Wow! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 18, 2017, 12:53 PM
Senior to who? Member
Discussion

Wow!

I'm just returning to the hobby after a major layoff(marriage ) of several years and now retired I'm getting back up to speed on what I've missed.
First off, I'm SO impress that Jim Drew weathered all the early flack and stuck with it, that the first part of the WOW! I truly thought trying to play with the big boys (Futaba, JR etc) was at best going to end up with them buying up the IP involved and then killing it. Being wrong sometimes feels pretty good

The second part of the WOW! is you not only have new products but you have things I probably need. I fly F3P when I can and as you know, being able to reliably run 1S power is becoming very important in the constant quest for lower wing loading. So your Nano Rx(plugless) is a much needed and welcome option- nice price too.

I also fly IMAC so I suspect I may also be interested in the Diversity RX and expanders but to tell you the truth, I'm not having much luck understanding just what they offer- I have a Futaba 12fg and therefore FSS. Due to my layoff I have not yet gotten into S-Bus but cant imagine NOT going that way for the next flight pack. But while I have the original tx module for my Futaba 8U I really dont want to use it for IMAC when I have the much more capable 12FG, but I dont see a module listed for it- but I do see 2 for the 8U...so its the universal module or nothing?

Perhaps a quick basic explaination of the what the Diversity Rx could do for me would help and perhaps the expander as well?
Last edited by crossup; Jan 18, 2017 at 01:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2017, 01:45 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Thanks for the Wows.

We were actually approached by a few companies trying to exclusively distribute our products, but I felt that it was a ploy to kill them so I never caved in to that.

Since you already have a Futaba 12g (and we don't make a module for it), you probably will not be going the way of the Nanos or RFU. However, the X10+ (or upcoming X24) using SBUS will be the way you will want to go for IMAC. You will be able to use two (or more with the X24) 3 channel Futaba receivers (full range and cheap compared to their 8+ channel receivers) to have true receiver RF redundancy.
Jan 18, 2017, 04:21 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
XPS nano... it is literally the _only_ receiver on the market where you can fly micro to giant scale care free.
Jan 18, 2017, 07:26 PM
Build more, websurf less
Welcome back crossup and best of luck and fun with your RC endeavors henceforth!

Presumably the Futaba 12G has a buddy box port and that likely outputs PPM. Given that, there should be a way to use the universal XPS transmitter module. This way you could install the XPS module and use the Nano receivers for the F3P planes.

Since the XPS transmitter module does not have to be a permanent installation you can remove it and use the 12G again for Futaba SBUS receivers with the X10+ and X24 units.

Very flexible.
Jan 18, 2017, 08:44 PM
Senior to who? Member
Flying W, yes it has the newer rectangular buddy port, which IRC unlike MZs has power to run modules. In fact I'm getting a DSM2 module which interfaces thru the buddy port next week, its a proven solution, so I'd expect no issue with the Universal module. But I'm a picky bastard and really want to use the
port.
My thought for the XPS and also a multi protocol module that will be available soon, would be to 3D print a copy of the OE module(just the part that goes into the cavity) and use that to mount the non MZ style module. Hopefully since I'll have a way to mount it, I can use a header to plug it into the cavity connector.

The module receptacle has two sets of connections and since the FM synth uses both but the FAAST module only uses the lower 10 pin connector. That tells me the FM RF section needs the second connector to be active, so logically any module not using that connector will automatically disable the FM which couldnt work anyway without a freq. synth. So I am hopeful this can be done.
Jan 18, 2017, 08:53 PM
Senior to who? Member
I should also mention that flying F3P now means using a coaxial drive system and most people are using multiple throttle mixes to best utilize the drive. So using the 12FG is pretty important as the 8U is fairly limited compared to it.
Jan 19, 2017, 08:02 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossup
I should also mention that flying F3P now means using a coaxial drive system and most people are using multiple throttle mixes to best utilize the drive. So using the 12FG is pretty important as the 8U is fairly limited compared to it.
as Jim mentioned, XPS wont help with the F3P unless you change your transmitter to something that can transmit out of the XPS module directly without a PPM translation (just by translating it to PPM slows it down).

There are some good radios that can do the throttle mixes you're after that are cheaper than the latest F3P contra drives.
Last edited by theKM; Jan 19, 2017 at 08:16 AM.
Jan 19, 2017, 08:48 AM
Senior to who? Member
So a little research reveals that the MZ style Futaba modules use a Microwire 16 bits 93C46 EEPROM. to pass region, freq etc data to the system which will not transmit without receiving a valid config from the EEPROM. Its looking like the info needed to do a DIY module is out there.
I'm thinking since I have several 8U style modules that I would 3D print an adapter shell that fits into the 12FG/MZ module cavity and has a 8U cavity on top. Add a 10 pin connector to mate with the tx cavity, the EEPROM and a header going into the 8U cavity and its should then all snap together, no velcro or loose modules. For the Mz speckrum module I could make a second adapter and just use it as a physical mount since its only needs the buddy box port.
Jan 19, 2017, 08:59 AM
Senior to who? Member
Sorry but I still dont get what you're saying. Lets try this: I have the futaba 8u style XPS module, I plug it in and it would control the nano and allow anything the 8U can do mix wise, right? This uses a PPM signal right? or is it PCM?
What would change by running that module on my 12FG?
Since the Universal module is PPM does it slow down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
as Jim mentioned, XPS wont help with the F3P unless you change your transmitter to something that can transmit out of the XPS module directly without a PPM translation (just by translating it to PPM slows it down).

There are some good radios that can do the throttle mixes you're after that are cheaper than the latest F3P contra drives.
Jan 19, 2017, 10:36 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
actually, you'll likely be seeing the same speeds as your current radio. apologies, I got the 12FG mixed up with the 14SG. the module bay itself is likely using PPM as it is.
Jan 19, 2017, 12:40 PM
Senior to who? Member
ahh, well speed was not a concern for F3P use, just having the mixing and of course I prefer to just use one Tx for all my stuff.
Right now 2 transmitters cover all my needs protocol wise but with way more than 16 models using the 8U and only a tiny fraction of the model capacity of the 12fg being used, it would be SO nice to fly everything off the 12. Not to mention my 8U looks like garbage just from shear age and no neglect. AFAIK, the module bay has to be able to send PCMG3, PCM1024 and PPM to the modules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
actually, you'll likely be seeing the same speeds as your current radio. apologies, I got the 12FG mixed up with the 14SG. the module bay itself is likely using PPM as it is.