This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 16, 2017, 10:04 AM
Thread OP
New Product

lemon rx w/stabilizer and auto level

http://www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?ro...product_id=151
i got this and used the DX6i with it.
it worked great, so am going to bring notes and details for whoever is interested on using the receiver, be with the DX6i, or with any other radio.
keep posted and search at the end for new details.
>>>there is a thread here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...d#post36470663
>>>by results: will start with the field test to show what i got:
weather is full of surprises-some rare times good. today was 1 of those. i noticed that there was almost no wind so was able to field test the plus with my new 2 meters e sailplane (air intakes sealed to keep the motor and battery from cooling too much). near freezing, ice on the grass, but little wind at ground level, not much turbulence, but up there was some. enough to show the difference with or without gyro. i had the pots at 2 o'clock. also arranged to have the flaps switch set to some down elevator to compensate for too much tendency at climb. climb without it at start. once at enough height tried it. the figure was 25 (about 1/16" down elevator). learned it is not enough so will increase it. switches were gear ON, mix switch on gyro at climb so gyro was ON. once at cruise as it seemed stable, gear OFF-no gyro nothing. i could notice the difference. the turbulence up there made the plane shake a little bit, but could keep without it. another day with more wind will compare again. then turned mix switch ON to auto level for landing: smooth and predictable. landed to my feet. auto level sure works great. best landings i ever had. what else could i tell? 3 flights. i couldnt believe my eyes!
>>>i modded the DX6i, and this is what i get (#2 indicator-near the pins):
1.-gear switch back: (red/green ON): no gyro or AL-no matter where the mix switch is;
2.-when gear switch is forward:
a.-if mix switch back: AL (red/green blinks);
b.-if mix switch forward: gyro (green ON).
>>>regarding the need for another channel... as the DX6i, that is an excellent radio for my needs, but has only 6 channels, my solution is this: as i fly sailplanes without ailerons/flaps/spoilers/whatever, and i dont use the rudder output of the left side gymbal, i connect the rudder servo to the aileron socket at the receiver so i can control rudder with my right hand. therefore i dont use the horizontal movement of the left side gymbal that normally is for rudder, so i disconnected the rudder wires at the gymbal and soldered to another switch that i dont use (too many that i will never use anyway) and now is with my vario that i needed badly. here i have another channel!
>>>despite my special arrangement where i dont use the left side gymbal rudder, that is peculiar to my needs for flying simple sailplanes, the rest may be of use for general purpose. i use the right side hand for dealing with the right side of the radio, and the left side hand for the left side of the radio.
this way i keep the right hand permanently touching the stick of the right side for controlling up/down and left/right movements. (for trimming the elevator or rudder i use the left hand). at the right side i have the arming switch that replaced the button with a left (OFF)-right (ON) switch. the moment am ready i flip it (meaning: throttle armed) then move my right hand to the stick-and will remain there for the rest of the flight. no guessing where it is. and the left hand will deal with throttle up for climb, or down-motor stopped-for the rest of the flight-that may only need occasionally a restart. then the other switches-that are located on the left side-will go as follows:
i switched the 2 at top rear corners, so now at top left back corner is mix for gyro (forward)/auto level (back); then at top front corner is what used to be gear: when switch is forward is mix activated so i can choose gyro or auto level with the back switch; and gear switch back is OFF, meaning there is no gyro or auto level. then at the front of the radio there are 2 switches: 1 near the left edge is for vario (an independent transmitter): down tells me the height in feet or meters, and up sends beeps that tell me if am in thermal. this is the channel that was used for rudder, and now i plug the vario on it (channel 4 on the receiver). the other at the right of this (long arm) was originally intended for flaps, and that now am using for changing the trim of the elevator so it neutralizes the excesive tendency to go up: switch up is for climb, down for glide. this way for launching, all 4 are forward/up. i can feel them with my hand. no need to look down. the sequence is: plane on left hand; arming switch to the right (ON); look down to the left stick (throttle) and move it up (accelerate) until feel the motor running at the desired speed/sound; move right hand to the right side stick; look up and throw the plane hard. once reach desired height (about 200 meters), throttle and flap switches down and left turn signal. once i see how the wind is up there i decide if am going to use the gyro (ON) or not. if not, turn back the rear upper switch (gyro OFF) to save energy, as gyro uses more than without it. and when approaching for landing, rear switch forward, and front switch back to activate auto level. thats it. and i added stickers that tell what is on each switch just in case.
>>>the sticker on the rx has some digits that need explaining. here is it from lemon:
Grn:F .S. OK => Green LED on means fail-safe is OK
Blu: Sta . P .On => Blue LED on means stabilizer is permanently on
S. = F. S. => Short press to activate / deactivate fail-safe
L.= Sta. P. => Long press (or hold) to activate / deactivate stabilizer permanently on function (it checks your gear switch setting for setting this stabilizer permanently on at Gyro or auto-level)
and more details here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post36661496 (post 972)
>>>as the DX6i has no 3 positions switch, and we need that for using AL and gyro, there is a way:
The DX6i has a two-position switch-channel 5 (Gear/F-Mod), and a programmable second switch (Mix), that can be used to simulate a three-position switch:
MIX 1
GEAR →GEAR ACT
RATE D 0% U –100%
SW MIX TRIM INH
Set GEAR channel to Reverse (change N to R)
This mix will produce -100%/0%/100% output, functioning as follows:
Gear switch in Position 0: Gives Stabilization OFF (100%) for either position of the Mix switch.
Gear switch in Position 1:
Mix switch in Position 0 gives Autolevel mode (-100%).
Mix switch in Position 1 gives Gyro mode (0%).
>>>monitor: now to make sure you did right, check monitor screen:
1.-gear switch at position 0 (back): cursor is at right hand (+100): AL and gyro are OFF, and mix does not affect it.
2.-gear switch at position 1 (forward): a) for mix switch at position 0 (switch forward): cursor is at left hand (-100): gyro ON;
b) for mix switch at position 1 (switch back): cursor is at center (0): AL ON.
>>>if you need to have elevator trim down at climb using flaps switch (page 68 of the manual), the screen shows:
-------------------FLAPS
------------FLAP-------------ELEV
NORM-----0--------------------0
LAND<-----0--arrow down):30 (<this figure is what i have now, you have to experiment depending on your plane).

