going to be 11, and the back 8. But I do need to take some time to fiddle with the heights, and measure it out. In my case, height may be a bigger limiting factor than footprint size. 7.5x10 is the VERY smallest I will go. Without the second screen house or studio next to it, would look out of proportion for sure. 10x10 doesn't necessarily get me a whole lot, except better visual proportions and a touch more space. But 15x10 I am thinking will be ideal.
Jan 27, 2017, 12:17 AM
So I got the Delta Belt sander for $28... All three belts came apart as soon as I put tension on them. Flex shaft never even taken out of package. But... The tensioner tracking assembly was bent. So I disassembled the whole thing and went to straighten it. Snapped in half. After much hunting, tracked down a part number: 1341634 Nobody seems to have one. Or at least not one for Delta...

Huh? Well it seems that this nice vintage 1987 31-050 belt sander's castings were bought by the Chinese, once Delta made it obsolete. Suddenly there are multiple companies re-badging this belt sander. Like Harbor Freight. But $43 is a lot to spend when I only need ONE little replacement part. I contacted a couple other places selling these guys to see if they would sell me just that part. We shall see.

The part is cast, so welding it is not likely to happen. Or at least not for less than buying a HF version for parts.

Kinda annoyed about the belts coming apart. But HF sells replacement belts cheap. And these 1x30 belts seem commonly available elsewhere too. I found a tutorial on re-gluing them too.

No progress on the shop drawings yet. I have been a bit under the weather today. So I didn't make it out to talk to the inspector either.

Quick Reply