Jun 01, 2017, 01:05 PM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Fiz
Well I got her in the air yesterday and I was not disappointed, it flies as good as it looks and it looks spectacular in the air, fast low fly-bys are a thing of beauty!
It is super stable in all orientations, really stable at slow and fast speeds only area where it didn't excel was in a knife edge where it takes a little bit of fine corrections to keep it rock solid. Although I did get a number of KE's all the way down the field in position you have to stay on it as it just feels a bit lose in that orientation. Not sure as someone mentioned earlier that it may be the upturned and very sexy wingtips. I'll take them off for a flight next weekend.

Did I mention how good it looks in the air. I had a clear blue sky day and it really pops in the sun and it looks like the real deal flying buy and just so stable it is like it already has a high quality gyro in it. I was going to put in a Bavarian Demon, but it just doesn't need it.

CG is marked inside the fuse (as are all Pilot RC Planes) and it was just a tad nose heavy with a full fuel tank, so I moved the fuel tank back a bit and it was perfect. It is also one of the easiest landing planes I have flown. just comes in nice and slow and still stable. I just flew it to about 3 foot off the deck, eased off the throttle and it descended slowly and greased the strip.

The Evolution 33 GT was tons of power. I had one that has been nicely run in so it was at full power straight off.

This is a definite Keeper!

Cheers,
Phil
Congrats for your maiden Phil.

Finally got her maidened yesterday. Maidenflight was rather unspectacular. Which is always nice. The Edge 540 tracks very well with authority on all surfaces. Absolutely no bad habits. Also in final approach she´s very stable and lands like a trainer. The orange Hamilton scheme pops really out from the sky and with the winglets she draws nice lines. Low fly by´s are amazing. The DLE 30 with the 19x8 Falcon Prop has enough power for unlimited verticals but I am missing a bit top speed. For an Air Race plane more without race. Will try a 18x10 or 12 for more pitch speed as I am flying precision aerobatics mostly so I can give up a bit static thrust.

Conclusion

Nice plane with an excellent build quality and hardware kit. The watch decal on the rudder and wing is quite a bit sensitive and peels of in some occasions. Also my wing tubes of the stabs had a bit to much play for my taste. But easy to fix with a thin layer of clear tape.
I had the DLE 30 on the desk already. If I had to buy a new engine I would rather go with the 35 cc for a bit extra power.

Setup

DLE 30, 19x8 Falcon Prop and KS Canister (7800 RPM)
AUW (dry) 6500g

Control throws
15° aileron and elevator 30% expo
25° Rudder 50 expo

CoG 120 mm from LE

Cheers
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2017, 07:39 PM
Well done on the maiden!

I had another 6 flights on it yesterday, 3 with wingtips, 3 without wingtips. Observations;

It looks better with the wing tips

It is more stable at high speed with the wing tips, but its marginal as its still super stable at speed without them

It knife edges WAAAY better without the wing tips.

It is more acrobatically capable and flies 3D better without the wing tips

It still looks great without the wingtips.

I think mine are going to be off for the majority of the time...

Cheers,
Phil
Jun 24, 2017, 07:39 AM
get your drive right...!
Hi,
does somebody has the weight of the kit (parts)? .... looking for ultimate electric power

cheers
Markus
Jun 25, 2017, 10:17 AM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eCalc
Hi,
does somebody has the weight of the kit (parts)? .... looking for ultimate electric power

cheers
Markus
Hi Markus

Unfortunately I didn´t take all the weights of the parts. Mine ends up at 6500g AUW dry. When I take out all my components the frame is approx 4100g include hardware as horns and linkages. Hope this helps. You also could get in touch with Tony from Pilot for assistance. He is quite supportive. Please find his email address below

[email protected]

BTW I like ECALC, you are doing an excellent job on that!!

Cheers
Joerg
Jun 26, 2017, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eCalc
Hi,

cheers
Markus
I would get one of the Extreme Flight 35cc electric motors, the new XPWR Motors. Here is a link to the Australian one, in AUD remember (so @US$290;
https://www.desertaircraft.com.au/sh...5cc-motor.html
Designed just for this size plane. I'm sure EF in the US has them. I have a smaller one in a smaller aircraft and it is just steller in performance!

Cheers,
Phil
Jun 29, 2017, 12:57 PM
Is there any info. or thread on the 22% 67" Edge Hamilton.
Jun 29, 2017, 05:21 PM
Oh...that's gonna leave a mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
I just saw that they are coming out with the Edge. I bet it's gonna be a sweet fly.
Kurt.
Jun 29, 2017, 06:09 PM
It's coming out in August.
They're taking orders now.
Jun 29, 2017, 06:28 PM
big ignore list/drama is dumb
Quote:
Quote:
It's coming out in August.
They're taking orders now.
I've been trying to find a dealer ever since I saw this electric version months back!
looks like an awesome machine
Jun 29, 2017, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55
I've been trying to find a dealer ever since I saw this electric version months back!
looks like an awesome machine
Chief Aircraft is taking orders for it.
I'm trying to find the Pilot RC motor, ESC package. Chief doesn't stock it.
I sent an email to Pilot asking where I can buy the package in the US.
Jun 29, 2017, 06:47 PM
big ignore list/drama is dumb
Quote:
Chief Aircraft is taking orders for it.
I'm trying to find the Pilot RC motor, ESC package. Chief doesn't stock it.
I sent an email to Pilot asking where I can buy the package in the US.
yeah I want to order one up with the complete package
Jul 12, 2017, 08:40 PM
subbed. I want one of the new Printed schemes!
Jul 13, 2017, 11:43 AM
I have the 67" Hamilton on order from Chief.
No one in the US stocks the electric motor kit.
I ordered it directly from Tony at Pilot-RC.

The plane is scheduled to be shipped at the end of August.
Jul 13, 2017, 12:39 PM
I ordered the electric motor kit from Pilot-RC on 7/8, and it arrived today 7/13, in San Diego.
5 days from China. Not bad.
Jul 13, 2017, 12:52 PM
How bad were the shipping charges? I wanted to order some wheel pants and a canopy and the shipping charges were Crazy

Quote:
I ordered the electric motor kit from Pilot-RC on 7/8, and it arrived today 7/13, in San Diego.
5 days from China. Not bad.

Quick Reply