May 16, 2017, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLaser03
No reply yet, I have sent an email to you. Thanks for your help.
Did I reply to you? Its a bit hard to tell at times switching between here and email
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2017, 10:23 PM
Sailor and Radio Ham
Thread OP
No, I have not seen anything.
May 19, 2017, 05:06 AM
If you are still having the issue send me an email at [email protected]

Quote:
No, I have not seen anything.
Jun 13, 2017, 12:51 PM
Sailor and Radio Ham
Thread OP

This issue may damage models!

Still no response from anyone for previous issues.

But I found another issue yesterday which scared the %&# out of me!

I set up the i6X for a new model for an old GR3F AFHDS receiver in a sailboat. Chan 1 is rudder, Chan 3 is the sail sheet line. I bound (binded?) the receiver, changed the transmitter mode, and things work fine.

So, before I sent the boat out I wanted to see what happens when there is loss of signal. I did this by turning the i6X off. Things are good. I have fail safes set to do nothing and that is what happens. Fine.

Then I turned the i6X back on. The rudder servo spun totally clockwise, twisting the control arms. The sheet line went way beyond the set endpoint and kept pulling on the sheet line stressing the deck fittings and straining the servo. As quickly as I could, while in a panic, I turned off power on the boat.

I then realized that the i6X was sounding the alarm because the throttle stick was not in the down position. I then pulled it back to the down position, silencing the alarm/warning. Then I built up the courage to turn on the boat again and everything went to normal position.

So I had to try this again, because that is what hobbyist do. First I disconnected the rudder control arms and sheet control lines to protect the model. I tried the experiment again and got same results. I then tried again, but this time put the throttle in “down” position before turning the i6X on again, and the boat recovered normally, including moving the sheet servo to the “in” position.

Conclusion: the i6X is sending out bad commands to the AFHDS receiver after power-up but while displaying the startup Warning/Alarm. This can cause serious damage to a model, including a crash.

Why would this situation occur in the real world?
Here is one case: Quite often, if I get a LOW BATTERY warning for the i6X while the boat is on the water, I will turn off the transmitter, replace the batteries , turn on the i6X (of course forgetting to return the “throttle” to “down” position), clear the start-up warning, then get back to sailing.
I can do this with the iA10B AFHDS2 receiver with no problem and other FS AFHDS systems with no problem.

Another common cause would be if the model is turned on first and the i6X on last with the throttle or switch in the wrong position.

I consider this a serious issue which may be able to be fixed with firmware (I hope).
Jun 13, 2017, 01:41 PM
Flyin' Finn in eternal spin...
Ziisus, should I say..! I fly my Durafly Stuka with i6X and AFHDS receiver, but never tried turning on/off while some switch or throttle not in zero.

Must make a test with separate rx & servos and see what happens, as it might be as well individual fault in your unit.
Jun 13, 2017, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the info I will report it to the team so it can be investigated, are you using the latest version of the firmware?

Quote:

But I found another issue yesterday which scared the %&# out of me!

I set up the i6X for a new model for an old GR3F AFHDS receiver in a sailboat. Chan 1 is rudder, Chan 3 is the sail sheet line. I bound (binded?) the receiver, changed the transmitter mode, and things work fine.

So, before I sent the boat out I wanted to see what happens when there is loss of signal. I did this by turning the i6X off. Things are good. I have fail safes set to do nothing and that is what happens. Fine.

Then I turned the i6X back on. The rudder servo spun totally clockwise, twisting the control arms. The sheet line went way beyond the set endpoint and kept pulling on the sheet line stressing the deck fittings and straining the servo. As quickly as I could, while in a panic, I turned off power on the boat.

I then realized that the i6X was sounding the alarm because the throttle stick was not in the down position. I then pulled it back to the down position, silencing the alarm/warning. Then I built up the courage to turn on the boat again and everything went to normal position.

So I had to try this again, because that is what hobbyist do. First I disconnected the rudder control arms and sheet control lines to protect the model. I tried the experiment again and got same results. I then tried again, but this time put the throttle in “down” position before turning the i6X on again, and the boat recovered normally, including moving the sheet servo to the “in” position.

Conclusion: the i6X is sending out bad commands to the AFHDS receiver after power-up but while displaying the startup Warning/Alarm. This can cause serious damage to a model, including a crash.

Here is one case: Quite often, if I get a LOW BATTERY warning for the i6X while the boat is on the water, I will turn off the transmitter, replace the batteries , turn on the i6X (of course forgetting to return the “throttle” to “down” position), clear the start-up warning, then get back to sailing.
I can do this with the iA10B AFHDS2 receiver with no problem and other FS AFHDS systems with no problem.

Another common cause would be if the model is turned on first and the i6X on last with the throttle or switch in the wrong position.

