This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 15, 2017, 06:49 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Alert

Horizon Hobby's STOCK Plastic Clevis with Plastic Pin!

Guys,

My Trainee, William finally had another Training Session with his Super Cub this morning.

He did pretty good considering..................................

Let me tell you what happened. I made a Pre-Flight Check and Elevator and Rudder was working perfect.

I commanded his Super Cub to take-off and climb at 100 feet and checked out the model by showing William a powered loop and non-powered loop. He listened and acknowledged quickly so, I gave William the control. About one minute later, I asked William to attempt a loop and told him it doesn't matter which (powered or non-powered) and some strange reaction from the model was observed.

I asked William to attempt a powered loop at 100 feet and instructed him to give it DOWN Elevator and this time I was watching his fingers and the control sticks. To my horror, I witnessed William give ample DOWN Elevator and the model still didn't want to nose down or dive? At this time I asked William to turn over the controls over to me and I witnessed the model not respond to DOWN Elevator?

I CUT-OFF the Power and allowed the model to glide for a smooth (Kiss-The-Ground) landing and when we retrieved the model it was my HORROR that the STOCK plastic Clevis and more like the Plastic Pin from the STOCK Clevis had broken-OFF!

Fortunately, I came with my Park Zone T-28D "Airforce" Trojan and I had out-fitted my Trojan with Dubro "White" Clevis with Metal Pins and I gave him that one from one from the Aileron to William for his Super Cub. The Super Cub with a Fresh Battery flew just amazingly and no more issues with his Elevator.

It seems like from the previous crash the STOCK Clevis (with Plastic Pin) had been stressed and the next time we few it (this morning) that plastic pin broke OFF. Fortunately, the Alignment of the Push Rod and Elevator Horn was perfect such that every time we commanded UP Elevator the Plastic Fork somehow pushed the Elevator UP-WARDS and reason I was able to land without incident.

William was thankful that his hard work fixing this Super Cub from the last crash didn't end UP in a worse situation.

We are going to replace the Rudder STOCK Clevis with the Dubro Clevis with Metal Pin!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2017, 09:34 AM
BigDan1210
"Pit Special" Can you contact me at your earliest convenience?
Jan 18, 2017, 10:13 PM
MorE t0Yz iz m0Re gO0dER
I had the same exact thing happen to my apprentce and when i sent pictures and call
Horizon Hobby ..offered to send them the defective / POOR QUALITY part..OR THE ENTIRE PLANE ,they could not have cared less and said " you cant proove that the clevis was the problem ..well no elevator deflection at all tells me the servo or the mechanical connections at servo or elevator horn are at fault ..servo tested fine and the only part broken was the clevis pin.
A lot of cash for a foam plane to only get 9 flights on it before it was destroyed ..well esc receiver and servos are all okay.
Jan 18, 2017, 11:39 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
betterrcbuilder,

So sorry to learn of your Apprentice!

I am shocked and surprised on the reaction of the Horizon Hobby Representative!

Did you call the Technical Department?

I have called and they almost always send me a new part!

Pitts.

Quick Reply