this is the sequence i use for binding/failsafe/advanced:

1.-bind plug into 1st slot to the left
2.-with tx OFF, rx ON: indicator 2 (near pins) red/green flash and red under flash too
3.-with throttle down, hold bind sw and then turn ON tx
4.-before releasing bind sw, wait a few seconds after rapid red/green stop
5.-initialization starts when blue/green at indicator 1 (away from pins) blink for some 30 seconds (46 blinks) then go OFF. wait until initializing ends. now green near #1 goes ON.
indicator 2 signals mode:
position:
0: OFF: red/green solid or flickering: front sw (gyro) OFF (towards rear); back sw does not matter
1: GYRO: green ON: front gyro sw fwd, back sw fwd
2: AL: red/green flash alternatively: front sw fwd, back sw back

failsafe:
1.-bind plug into 1st slot
2.-check if is ON by pressing button briefly (less than 1 second).
if green on left is ON, it is set.
if blue, press more than 1 sec, then less than 1 sec while holding the desired control inputs (a little left ail, up ele).

to change AL to advanced:
1.-bind plug to ch 4-6 (tx is not needed)
1.-rx ON
2.-press button briefly (indicator 2 red flashing: advanced is ON)

jun 4, 2017-an update:
more tests and details
i have 2 identical 2 meters gliders with carbon fiber/kevlar fuselages. the only difference is in the receivers. they are the stab 0033 and the plus 0044, both with diversity antennas about 8 cm at the time i started the tests. they exit the fuse at about 60 degrees at both sides. when tested the 0033 it performed fine. but then the 0044 lost signal 2 times for about 5 seconds and went into a spin. as the plane was high i had time to save it when control returned, but i replaced the antennas of the 0044 with the longer (20 cm), and with them the plane flew fine. no more power loss or anything. then at other day i flew the 0044 plane and all went well with 1 battery. when replaced it (both fully charged), the plane went wild, uncontrollable, extremely sensitive. no signal loss, but terrible. the day before, all went fine. what could be? then i recalled that the day hell broke loose there was another guy flying.
i am in DSM2 so am getting DSMX to test again when other planes are flying. will tell.
but anyway, this is telling me that the plus is more sentitive (read vulnerable) to same conditions where the 0033 does fine.
of course, as with things of the air, and of electronics, more testing by me and others will help reach conclusions.
jun 29-more testing: i have been able to perform more flight tests. most of the time alone. with DSMX too. seems that makes no difference.

conclusions: i think that it depends of the goals of every1 to use the previous 0033 that has gyros but not auto level (AL) or this 0044 with AL, that also works for situations where the plane recovers from an unwanted position (as when you loose control).
when i tested this (i think i was the 1st to report tests), it seemed a great improvement and was willing to install it in all my planes, but after using it more i realize that it is way more complicated to operate it. to program it, to prepare it for flying, everything. and then you have to decide if is justified to use it. after all, nothing comes from nothing.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jun 29, 2017 at 05:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2022, 05:53 PM

Lemon in autolevel no controls?

I have all set up correctly as far as the lights on a three way switch. "Off" working with controls, Gyro works and controls work. Autolevel works but controls are barely working even on high throws.

Any hints would be appreciated.........Lee

Quick Reply