Jan 16, 2017, 07:57 PM
Thread OP
Question

Cyclon 40 Engine

Hello

First, let me introduce myself. I am Jananne Settle. I am Greg Settle's daughter. My dad died in July 2016 after a courageous battle with lung cancer. He died peacefully so I find comfort in that.

My dad was an excellent engine machinist and Control Line enthusiasts. He has a New Cyclon 40 engine made in Russia. I have done some research but am having a hard time finding out more details/specs for this engine. I have been told it is a high zoot Pylon Racing Engine. Can anyone confirm that/provide more info?

I was able to locate a similar engine here: http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/...3DEngineCyclon

Any info you have would be helpful.

Thanks
Jananne

After some research and input from family friends, my dad purchased this engine from an importer in the 1990's they were made by Alexander (Sasha) Kalmykov in Novosibirsk, Russia.
Last edited by jananne; Jan 29, 2017 at 11:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2017, 02:41 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Hello, Jananne, and condolences on your loss. I'm right here in the Denver area also, and used to fly international (FAI) pylon. That engine is indeed a "high-zoot pylon racing engine." It was designed to compete with the Nelson .40 FAI engine and looks almost identical. I'm sure it fits the same mounting holes. I don't know if the internal parts are interchangeable, but that wouldn't surprise me.

There's not much FAI racing in the U.S. (You'll also hear FAI pylon racing referred to as "F3D", which is the event designation that the FAI organization uses for this type of flying.) Some overseas buyers may be interested in using it, and a serious collector might be interested in acquiring it for their collection. It's no longer competitive in terms of winning a World Championship, but still no slouch. With FAI fuel (no nitro, just alcohol and oil) and a matching tuned pipe, it will generate more than 3.5 hp at 27,000+ rpm.

I can't say how much it's worth, but I believe the list price was similar to the Nelson when they were both on the market. That would be in the $400-500 range depending on whether it came with the pipe, spinner (nose cone), mount, etc. So don't let anyone talk you into selling it for $50. Except me!

Seriously, you have a real piece of history there. I'll let others chime in with their thoughts. But your dad definitely had good taste in engines!

Cheers,
Duane
Jan 17, 2017, 04:41 PM
Thread OP
Hi Duane,

Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate the info and tips.

~jananne
Jan 18, 2017, 04:32 PM
I met your father at the speed contest in Muncie a few years ago. Nice guy. He was the contest director at the time. I did the timing, so was dealing with him a fair bit. I was sad to hear of his death, it seems like a lot of speed guys are dying off. So much so that it may be hard to even hold events. I bet he used the motor for formula .40 Speed, as it would likely do well in that event. If you want to sell it to me, I could do better than $50. Maybe $51 or even more.
Jan 18, 2017, 08:19 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the kinds words and your sense of humor.
Jan 18, 2017, 09:35 PM
Scott
I'll go $52. Looks like we have an auction here???????

Scott
Jan 19, 2017, 08:43 AM
"Have that removed!"
Jananne,

you might try posting this over in the NMPRA forum as well. Unfortunately, the pylon community doesn't seem to be very active in the internet forums (neither here in RC Groups, nor the NMPRA forums), but there is a little more activity over there.

I assume you need to join the group to post. If you're not a member and don't wish to go through the hassle of joining, I could start a thread with a link to this thread, then viewers would be directed here. I'm relatively new to pylon racing, but have been in modeling for a long time and appreciate the loving care that goes into those kinds of engines and the passion racers (and surviving family members) have for them.

Tim
Last edited by KRProton; Jan 19, 2017 at 02:12 PM.
Jan 19, 2017, 08:42 PM
Thread OP
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the offer to start a thread, I'd appreciate that.

~jananne
Jan 20, 2017, 02:07 PM
"Have that removed!"
Done.

Here's a link:

http://www.nmpra.net/phpBB3/viewtopi...p=29374#p29374

Tim
Latest blog entry: Latest blog entry
Jan 20, 2017, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
Thank Tim!
Mar 09, 2018, 12:01 AM
Thread OP
Just wanted to add a quick note - This engine has been sold.

Quick Reply