Simitri F5J - RC Groups
Jan 17, 2017, 07:17 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Build Log

Simitri F5J

This plane just landed on my doorstep today so I figured, why not do a build thread!!! A lot of times you can't really see how well the finish is on a plane just by the photos but I think you'll see just how nice it is in the photos below.

Individual parts weight

Pod = 104.7g (AUW Pod, boom, and stabs) = 695.5g
Boom = 90g
Horz S = 40.9g
Vert S = 46.8g
Left Tip = 187.6g (AUW) = 206.2g
Right Tip = 191.3g (AUW) = 209.6g
Center panel = 374.2g (AUW) = 453.3g
Hardware = 50.3g

Total = 1085.8g or 38.3oz The AUW is 1584.3g or 55.89oz

I plan on using all MKS HV 6100/6110 servos, Neu 1102 or 1105 motor (depending on weight needed in the nose), a Graupner ESC, 3S, 850mAh, 70C battery, and a OptiGuard battery backup system.

My plane came with a firewall installed but I'm going to remove it and install an aluminum mount that's machined for the P29 gearbox on the Neu motor.

Let the fun begin!
Last edited by Jim Frahm; Feb 02, 2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: updated AUW
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2017, 07:38 PM
That's a great looking plane. I'm getting the f3j version it should be here on Thursday. Super excited you always have great build logs
Frank Burnoski
Jan 17, 2017, 08:35 PM
Finish looks great. The weight looks good too. If I was building it I would opt for a little more power.
Jan 17, 2017, 08:38 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ustowman1
That's a great looking plane. I'm getting the f3j version it should be here on Thursday. Super excited you always have great build logs
Frank Burnoski

Hey Franky,

Let me know your pod and boom weight when you get it. I'm curious if they make one fuse for both planes just with or without motor mount.

See you in April.

Jim
Jan 17, 2017, 08:52 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
I could not wish a better weights.
Bingo !
Yuri
Jan 17, 2017, 09:42 PM
doo
doo
Looking good. Are the wings hollow or Roacell? Can you comment on tail attachment? Easily removed for transportation and storage?
Jan 17, 2017, 10:06 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo
Looking good. Are the wings hollow or Roacell? Can you comment on tail attachment? Easily removed for transportation and storage?
The wings are hollow molded and they feel pretty strong and durable. I'll post some photos of the stab attachment. Not as easy as the Xplorers but not that bad either.

Jim
Jan 17, 2017, 10:10 PM
doo
doo
Ok great. Overall, is your impression that the Simitri is at least as strong and durable as the Xplorer F5J? If so, I might have to give Bob or Alex a call.
Jan 17, 2017, 10:16 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo
Ok great. Overall, is your impression that the Simitri is at least as strong and durable as the Xplorer F5J? If so, I might have to give Bob or Alex a call.
The skin feels tough and ding resistant and it's not spongy feeling either. I'm not worried about handling it, that's for sure.

If you want one give them a call and get on the waiting list. I think the next shipment is 2 to 3 months out but I'm not positive.

I'd bring it to the Expo so you could see it but my truck is going to be full of stuff for the swap meet.

Jim
Jan 17, 2017, 10:44 PM
doo
doo
Great to hear that the wing feels tough and ding resistant. Yea, I think I will call SUSA and get on the list. Thanks Jim for the great photos. I enjoy all of your build threads.
Last edited by doo; May 25, 2017 at 12:01 PM.
Jan 17, 2017, 10:57 PM
RV7guy

Got mine today!!!

Hey Jim,

Got mine today and weighed everything. I can see there is some differences in weights from yours as follows.

Stab 42 g
L Tip 200g
R Tip 195g
Cent 413g
Boom 91g
Pod 148g (with pushrods. Probably lose a few grams when they are cut down)
Fin 44g
Hdwr 56g

So we have 39g difference in center panels, a few grams on the tips and the Pod is different. If you didn't weigh it with the pushrods, that could be the difference. Pretty impressed with the weights!!

Finish is exceptional. I've already purchased the 1102 with P29 gear box. Also have a Pete Hove mount coming.

Servos will be Futaba 3270's on SBus. That will save an ounce in wiring and connector. Castle Phx 50 Ice Lite ESC. Probably use a Hyperion 850 LiFe for the radio, magnetic switch. My numbers are showing this coming in at 54 ounces RTF. If so, that is ideal. Certainly not going to sweat over an ounce or two.

I think the important factor is if the manufacturer can maintain consistency in the weights.

Very impressive looking plane. Will be watching your build thread!!

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
Jan 17, 2017, 11:36 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
I forgot to mentioned that I removed the ballast tube because I will use flat rod for my ballast. That's the difference in the pod weight.

My early estimates have me adding about 18oz of gear weight, including the weight of the glue, servo frames, and wiring.
Jan 18, 2017, 11:49 AM
Bro
Bro

Simitri F5J

Howdy,

The fit and finish of Simitri need to be seen to be really appreciated. On the winch, my F3J Simitri is a very nice well behaved model.

On the motors.... I think you will find the lighter motor in front will be the ticket, at least in the F5 we are building...

And someone said a bigger motor? I think 80 oz of thrust on a 54oz model will do the job?

Neu1102 3s 14x7 (0 min 38 sec)

Look forward to your build thread Jim!

Happy 2017 to ALL!!

Bob
Latest blog entry: 2015
Jan 18, 2017, 12:14 PM
Impressive !

Although I think if Yuri built one it needs at least double that.

Again, great looking model.

Cheers,

Joon