Thread Tools
May 24, 2019, 11:34 AM
Registered User
I'm working on the build for my Hamilton Edge.
What length servo arms do I need for the Elevators, and Ailerons?
I'm using Hitec servos.
Considering using SECRAFT or Xtreme flight.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2019, 10:21 AM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
I'm working on the build for my Hamilton Edge.
What length servo arms do I need for the Elevators, and Ailerons?
I'm using Hitec servos.
Considering using SECRAFT or Xtreme flight.
Depends on your flying style. I am using the 1,2” Pilot RC arms. Plenty of throw for IMAC and what I need for 3D. The Edge is very agile no big throws needed. But if you are more the hardcore 3D guy than you potentially need longer arms but watch that your servos have enough torque. I wouldn’t use a 10kg servo on 2” or more servo arms.
May 25, 2019, 10:52 AM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Catched a hole in the strip during landing. Touch down was very soft but the right landing gear leg started flexing around like crazy when it hits the hole and ripped the side former which carries the aluminium bracket in pieces. First idea was to order some spare wood parts from Toni and build a double layer for reinforcement. Unfortunately the parts weren’t available on short term and have 30 days lead time which was not acceptable. So I remembered the good old balsa days and fixed the former and glued everything together. This “wood stuff” really brittles like glass. I then made a template for a 1.5mm Carbon Fibre Sheet. Epoxied the sheets on both sides for reinforcement. In addition the undercarriage was upgraded with bigger wheels. I ordered the 3.5” wheels from the 60cc Edge. Only the wheel pants needed some enlargement. But was on easy job with the dremel. Took here out today for a couple of flights. Ground handling with the bigger wheels is even better now. The Edge looks great in the air especially full throttle low passes are looking very cool. The DLE 35 RA runs great and reliable from the beginning on
May 25, 2019, 11:03 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1165
Depends on your flying style. I am using the 1,2” Pilot RC arms. Plenty of throw for IMAC and what I need for 3D. The Edge is very agile no big throws needed. But if you are more the hardcore 3D guy than you potentially need longer arms but watch that your servos have enough torque. I wouldn’t use a 10kg servo on 2” or more servo arms.
Thanks very much for the quick reply.
May 25, 2019, 12:02 PM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
Thanks very much for the quick reply.
Your welcome, have fun with your build
May 27, 2019, 12:18 AM
Registered User
I finally got to maiden my plane last weekend, just a few clicks to trim and she was flying like on rails. Starts and landings are uneventfull.
I richened the motor at the high end a little bit to make it run very smooth. Nice perfomance and lovely sound, no to loud. Motortemperature after landing was 62°C, so it looks like my home made airintakes are doing just fine.
@aviator1165, thank you for your advice about the CoG, it was spot on.
@clearprop88, enjoy your build, you will enjoy flying it so much more...
May 27, 2019, 06:19 AM
Fly low and fast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair001
I finally got to maiden my plane last weekend, just a few clicks to trim and she was flying like on rails. Starts and landings are uneventfull.
I richened the motor at the high end a little bit to make it run very smooth. Nice perfomance and lovely sound, no to loud. Motortemperature after landing was 62°C, so it looks like my home made airintakes are doing just fine.
@aviator1165, thank you for your advice about the CoG, it was spot on.
@clearprop88, enjoy your build, you will enjoy flying it so much more...
Congrats on the successful maiden. What prop are you using and what rpm do get from the DLE? Would be interesting to know

Cheers
May 27, 2019, 08:33 AM
Registered User
At this moment I'm using a 19/8 carbon prop for breaking in but I haven't measured the max RPM yet. Stationary RPM although is 1650. Like I wrote, in the air it seemed like it didn't get enough revs so I turned the high needle a quarter out. (But forgot to measure the max RPM after the adjustment :-)) I 'm planning on using a 20/8 after a few tanks, just to get the noise down.
Last edited by corsair001; May 27, 2019 at 11:52 PM.
May 28, 2019, 10:41 AM
Registered User
Hi all,
I received my Edge 540 v3 78" Hamilton scheme yesterday, great plane!
I have a question about DLE 35 RA marked mounting points, I saw that in yours planes they are present, but on my plane therearen't? It's happened someone else?
May 28, 2019, 02:51 PM
Registered User
Hi Mtiz,
Maybe they mounted the firewall backwards ?
Good Luckwith the built, you will enjoy it
May 28, 2019, 03:45 PM
Registered User
Hi Corsair,
Unfortunelly no. I saw each side of firewall but It'is not marked at all. Could someone take me the correct measures for DLE35 RA mounting points?
On the other hands, what do you thinks if I use Hitech HS-7954SH servos for aileron, elevetor and rudder?
I'm Sorry for all this questions, this is my first maxi rc plane.
Last edited by Mtiz87; May 28, 2019 at 03:51 PM.
May 29, 2019, 12:03 AM
Registered User
Hi Mitz,

That 's difficult once the engine and all of its components are installed. Maybe you can try to mail Pilot-RC or your local disstributor. ? I'm sure they will help you.

About the servo's, all depends on your flying style, if you fly hardcore 3D or not. I'm not a 3D pilot and fly "normal" acro so I installed the Hitec HS-5645MG everywhere. I'm flying planes for more than 20 years now and I have the feeling that servo's need to be stronger and stronger over the years. Like I said, depends on your flying style but looks like the HS-7954SH is more than you need for any style.......

If you need more info, just ask........ I'll be happy to help if I can.
May 29, 2019, 03:05 AM
Registered User
Hi corsair001,
I would like to use these servos only because I already have two of these, so other servos could be Hitec HS-5645MG as you seggested. Did you use a PowerBox or only a BEC?
May 29, 2019, 03:08 AM
Registered User
I found a picture on wich the markings of the mounting points are good visible, maybe when you try to redraw the under marker at the right side you can measure up the 3 other ones.
May 29, 2019, 03:15 AM
Registered User
The servo's you mention are stronger than mine, so they will do just fine.
I installed a "Powerbox sensor" for the two receiver batteries and also a "Rcexl Opto Gas Engine Kill Switch" for the ignition.
So I use two batteries for my receiver and one for the ignition.
All Lithium ion 7.4V 2000MaH.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools