May 29, 2019, 04:23 AM
Great! many thanks corsair001 I ll'try do redraw mounting points from your picture, I asked Pilot if they have some measures too. Thanks for elettronic information. I can't wait to start construction of this wanderfull bird
to remove ads between posts
May 29, 2019, 01:20 PM
Since it's not a good idea to immobilize the rudder with tape, because it lifts off the clock decal,
I cut a tongue depressor in half and secured the two halves with a zip tie.
It holds the rudder still so that you can work on the pull pull system, and the tailwheel without damaging the decal.

It also slides in and out easily for testing the rudder servo.
May 29, 2019, 04:44 PM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtiz87
Hi Corsair,
Unfortunelly no. I saw each side of firewall but It'is not marked at all. Could someone take me the correct measures for DLE35 RA mounting points?
On the other hands, what do you thinks if I use Hitech HS-7954SH servos for aileron, elevetor and rudder?
I'm Sorry for all this questions, this is my first maxi rc plane.
Hi

Do you have the center lines marked on the firewall at least? There are several drill templates in the kit also for the DLE 30 which has the same drill pattern as the 35 RA, 54 x 70 mm if I recall correct. Just align the lines and drill the holes.
The 7954 are great servos and absolutely fine for the Edge. They are a good investment if you want to use them for future projects. The 5645 are also great as long you dont use longer arms than 1.2
2.5 arms approximately reduce the torque by 0.5 Having said this a 10kg servo will have 5kg torque in reality for example. If money doesnt matter go with the 7954

Cheers
May 29, 2019, 04:51 PM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
Since it's not a good idea to immobilize the rudder with tape, because it lifts off the clock decal,
I cut a tongue depressor in half and secured the two halves with a zip tie.
It holds the rudder still so that you can work on the pull pull system, and the tailwheel without damaging the decal.

It also slides in and out easily for testing the rudder servo.
Great Idea, you can also use an throw or angle meter if available. Just stick on the rudder and job done
May 30, 2019, 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1165
Hi

Do you have the center lines marked on the firewall at least? There are several drill templates in the kit also for the DLE 30 which has the same drill pattern as the 35 RA, 54 x 70 mm if I recall correct. Just align the lines and drill the holes.
The 7954 are great servos and absolutely fine for the Edge. They are a good investment if you want to use them for future projects. The 5645 are also great as long you don’t use longer arms than 1.2”
2.5” arms approximately reduce the torque by 0.5 Having said this a 10kg servo will have 5kg torque in reality for example. If money doesn’t matter go with the 7954

Cheers
Yes I have center line marked. When you said that there are several drill template in the kit, you mean in the Pilot kit or engine kit? I found nothing in my Pilot Kit.
May 30, 2019, 11:27 AM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtiz87
Yes I have center line marked. When you said that there are several drill template in the kit, you mean in the Pilot kit or engine kit? I found nothing in my Pilot Kit.
Have a look in your accessory bag that comes with the plane, normally there is a little poly bag included with wooden drill templates I think 3 different ones. There is also a template in your engines manual on page 24.
Cut it out and stick it on the firewall. Make sure center lines are aligned and drill the holes. No big deal

Cheers
Last edited by Aviator1165; May 30, 2019 at 11:35 AM.
May 31, 2019, 02:09 AM
Hello,
Pilots send me the correct measures for DLE 35 RA, unit of measure is millimeter. I hope could be useful for someone else.

Marco
May 31, 2019, 10:12 AM
Tailwheel install.

The build video on the Sbach shows the tailwheel pivot point about an inch back behind the rudder pivot point.
Is that correct ?
May 31, 2019, 12:28 PM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
Tailwheel install.

The build video on the Sbach shows the tailwheel pivot point about an inch back behind the rudder pivot point.
Is that correct ?
Here is a picture of my tail wheel assembly
May 31, 2019, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1165
Here is a picture of my tail wheel assembly
Thanks for the picture.
That's the way I'll install mine.
It just seemed a little odd to have the tailwheel pivot point behind the rudder pivot point.
Jun 01, 2019, 10:38 AM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Weather was not that good today so fitted a dash and new pilot into the edge
Jun 03, 2019, 12:13 AM
We had a long weekend with very nice weather (30C) and I found the time to do some nice flying with my Edge. I love this plane more and more, she flies like a dream. My home made cooling system works real good. The temperature of my engine, after a flight for about 10 minutes by 30C air temperature, is 75C....
Jun 03, 2019, 08:22 AM
Good job corsair001! It's easy to fly during landing?
I'm starting to assemble it during these days
Jun 03, 2019, 08:40 AM
Thanks Mtiz,

Landings are total uneventfull, like a trainer, almost on its own . One thing I always do is to reduce my idle by switch when I'm landing. I always fly with higher idle, because the risk of an engine stall when in flight is a lot smaller this way. At the final turn I switch to reduced idle and she comes in as smooth as a pancake. You will enjoy it.
Jun 09, 2019, 12:55 PM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Had here out for a couple of flights today. I am settled on the CoG now. All flights has been done with the winglets on and I feel that consecutive rolls are not 100% centered. Looks like a slight barrel rolling in both directions. Will take off the winglets for the next flights and see if anything changes. If not I may look into aileron differential. Some pics of todays flight.
So far I am very pleased with the Edge and how she flies. The Engine runs great with an excellent transition from idle to wot, no midrange burble and pulls the Edge around with authority.

Quick Reply