Thread Tools
Aug 09, 2019, 05:03 AM
Registered User
I've heared that the standard muffler keeps coming loose...... and you don't want to detach the cowl every few flights I guess .
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2019, 05:11 AM
Registered User
I think that DLE canister is the best choise for me, I'll order it soon. I don't wont weaken further my Firewall box only for install the standard muffler, another advantage using canister is that cowl does not must be cutted for exaust dump.
Aug 13, 2019, 09:55 PM
BWH
BWH
Registered User
Flew mine 5 flights Saturday. DLE40 with smoke. Still getting the new engine dialled in but flew great. Couples a little in KE but nothing major. Didn't try hovering but has good power. I'm running a Xoar 20x8 sword prop. 7k or so on the ground and unloads to almost 10k. Rips the prop just a little out of a shallow dive. Running 215 degrees with no baffling.
Aug 22, 2019, 11:56 PM
Registered User
After about 30 flights I notice that the revs are going up at full power, I think it is about time to switch to a 20x8 prop.
Sep 15, 2019, 05:20 AM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Dropped the 19x10 Falcon and went back to the 20x8 for better breaking in down lines. Top speed still ok. Currently seeing 7800 rpm on ground. Head temp 90 degree C, no baffling. After 2 gallons the engine picked up additional 500 rpm and runs great with a nice transition from idle to wot and vice versa. I did change the original carbon undercarriage from Pilot through an aftermarket solution. The original feels quite flimsy and is to weak for that size of plane in my opinion. It also showed some tiny cracks on its surface after a couple of landings.
Sep 15, 2019, 10:52 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1165
Dropped the 19x10 Falcon and went back to the 20x8 for better breaking in down lines. Top speed still ok. Currently seeing 7800 rpm on ground. Head temp 90 degree C, no baffling. After 2 gallons the engine picked up additional 500 rpm and runs great with a nice transition from idle to wot and vice versa. I did change the original carbon undercarriage from Pilot through an aftermarket solution. The original feels quite flimsy and is to weak for that size of plane in my opinion. It also showed some tiny cracks on its surface after a couple of landings.
Where did you get the aftermarket LG.
I agree the Pilot LG is too weak for the weight of this plane.
Mine developed cracks after the first few landings.
Sep 16, 2019, 06:24 AM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
Where did you get the aftermarket LG.
I agree the Pilot LG is too weak for the weight of this plane.
Mine developed cracks after the first few landings.
Got it from here

https://carbonrcparts.com/Carbon-Fib...irplane-Flight

It is the 26- 35cc Version. Perfect fit and way more rigid. Also a bit wider so the tracking on ground feels better.
And cheaper as the original Pilot part

Cheers
Sep 17, 2019, 10:27 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1165
Got it from here

https://carbonrcparts.com/Carbon-Fib...irplane-Flight

It is the 26- 35cc Version. Perfect fit and way more rigid. Also a bit wider so the tracking on ground feels better.
And cheaper as the original Pilot part

Cheers
Thanks, do the mounting holes line up?
Sep 17, 2019, 01:22 PM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
Thanks, do the mounting holes line up?
It comes without holes, just use the original Pilot undercarriage as a template. Easy job takes a couple of minutes only.
Sep 18, 2019, 10:06 AM
BWH
BWH
Registered User
Update: 10 flights on mine with the DLE40 with smoke and not issues. I haven't really pushed the 3D very hard but next time out I may pop it up into a hover and see what it does. Otherwise I am happy with it. Stock landing gear seems just fine on mine so far.
Sep 22, 2019, 04:13 AM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Setup completed for now. CoG settled @ 90mm from LE or 40mm in front of the wing tube. She is quite neutral, needs only a tiny tiny bit of down elev. in inverted flight. This is more a precision aerobatic setup, you 3D guys might prefer a more aft CoG.
I did shim the engine on the right top corner with one washer for a bit more down and side thrust. She still needs 2-3 clicks of right aileron trim for level flight. Nothing major. As the season is going to itís end now, I will have a look into the wing incidence over the wintertime and see if there is some space for improvement and get rid of the aileron trim. If not it stays as is.
Sep 23, 2019, 12:08 AM
Registered User
This weekend I could finally get some flight time with a 20x8 prop instead of the 19x8 I've been flying with since the maiden. Airspeed is remarkable higher and vertical she just keeps going. Max RPM is about 400 revs lower so noise reduction is okay too. Prop is made by "Falcon" and looks real good, blade covers came with the prop. My guess the 20x8 is the ideal prop for this combination.
Last edited by corsair001; Sep 23, 2019 at 03:30 AM.
Sep 23, 2019, 01:55 PM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair001
This weekend I could finally get some flight time with a 20x8 prop instead of the 19x8 I've been flying with since the maiden. Airspeed is remarkable higher and vertical she just keeps going. Max RPM is about 400 revs lower so noise reduction is okay too. Prop is made by "Falcon" and looks real good, blade covers came with the prop. My guess the 20x8 is the ideal prop for this combination.
Yep, 20x8 Falcon is a good all round prop for the DLE35
Sep 24, 2019, 02:46 PM
BWH
BWH
Registered User
I haven't tried the Falcon but the DLE 40 is ripping the Xoar 20x8 now. I will probably leave it as I am not WOT much anyway.
Sep 26, 2019, 02:26 AM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWH
I haven't tried the Falcon but the DLE 40 is ripping the Xoar 20x8 now. I will probably leave it as I am not WOT much anyway.
If you are happy with the performance just leave as is and have fun


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools