DARPA Cardboard Nurflugel - RC Groups
Jan 18, 2017, 11:12 PM
Discussion

DARPA Cardboard Nurflugel

Came across this article today on the NewAtlas website. A cardboard, biodegradeable "delivery drone" ... it's really an autonomous flying wing glider.

The build quality seems a bit rough, not sure what the constraints are on the design that may cause this. For example the leading edge appears to be square and not round.

Pretty neat concept though ... maybe it would be fun to have a cardboard nurflugel cookup ...?

-Dave
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2017, 11:58 AM
You know nothing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_n_Dave
Came across this article today on the NewAtlas website. A cardboard, biodegradeable "delivery drone" ... it's really an autonomous flying wing glider.

The build quality seems a bit rough, not sure what the constraints are on the design that may cause this. For example the leading edge appears to be square and not round.

Pretty neat concept though ... maybe it would be fun to have a cardboard nurflugel cookup ...?

-Dave
Neat!From the height of the drop I'd guess aerodynamics aren't all that crucial,as long as it can reach its destination.
There's a guy on S/B ducted fans building a card aircraft,so not out of the question,so long as a 'normal'spar system is allowed.
Jan 19, 2017, 06:47 PM
Vertical "grain" corrugated cardboard should make a decent shear web between the top and bottom surfaces. Keep it pure trashcan, man.
Ed
Jan 23, 2017, 02:33 PM
With the capability to land in controlled point, it seems like a good candidate for this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_...hed_from_space

These sharp, angular shapes might be aerodynamically beneficial at hypersonic speeds
Jan 23, 2017, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidz90
Ooooohhh!

That's cool! A flotilla of space-launched flying wings!

-Dave
Mar 23, 2017, 08:27 AM
I've started building a cardboard nurflugel, 20 degree sweep (at the quarter chord), about 10" chord with no taper, 2m span, 5 deg of washout at the tip ("linear twist").

I cut the bottom skins last week, this morning I measured the mass of both panels (remember these are just the bottom wing skins) ... 395g. It's "double-walled" cardboard, so I need to use the single-thickness stuff in order to get a reasonable wing loading.

More later.

-Dave