Apr 25, 2017, 10:03 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Moya
What planes were flown by the pilots at the top of the list results?
We wrote down the planes during the awards ceremony but (I think) the wind blew the piece of paper away (my story and I'm sticking to it ). Will re-acquire the info and post it asap.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 25, 2017, 11:27 PM
Where is the lift?
10th place was flying a Carbon Competition Supra (heavy) wing with a Supra Expert F5J fuselage.
Roughly 70oz.

Charlie
Apr 25, 2017, 11:45 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy
10th place was flying a Carbon Competition Supra (heavy) wing with a Supra Expert F5J fuselage.
Roughly 70oz.

Charlie
Those Supras are GREAT in the wind. ;-)
Apr 25, 2017, 11:59 PM

Supra

That was the name that came to my mind under these conditions.

In fact over the weekend I flew an Ultralight Supra (at the factory the wing was stamped "for careful electric thermaling only") unballasted in 12 MPH winds, gusting to a measured 33 MPH . 61.8 oz.

Four flights before I dedided to quit due to the wind: 10, 9, 8 and 10 minutes, with landing points in two of the flights. Normally I had to chase the lift as it was pointed by shifts in wind direction. No issues caming back from down wind althought I started the return at 6 minutes on the clock. Yes Supra.
Last edited by Luis Moya; Apr 26, 2017 at 12:10 AM. Reason: added weight.
Apr 26, 2017, 12:58 PM
6th place was flying an Electra 2
Apr 26, 2017, 01:39 PM
Joe I heard was flying Maxa. I've seen Jonathan with an Ultima but I know he has a Perfection as well. I've seen pictures of Petr flying Perfection but he may have updated to the Dynamic. Lenny has a lot of different models. My point being in the top 10 you'll see at least 1 of every model All the "good" models fly well right?
Apr 26, 2017, 02:51 PM
1- Joe, F3J Maxa wing with ballast
2-Jonathon, F3J Pike Perfection SL wing, 8 oz of ballast in joiner
3-John, F3J Pike Perfection LS wing
4-Petr, Pike Dynamic F5J 1500 ballasted to 1900 grams.

Was not a contest for the uber lights. I also flew a Perfection with F3J wings and ballast.
Apr 26, 2017, 07:35 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EYE
6th place was flying an Electra 2
3.9 or 3.5?? Yay!! Go Electra ;-)
Apr 27, 2017, 12:53 PM

Scores updated and more thank you's

To account for a missing score for Ali Khani in R3 G3 we just updated the score reports in the final scores post. Note that all the read counts for each report have been reset. Sorry this one sneaked by, Ali. You flew well with your #6 finish. We are currently discussing ways to make the smartphone score checking process even faster / easier.

More Thank You's

Mike Dantonio (RCG:LVSloper) - Mike is another member of the local LV soaring club who was a huge help. Months ago when the Sandy Valley field was first being considered there was a big question about cell coverage. This was critical for smartphone scoring for both F3J and F5J. So back in January Mike agreed to do a cell signal test for us. So we got a special app installed on his phone and sent him on a cellphone tour of the grass circles. Lots of driving and tests that thankfully confirmed very good Verizon coverage which we needed at a minimum. Mike also came to the rescue for F5J by bringing gas for our generator. Thanks much Mike!!

Doug Bush - Doug has already been recognized but he was also a huge help during the F5J event. He helped not only with some scorekeeping on day 1 but, among other things, he also came up with a scheme to anchor down our shade tent and keep it from blowing away.

Greg Douglas - At the start of day 2 we decided to regenerate the matrix down to 3 groups so we could get more flights in. This required re-printing all the score cards. Greg immediately saw the need and stepped up to help print and cut them down. Thanks Greg!

Gerry Carter + GliderScore + Jim Monaco + Lee Wolfe - Gerry is the programmer for the GliderScore program. This winter Gerry decided to undertake a major project by adding smartphone scoring. Jim Monaco initially shared design concepts based on his own scoring system for 3J. Then after Gerry had software ready for test a small group stepped up to help. Lee Wolfe (EVEF in Phoenix) was a key part of that test team. Without Lee's testing help and suggestions, and without his club's early use of it over the winter, GS would not have been ready for Vegas.

PLEASE DONATE TO GLIDERSCORE - If your club is planning to fly F5J please be sure to donate to GS so we can keep it coming. Thanks!

--Chris
Apr 27, 2017, 01:20 PM

When JW was asked about the secret to his F5J success....

........his reply was the usual long winding response,

"I am Groot"

Gordy
Apr 27, 2017, 01:59 PM

Planes flown by top pilots

(will update this list if I receive new info)

#1 - Joe Wurts - F3J Maxa wing with ballast.
#2 - Jonathan Garber -- F3J Pike Perfection SL wing, 8 oz of ballast in joiner.
#3 - John Armstrong -- Pike perfection vtail with LS wings auw 61 oz. ballasted to 80 oz.
#4 - Petr Malcik -- Pike Dynamic F5J 1500 ballasted to 1900 grams.
#5 - Jody Miller -- Xplorer 3 electric fuse with a standard 3.7 meter TD wing.
#6 - Ali Khani -- Perfection with F3J wings and ballast.
#7 - Mark Browning -- Electra 2
#8 - Jon Padilla - Supra Expert ~56oz and a 4M Xplorer 3 with F3J wing ~67oz
#9 - Lenny Keer -- 4M Xplorer 3 with F3J wing, ~64oz dry
#10 - Jeff Duval -- Xplorer X3 4.0
#11 - Charles Morris - Carbon Competition Supra (heavy) wing with a Supra Expert F5J fuselage.
Last edited by SoaringDude; Apr 27, 2017 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added Jon Padilla's planes
Apr 27, 2017, 06:19 PM
Camber down and screw it up.

Pictures from F5J in Las Vegas 2017

Pictures from F5J in Las Vegas, 23-24 Apr. 2017

A great contest, due to the hard working efforts of Chris Bajorek, Lenny Keer, Jim Monaco, Gerry Carter, and many others. Often times, we tend to overlook what goes on behind the scenes, which is just an enormous amount of hard work, dedication, and devotion. If it runs smoothly for all the contestants, that means there was an immense amount that went on prior to, and during the contest.

So THANK YOU to Lenny, Jim, Gerry, and especially to Chris for a great start during this inaugural F5J USA tour. Hopefully, F5J will take off in the US with increased participation and more great contests.

--
Greg
Last edited by gdouglas; Apr 28, 2017 at 03:44 AM.
Apr 27, 2017, 07:16 PM
doo
doo
Greg, great job on the pics and descriptions. I enjoyed seeing them.
Apr 28, 2017, 01:45 AM
Overkill is underrated
The use of an aftermarket cargo net was a last minute idea for protecting our planes in the forecast winds. (And maybe a tad overkill based on what I saw other pilots successfully using to restrain their planes).
Last edited by elac2az; Apr 28, 2017 at 09:08 AM.
Apr 28, 2017, 03:45 AM
Camber down and screw it up.
Isn't Arizona in Europe?

Changed the caption to be a bit less specific.

Quick Reply