Oct 07, 2019, 02:55 AM
Hello everyone guys,
I have just made my first 2 flights with my Edge 540 paired with DLE 35 RA + canister and 20X8 propeller but I noticed that at full trottle I have only 6100 rpm. Maybe during break-in period is better an19X8. What do you thinks? Consider that DLE runs for only 3 liter of gas
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2019, 08:33 AM
Hi Mtiz,

According to the manual it is better to use a 19x8 during break-in. I've done so and just recently switched to a 20x8.
With the 19x8 I measured about 7900 RPM, with the 20x8 it is about 7300 RPM. 6100RPM is indeed on the bottom side........ Try to turn open the high needle about 1/8 of a turn, maybe your high needle settings are to lean........ I wouldn't do more than 1/8 at the time, just to prevent that you setting it to fat......

greetings,
Ronny
Oct 08, 2019, 02:38 AM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
[QUOTE=Mtiz87;42894035]Hello everyone guys,
I have just made my first 2 flights with my Edge 540 paired with DLE 35 RA + canister and 20X8 propeller but I noticed that at full trottle I have only 6100 rpm. Maybe during break-in period is better an19X8. What do you thinks? Consider that DLE runs for only 3 liter of gas

Hi Mtiz

6100 is indeed on the low end. What prop are you using? 20x8 is not = 20x8 depending on manufacturer, material and airfoil. A 20x8 Falcon Carbon should show something around 7000’ ish out of the box. After 15 Liters my DLE gained additional 500 rpm. Factory settings on the carburettor are 1,5 turns for both needles. I did use the 20x8 for “Break-In” it just takes a little bit longer, if you don’t want to spend the extra bucks for the 19x8. You can’t go wrong either way.
It just came into my mind, make sure your throttle and choke linkage is working properly and both butterflies are fully open at WOT. I saw this many times on the field engines struggling down to a bad linkage set up.

Here are some readings of mine

DLE 35RA
Krumscheid Canister
CM6 Plug
Aspen Fuel 50/1 from day one

Falcon Carbon 19x10: 7750 RPM
Falcon Carbon 20x8: 7500 RPM
Oct 08, 2019, 05:01 AM
Hi Aviator, I'm using a wooden 20X8 Menz, I'll check throttle linkage as suggested.

Many thanks
Marco
Oct 09, 2019, 03:42 AM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtiz87
Hi Aviator, I'm using a wooden 20X8 Menz, I'll check throttle linkage as suggested.

Many thanks
Marco
Menz props are rpm killers due to their wide blade shape, they are ok for scale flying. Most guys in the scene are using Carbon Fiber props, Falcon or Mejzlik both are equally. If you prefer wood props the Vess 20b is a good alternative.

Cheers
Nov 18, 2019, 03:32 PM
I just tried to install my new replacement wings in my plane , but they don't fit.
The wing is a few inches wider, and the location pins , and bolts don't line up.

The wing is marked ,
540 V3 78.
So I assume it must be a V3 version, and I guess I have a V2 or V1 version of the plane.

Is there that much of a difference between the versions?
Nov 19, 2019, 04:37 AM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
I just tried to install my new replacement wings in my plane , but they don't fit.
The wing is a few inches wider, and the location pins , and bolts don't line up.

The wing is marked ,
540 V3 78.
So I assume it must be a V3 version, and I guess I have a V2 or V1 version of the plane.

Is there that much of a difference between the versions?
Hi

I am only aware of the V1 and V2 version

The V1 is all wood construction. V2 they re designed the fuse completely. Biggest difference are carbon fibre strings on the bottom part of the fuse. If you don’t have them you have a V1 version. Could be that the pin location has been changed in V2.
Did you order the new wings in regards to the serial number printed in the fuse or wing root?
Did you order the wings from your dealer or directly from Pilot RC
Might be possible to get them changed.

Post #65 shows V1; #137 is V2

Cheers
Last edited by Aviator1165; Nov 19, 2019 at 04:43 AM.
Nov 20, 2019, 04:55 PM
I looked everywhere on my plane,
can't find anything that looks like a serial number.
Nov 21, 2019, 05:26 AM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
I looked everywhere on my plane,
can't find anything that looks like a serial number.
ItĎs printed on the wing root normally
Nov 21, 2019, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1165
ItĎs printed on the wing root normally
Thanks very much.
I found it.
I didn't expect it to look like that.
Nov 21, 2019, 01:44 PM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks very much.
I found it.
I didn't expect it to look like that.
Happy to help no problem

In case you canít return your new wings I would recommend to buy some incidence adjusters from Mike from F3A Unlimited.
They should be easily to install, set incidence to 0/0 for a starting point and adjust if need be.

Cheers
Nov 22, 2019, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1165
Happy to help no problem

In case you canít return your new wings I would recommend to buy some incidence adjusters from Mike from F3A Unlimited.
They should be easily to install, set incidence to 0/0 for a starting point and adjust if need be.

Cheers
I glued some wing supports in the fuse for the wing screws and alignment pins, and drilled holes
along the line of the old wings, hopefully this will maintain the original incidence angle.
If it doesn't work I'll use the incidence adjustment kit.
Thanks for the link.

BTW My serial number for my original kit is 118.
I received the plane in July of 2018, about a year and a half ago.
I had to wait several months for the production run on the plane, so I assume it was the latest iteration of the plane.

The wing set I got from Chief in July has a SN of 035, so I must assume that it's an earlier version of the wing.
I wonder why they reduced the wing area in the later version.
My replacement wings are bigger than the original ones.
Nov 22, 2019, 01:49 PM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
I glued some wing supports in the fuse for the wing screws and alignment pins, and drilled holes
along the line of the old wings, hopefully this will maintain the original incidence angle.
If it doesn't work I'll use the incidence adjustment kit.
Thanks for the link.

BTW My serial number for my original kit is 118.
I received the plane in July of 2018, about a year and a half ago.
I had to wait several months for the production run on the plane, so I assume it was the latest iteration of the plane.

The wing set I got from Chief in July has a SN of 035, so I must assume that it's an earlier version of the wing.
I wonder why they reduced the wing area in the later version.
My replacement wings are bigger than the original ones.
Thatís interesting. Seems they re-designed the whole thing? Everything looks more fragile but is still rock solid with the embedded carbon fibre stringers. The wing rood on my current Edge SN 384 is 418 mm. This is my second one and canít remember what the wing root was in the previous version.

Quick Reply