Jan 17, 2017, 10:57 PM
Senior to who? Member
Thread OP
Discussion

Anyone still interested in build Koichi IRX 301/351?

Reason I ask is I still have 5 of the 8 0r 10 PCBs I made and its pretty unlikely I will build them all now that I have other brands of IRs and so many projects in general. I figured these were long forgotten but a quick search here showed a couple people still doing these only a year ago or so. So I might as well see if they can be put to use. I've been careful not to touch them to prevent corrosion(they are quite shiny and clean), the traces are very crisp, the board is the thinnest available back then(.005?) and other than missing the front to back register(alignment) by several thousands of an inch, pretty much perfect.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2017, 05:46 AM
I probably have some parts kits somewhere. TBH, with Deltang available I'm not going back to IR.
Jan 18, 2017, 07:49 AM
Senior to who? Member
Thread OP
The only reason I can see to use IR is for gram or subgram planes where the cost of Nich Lichty gear is a deal breaker to go lighter. My IRXs ran 0.11gm, about half the lightest Deltang(which is a servo rx) but thats offset by the IR detector which we used years ago...looks like Koichi Tanaka found one that fixes that: 0.03gm IRC
Jan 18, 2017, 09:03 AM
I would not want to get into a weight contest with Koichi, that's for sure
I recently bought a DT41rx from Bob Selman, it is an older version that is just one actuator & esc. It was only $35 and he only had a few. I am pretty sure it is lighter than DT's current version @ 280mg. Bob is curtailing his micro business and also no longer a dealer for DT products at all. The only US dealer I know of is Nick.
Jan 19, 2017, 09:17 AM
I have been interessed in IR again lately for 2ch projects. Aliexpress has some offerings but I am a little stuck on TX pricing. So now I was considering a DT RX but availability with DSMX programming is near zero. Thanks for that, Europe.

Do you guys have suggestions for IR TX's?
Jan 19, 2017, 12:16 PM
I would imagine there will be a compatibility issue if you are trying to use a ready made rx and match it up with a different tx. When we built the Koichi IR gear it was relatively easy to make a matching tx module that tied into the trainer port of an existing transmitter. The code was available for either of the two popular IR detectors and it matched the rx code. Not sure how you would sort it out for a ready made rx. Dave
Jan 19, 2017, 01:22 PM
Senior to who? Member
Thread OP
Dave has it right...in my case I have a Koichi tx and rx, which I have successfully used but the TX board was my own layout and I will admit to trying to be too fancy and after the second redesign I found the Bidwell(?) site which at the time offered both tx and matching rx and detector chips.
So despite the rx being on std PCB( rx is like a gram w/o IR detector) I tried to get it to work. IRC it didn't but while doing this or perhaps playing with the Plantraco tx module(not the mini tx they make) I managed to fry my Futaba 8U trainer port. Fortunately I was able to locate the fried component and fix the tx which I still use till this day.

Also in the mix is there are two popular frequencies for the detector and of course the rx must work with it freq. wise. IRC, 38 and 56khz, pretty sure my stuff is all 38

Now I never did figure if I somehow caused the problem or what, I just used an older "disposable" tx and had no issue with frying stuff but don't recall success with the Chinese gear, I will say the TX emitter/encoder was quite nice and the stuff was stupid cheap.
At this point I plan to revisit it and assuming I get it to work, rework the rx as a "dead bug" to keep it light which is the only reason I'd use IR. I know rf rx's can be just as light or more so but the cost is prohibitive given my level of interest. Now if I hit the loto, Nick Leighty will be working overtime

In the pic, stuff at rights side is of course my Koichi rx, left shows Chinese stuff with the Koichi 351 just right of the Chinese rx.
Jan 19, 2017, 01:25 PM
Senior to who? Member
Thread OP
Dave has it right...in my case I have a Koichi tx and rx, which I have successfully used but the TX board was my own layout and I will admit to trying to be too fancy and after the second redesign I found the Bidwell(?) site which at the time offered both tx and matching rx and detector chips.
So despite the rx being on std PCB( rx is like a gram w/o IR detector) I tried to get it to work. IRC it didn't but while doing this or perhaps playing with the Plantraco tx module(not the mini tx they make) I managed to fry my Futaba 8U trainer port. Fortunately I was able to locate the fried component and fix the tx which I still use till this day.

Also in the mix is there are two popular frequencies for the detector and of course the rx must work with it freq. wise. IRC, 38 and 56khz, pretty sure my stuff is all 38

Now I never did figure if I somehow caused the problem or what, I just used an older "disposable" tx and had no issue with frying stuff but don't recall success with the Chinese gear, I will say the TX emitter/encoder was quite nice and the stuff was stupid cheap.
At this point I plan to revisit it and assuming I get it to work, rework the rx as a "dead bug" to keep it light which is the only reason I'd use IR. I know rf rx's can be just as light or more so but the cost is prohibitive given my level of interest. Now if I hit the loto, Nick Leighty will be working overtime

In the pic, stuff at top is of course my Koichi rx, left shows Chinese stuff with the Koichi 351 just right of the Chinese rx.

Quick Reply