I consider this a serious issue which may be able to be fixed with firmware (I hope).
Jun 14, 2017, 04:11 AM
Blue Skies
Quote:
, , ,

I recently bought the FS-i6, NOT the i6X. I am trying to figure out how to setup a THROTTLE CUT on the D Switch. Maybe that can be done already but I haven't figured it out. If that is possible, that would solve the problem as long as you use the switch. Of course it's the same procedure as remembering to bring the throttle to zero, i.e. remembering. But it's become habit for me on my Spektrum Tx. Can someone show me how to set this up? It's one more safety measure that might help with this situation.
Don
Jun 14, 2017, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword
I recently bought the FS-i6, NOT the i6X. I am trying to figure out how to setup a THROTTLE CUT on the D Switch. Maybe that can be done already but I haven't figured it out. If that is possible, that would solve the problem as long as you use the switch. Of course it's the same procedure as remembering to bring the throttle to zero, i.e. remembering. But it's become habit for me on my Spektrum Tx. Can someone show me how to set this up? It's one more safety measure that might help with this situation.
Don
My i6 has 10ch firmware, but as far as I remember, it's the same in stock ones:

First, go to Menu > Functions setup. Scroll to "Switches assign". Take "Thro. hold" and put it to "SwD".

Then back to menu and take to "Throttle hold". Put "Hold" On and "Value" to 0%.

Now, when switch D is engaged, throttle stays in zero. Check via display to ensure it went right.
Jun 15, 2017, 06:20 AM
Blue Skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasTeddy
My i6 has 10ch firmware, but as far as I remember, it's the same in stock ones:

First, go to Menu > Functions setup. Scroll to "Switches assign". Take "Thro. hold" and put it to "SwD".

Then back to menu and take to "Throttle hold". Put "Hold" On and "Value" to 0%.

Now, when switch D is engaged, throttle stays in zero. Check via display to ensure it went right.
Thanks GT. That works on the display. I don't have a quad ready to test it on but I will, with props off when I can. If this works as advertised, I will enable it on all my models as a 2nd way to ensure no accidently takeoffs or spinning blades. Thanks again.
Don
Last edited by hifinsword; Jun 15, 2017 at 06:26 AM.
Jul 09, 2017, 06:41 AM
Quote:

But I found another issue yesterday which scared the %&# out of me!.
I tried and tested this misbehavior of yours with my Art-Tech Stuka and i6X & Turnigy 8ch AFHDS receiver. It does it in my case with ch 6, flaps, if I turn power back on and switches & throttle are not in zero. Flaps go down and starboard one, which has signal reverser, starts oscillating. Switches and throttle to zero and it stops immediately.

I thought Tx shouldn't send any signal, when turning on with switches in wrong position, but it seems to do it. But in a case of signal loss, it should not happen; transmitter keeps on sending, it's just the Rx, which has been wandering too far and cannot pick the signal.

In my failsafe, flaps come down 50%, rudder goes 10% to board, gyro to autolevel and engine naturally stops with ESC beeping "here I am". Because of rudder, there's a probability that plane comes back to the range and picks up the signal. In that case, if it misbehaves, the problem in in Rx, not Tx. That I haven't tested yet, as the range seems to be beyond my eyesight.
Jul 09, 2017, 06:12 PM
Sailor and Radio Ham
Thread OP
I have not explored what the problem really is, but I hope FlySky will do some testing. My gues is when the receiver re-acquires the signal, it will cause the servos to respond to the commands of the transmitter signals. My GUESS is the i6X is sending bad commands until the warning is cleared.

The only way to test is to attenuate the signal until the link is lost then bring it back.
Jul 10, 2017, 02:10 AM
Quote:
I have not explored what the problem really is, but I hope FlySky will do some testing. My gues is when the receiver re-acquires the signal, it will cause the servos to respond to the commands of the transmitter signals. My GUESS is the i6X is sending bad commands until the warning is cleared.

The only way to test is to attenuate the signal until the link is lost then bring it back.
Yes, it must be either the Rx misbehaving when it re-picks the signal or Tx sending weird signal, when started switches in wrong position. I will try to do the signal lost test with the unit I have in Finland, as I'm going there tomorrow for one month vacation. If visiting relatives can be called a vacation...

Or in August, when I'm back in Stukageschwader's secret skunk work base.
Jul 10, 2017, 08:26 PM
Sailor and Radio Ham
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySkyRC
Thanks for the info I will report it to the team so it can be investigated, are you using the latest version of the firmware?
The i6X has Ver 1.0 01-Jul-2016. I do not know what the latest version is.
Jul 10, 2017, 09:27 PM
Sailor and Radio Ham
Thread OP
I did more experimenting today. This time I used a spare HiTec HS-311 servo alone on Chan 3 to prevent damage to a model. The i6X was set for no reverse for Chan 3 and end points 100%.

Using a GR3F:
Under normal control - When throttle (Chan 3) was down the servo is about 45 deg CCW off center, throttle up, it is about 45 deg CW off center.
With the GR3F powered and then turning on the i6X with a switch in the wrong position or the throttle not down, hence the power-up warning - the servo spins fully CCW about 120 deg off center until the warning is cleared.

Using a GR3E:
Under normal control - When throttle (Chan 3) was down the servo is about 45 deg CCW off center, throttle up, it is about 45 deg CW off center.
With the GR3E powered and then turning on the i6X with a switch in the wrong position or the throttle not down, hence the power-up warning - the servo steps CW about 30 deg per second until fully CW or until the warning is cleared.

I performed the same experiments with my i6 and had no issue. The servo stayed in place until the warning is cleared and it moved to 45 deg CCW as expected.

So be sure to turn the i6X on before the receiver if using AFHDS.
Last edited by RCLaser03; Jul 11, 2017 at 10:15 AM.
Jul 11, 2017, 01:40 AM
Whats the status of update?

Quick Reply