Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 15, 2017, 12:57 PM
Discussion

Victor Model Co.

Can anyone shed some light on what is going on at Victor Model Co.? I placed an order with them two months ago and still have not received the item. They have not charged my credit card and do not answer the phone or return emails. There was no acknowledgement of the order when I placed it. Does anyone know what the deal is there? They produce some nice kits and I would like to do business with them, but they don't make it easy. What Gives???
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2017, 03:03 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Did you call or email them? Contact info on their web page.
Jan 15, 2017, 03:14 PM
Did you not read my post? "They have not charged my credit card and do not answer the phone or return emails."
Jan 15, 2017, 09:07 PM
There were other forum postings not long ago concerning Victor Models ...

After George Dornis (sp) pasted away ... his wife and family moved the business from Downey CA to somewhere in Louisiana.

Things were slow to recover after that move - and - possibly there might be other family health or business issues

Don't know all the details - but - sadly small business like this suffer when the primary leadership passes away or someone else takes over ... story is all too familiar - sadly

My first RC sailboat was a Victor Soling in 1991 ... back in 1995 when I had to travel to CA for work on extended work travel got me back into RC sailboats. One weekend I took time to find Victor Models - when they were still in Downey ... George n his wife were very friendly n very helpful. Showed me around his shop n how he made vacuum form Models and discussed various suppliers of materials.

Most folks didn't know George was a retired Rockwell / Rocketdyne cryogenics engr ... since I was working new space launch system n reason for being in CA ... George n I had a lot to talk about

Has been sometime n passing of George will be missed - for some of the reasons as noted above in this forum posting.
Jan 15, 2017, 09:37 PM
Victor Model Products Exclusive Manufacturer of the Soloing One Meter *****
Victor Model Products
379 County Line Rd
DeRidder, LA 70634
337-202-1916

http://www.victor-model.com/

Feb 02, 2017, 11:07 AM
Have you received your order yet?
Feb 02, 2017, 11:47 AM
Boomer1

Victor Models is alive and operational

Just got off the phone with Ruby. She has shared with me that they are still in business and shipping orders. They shipped 40 orders yesterday according to her. They are having issues getting some of the materials they need to build their boats which has held them up significantly.
She mentioned lead and plywood as being two items they have on back order. They can't get any decent help in their location so they are operating with a very small team. Ruby, her son and a one other helper.

They were hit with a bogus credit card fraud which caused them to make up a bunch of sails for an order then had the funds yanked back by the Credit Card company. While they didn't ship the sails, they lost all that time and materials and are now stuck with all the sails. They'll sell them overtime but for now it has set them back. They had two family issues to overcome recently. She had to have a pacemaker and her son was in an auto accident. They are fine now but they were of course set backs.

I asked if she had ever considered selling the business, she said "from time to time" but not ready yet. If I were younger I'd sure consider it. Anyone interested with the time and means might consider taking a look at it.

For now they are still operational but with small crew. I suggest allowing a longer lead times is to be expected. You all know what I know. Hope this report helps relieve concerns.

I have not ever had an issue reaching Ruby, but I may just call at the right times. I am happy she is well and the business continues.
Boomer
Feb 02, 2017, 12:36 PM
That's good news!
Feb 02, 2017, 12:40 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Did Ruby mention what boat the sails were for? Maybe I could take a set or two? My pair of Stars & Stripes are getting on 25 years old now.

Dave
Feb 02, 2017, 12:42 PM
Boomer -
thanks for sharing this information. They (she and George) were a wonderful couple and hope they can keep the business going. Did she happen to say what sails they had after the credit card incident? If Soling, there may be guys with that boat looking for new sails. Good to hear she is still involved.

Dick
Feb 02, 2017, 03:39 PM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
Boomer -
thanks for sharing this information. They (she and George) were a wonderful couple and hope they can keep the business going. Did she happen to say what sails they had after the credit card incident? If Soling, there may be guys with that boat looking for new sails. Good to hear she is still involved.

Dick
I asked the same question, sadly there are no Soling sails in the lot. I can ask her and can post them here to see if there any there that some one might be in need of.
Boomer
Feb 02, 2017, 03:49 PM
Thanks Boomer.

Local Soling sailor was interested at coffee this morning.
Mar 11, 2017, 10:38 PM
Addicted to lazy-flying models
Hi Boomer, do you have any update on which boat the sails fit?
Diane
Mar 11, 2017, 11:36 PM
Boomer1
I will try to reach Ruby next week. As soon as I am able to speak to her I will ask her to provide a list of sails she wants to sell. Once I have that info I'll post it here. Are you looking for one in particular?
Boomer
Mar 12, 2017, 09:23 AM
Addicted to lazy-flying models
Hubby and I each have a V-32. (His is an older one, while I just won mine as a kit on eBay.) His sails are pretty trashed, and while mine are new I wouldn't mind having a spare suit.
Diane
Last edited by azdiane; Mar 12, 2017 at 09:31 AM.