This thread is privately moderated by mgutzmer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 16, 2017, 08:15 PM
Almost retired
Thread OP
Build Log

SIG King Kobra

My third King Kobra in 6 years. Sadly, the first two are gone. I'm using E-Flight electric retracts so no finding a place for the tank. Also I will be installing the aileron servos in the wing.
First day of work on it.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2017, 11:02 PM
Almost retired
Thread OP
Before going to work tonight i decided to do one more thing. Cut out for the conduit tube for the aileron servo wire. Only took 30 minutes since I already had made the iron attachment years ago.
Jan 18, 2017, 02:57 AM
Your 3rd one? You know what they say......third times the charm!
Maybe it's time I get back to work on mine.....been a couple years since I worked on it, with the move and Camaro project........and everything else that happens.
Jan 18, 2017, 08:59 AM
Almost retired
Thread OP
The wings are progressing fine. Put the top skin on the left wing and ready to do the same to the right, but I want to install the wire conduit first. In the past I ran the retract wires under the wheel well, but I'm gonna try something different. I'm gonna cut a channel at a 45 degree angle from the retract to join up with the servo conduit.
Jan 18, 2017, 12:57 PM
I bought a KK kit a while back and unbeknownst to me was that someone started the kit and covered the wings already. They put the landing gear blocks in for fixed gear as well. Do you think it's not too late to cut that out and make mine retract ready or should I start with new wing cores? I see you're doing a lot of prep work before covering the wing.
Jan 18, 2017, 08:22 PM
Almost retired
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91pilot View Post
I bought a KK kit a while back and unbeknownst to me was that someone started the kit and covered the wings already. They put the landing gear blocks in for fixed gear as well. Do you think it's not too late to cut that out and make mine retract ready or should I start with new wing cores? I see you're doing a lot of prep work before covering the wing.
I would not bother with doing that retro fit. Just order a wing kit from SIG. You can get all you need to build a new wing the way you want.
But the more I think about it you might be able to modify that wing. It all depends on what you want to do and how. It is the bottom of the wing and not so critical. And the added expense is a consideration also.
Last edited by mgutzmer; Jan 18, 2017 at 08:33 PM.
Jan 18, 2017, 08:25 PM
Almost retired
Thread OP
The idea I had about cutting a channel at an angle to run the lead for the retract worked out. Almost ready to cover and cap off the wing. The two halves should be joined together in a couple of days.
Jan 19, 2017, 08:50 PM
Almost retired
Thread OP
Sheeting the bottom of the wing with the cut outs that protrude above the sheeting. I use wax paper to keep the sheet that has the very tacky 3M spray 77 adhesive applied. The cut out for the gear well is cut out afterward.
Jan 20, 2017, 07:27 AM
I have never build a foam wing so just wondering, are you only using the 3m 77 adhesive to attach the balsa sheeting to the wing?
Jan 21, 2017, 01:55 AM
Almost retired
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Flyer View Post
I have never build a foam wing so just wondering, are you only using the 3m 77 adhesive to attach the balsa sheeting to the wing?
For the skins yes. the edges I use epoxy. Never had a problem with the 3M stuff coming off.
Jan 21, 2017, 02:09 AM
Almost retired
Thread OP
Going flying in the morning so I'm getting some done tonight. Both wing halves are up to the point of adding the leading and trailing edges. The wing tip blocks will go on soon but I want to add onto them and extend the trailing edge of the tip block to cap the end of the aileron.
One note about using 3M 77 spray adhesive. You cannot use directly onto the foam, it will damage it. Spray on the skin and let is air out for a minute. The gases it gives off will attack foam.
Jan 22, 2017, 07:24 AM
Almost retired
Thread OP
I added to the wing tip block so that it extends and caps the end of the aileron. Today I should be joining the two halves together.
Jan 22, 2017, 09:51 AM
Almost retired
Thread OP
together
Jan 22, 2017, 10:26 AM
Looking good!
Jan 23, 2017, 11:34 PM
Almost retired
Thread OP
Did not get much done today, went to the dentist. The wing is basicly done and rough shaped so that I can start on the fuse and get them matched together.

Quick Reply