Balsa USA's 1.4 Scale Cub - RC Groups
Jan 16, 2017, 02:11 PM
ARFs Are Me
Build Log

Balsa USA's 1.4 Scale Cub

One can watch Netflix only so much, and then he has to find something more interesting. For me, that means that it's time to start a new build.

Awhile back, I traded for a 1/4 scale, BUSA Cub. Building it should keep me occupied for some time.

My plan is to build a flyer, not a scale masterpiece. I'll leave that to the two fine builders that are building this model in the Giant Scale Forum.

My kit may have been through a few owners before it came my way. Many of the stab's original parts are nowhere to be found, but substitute parts are in the kit, and will suffice.

Today, I built the stab. The elevator halves should follow tomorrow.

I hope that you guys aren't tired of watching BUSA Cubs being built, as I enjoy the comaraderie that usually accompanies my builds.

As always, feel free to make comments at any time.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2017, 04:25 PM
OK Tom, Guess this is gonna add to my computer time......but will be worth it.

signed on for the show. Love a Cub build
Jan 16, 2017, 07:44 PM
Just an FYI, Netflix has a new show called Plane Resurrections. Just watched the first one about a full up restoration on a mustang and maiden. Six episodes.
Edwin
Jan 16, 2017, 08:56 PM
Yet another Tom Crump build . I honestly don't see how you find the time being retired and all. Is it gonna be yellow
Jan 17, 2017, 12:02 AM
Leroy G.
Tom I'll watch, the J 3 in 1/4 scale will make a nice Sunday flyer, I suspect you'll trim it out nicely, these planes have a way of saying, " well don't stop now, you went this far". At any rate I know you'll do a nice job.

Leroy
Jan 17, 2017, 12:00 PM
ARFs Are Me
Thanks for signing on, guys.

A yellow Cub ? What a novel idea. LOL Actually, I haven't chosen a scheme, yet. I'm not ruling out yellow, but most likely, it will be something else.

My brother mentioned "Plane Resurections, but I haven't checked it out. I'll do so, soon.
Jan 17, 2017, 02:27 PM
ARFs Are Me
Today's shop time yielded the elevators.

The clamps are holding a dowel, which joins the halves together.
Jan 18, 2017, 06:23 AM
All BS aside,Yellow is probably about the best color for visibility for me. It looks good,and is easy to see against blue sky,white clouds,or dark clouds. Looks good on the ground too
Jan 18, 2017, 06:27 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowfly
All BS aside,Yellow is probably about the best color for visibility for me. It looks good,and is easy to see against blue sky,white clouds,or dark clouds. Looks good on the ground too
I like yellow, too. The problem is that I already have several yellow models. My wife will probably want me to find a different scheme.
Jan 18, 2017, 11:11 AM
ARFs Are Me
I built the fin and rudder, this morning. The instructions stated that the pieces were die cut, but I didn't find them in the kit. I created the pieces from stock that I have onhand.
Jan 18, 2017, 11:19 AM
I've built two of these kits. On both I've used saito 120 and dle20ra. The problem I've had with the motor mount was the 1/4" top ply was in the way of the top T nuts. I had to grind a hole to be able to put the T nut in place. Was that ever a problem for you in the past?
Edwin
Jan 18, 2017, 11:33 AM
ARFs Are Me
This is my first 1/4 Cub, so I haven't encountered the problem.

I remember that it was an issue with my 1/3 and 1/4 Spacewalkers, though.

I plan to use a G-26 in this model. I'll roll out the fuselage plans and check to see if there will be any issues.

Thanks for the heads up, Edwin.
Jan 18, 2017, 12:10 PM
AMA 910957
LOL! Model parts on the chair always reminds me of the portrait, The Scream.

Signed-on, Tom. This is going to be fun!

EJ
Jan 18, 2017, 12:33 PM
Yeah, that was agrivating when I discovered it. Had to use a dremel with a 90deg drive on it and a carbide grinding bit. I hate grinding what I can't see. It's worse when you forget and do it a second time.

If this is your first busa cub, then you should know that the stab location is none scale. It needs to move forward by about an inch. That move also enables you to hide the elevator control horn. Other than that, it's a pretty straight forward build. Flys great. I can knife edge mine with a saito 120. The dle20ra is a little heavier and won't hold the knife edge very long.

Edwin
Last edited by edwin1; Jan 18, 2017 at 12:41 PM.
Jan 18, 2017, 04:13 PM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1
LOL! Model parts on the chair always reminds me of the portrait, The Scream.

Signed-on, Tom. This is going to be fun!

EJ
I thought that you might appreciate that caption. LOL