Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 23, 2017, 11:02 PM
Where is the lift?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude
Well, actually having the wind was highly educational and answered questions some of us had re: how well the uber-lights would fare, even if ballasted up.

One important thing I learned: in stiff winds it's not just a lack of ballast that can ruin your flight but also having an underpowered motor. In moderate winds you may not be able to push through the wind and get high enough to get your time. Maybe pilots can comment on that.
Yes, I think you need enough power to position upwind if desired and climb to at least 200m if desired.

Charlie
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2017, 11:15 PM
Tragic case
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude
Well, actually having the wind was highly educational and answered questions some of us had re: how well the uber-lights would fare, even if ballasted up.

One important thing I learned: in stiff winds it's not just a lack of ballast that can ruin your flight but also having an underpowered motor. In moderate winds you may not be able to push through the wind and get high enough to get your time. Maybe pilots can comment on that.
And yet starting heights were often over 150 meters.
Apr 24, 2017, 12:54 AM
I'd guess they showed but an outbreak of mental health probably struck when they saw the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidleitch
Wow. Conditions must have been tough. How strong was the wind?

Also a lot of no shows.
Apr 24, 2017, 05:46 AM
Petr is a very good European pilot with a lot of good wins.

Props to Jonathan, nice job after 2 rounds.

We talk a lot about it in various threads but having power on a windy day gives you way more choices as far as strategy.

For guys flying today just a hint. 4S - 500mah battery is about the same weight as a 3s 850. Just sayin'

Cheers and great luck to everyone today.

Joon
Apr 24, 2017, 09:56 AM
E sailplane thermal hack
I noticed that many rounds were won with launch heights
Over 200m. When you consider that launching to150 m
Only buys you an extra 25pts .
Apr 24, 2017, 10:12 AM
Actually if you look only guys in groups where people didn't make time won with heights over 200M. You have to make your time. You have to assume at least 1 other person is going to make time in your group whereas starting over 200M is probably not going to allow you to win the round however it's not a bad strategy to be conservative early on a tough conditions type day.

If you look at Petr and Jonathans start heights they were around 130M and both made time. #1 and #2.

Not saying this is applicable to WINDY Vegas but I can float 10mins from 130M with non-ballasted at the limit newer 5J model. Of course I would have added 500G for this day as it would have blown to TX in 10mins.
Apr 24, 2017, 02:52 PM
Checking Henderson Field AWOS another 20+ mph gusting to 30+ mph day in the Las Vegas area. Hope the guys got a few early rounds in this morning.

Bummer.
Apr 24, 2017, 03:31 PM
Sounds like really tough conditions. I assume that's why a lot of guys didn't fly yesterday. Uber props to whomever wins.
Apr 24, 2017, 07:57 PM
Team Hello Kitty

F5J in Vegas 2017 - Final scores

This was a challenging F5J contest. The sod farm provided ideal ground conditions and mother nature threw in the wind to make it interesting. Winds on day 1 increased as the day progressed: my handheld @ 7' read 15-20 mph with gusts 25 often. On day 2 it was better but not calm for more than a fleeting moment: average wind was 11-13 mph with gusts to 15 much of the day with some thermal-induced variations. We flew 2 rounds on day 1, and 6 rounds on day 2.

This was not what you would call an ideal forum for testing out the new super light F5J ships. Yes many did fly but they were not able to showcase their strengths much. I'm sure pilots will share their own impressions.

This also was not a great contest for showing off how low you could launch. If you didn't launch high enough in the winds you didn't make your time. The lowest launch that produced a full working time was 41mtr (Charles Morris, rnd 8), and that was only possible in the last round.

So...strategy was very key in this contest. A few more things:

1. GliderScore with Smartphone scoring worked _very_ well. All the cell carriers had decent signals on the field except T-Mobile. So those pilots used the local hotspot as provided by organizer Jim Monaco. Some also used the tablet computer that Jim had set up.

2. A total of 40 pilots flew all or most rounds both days. We started with 60 signed-up pilots, then lost 4 shortly before the event. The rest dropped out at various points mostly due to wind conditions or plane issues.

The Winners

Places 1-5 received nice F5J USA Tour awards plaques:
#1 - Joe Wurts - 6915 points
#2 - Jonathan Garber - 6235
#3 - John Armstrong - 6088
#4 - Petr Malcik - 6041
#5 - Jody Miller - 5981

#6 - Ali Khani - 5654
#7 - Mark Browning - 5546
#8 - Jon Padilla - 5505
#9 - Lenny Keer - 5304
#10 - Jeff Duval - 5175
#11 - Charles Morris - 5165

(scores updated on 4-27 to account for missing score for Ali Khani)
(Joe Wurts also had the top combined F3J+F5J score and received a special plaque for that)

This concludes contest #2 for the 2017 F5J USA Tour. I'll update the tour standing in a few days.

Special thanks to Lenny Keer for his sharing of CD duties--it would not have been the same event without him, not even close. And more special thanks to Jim Monaco for entrusting the CD duties to us. Jim was an awesome gentleman to work with--I learned much from him.

Chris Bajorek
co-CD, F5J in Vegas 2017
Last edited by SoaringDude; Apr 27, 2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Updated scores
Apr 24, 2017, 11:21 PM
Round 5, Group 1.

Mad props JW.

Cheers to all flyers, sounded tough. I hope guys that mainly fly 3J enjoyed it.

Joon
Apr 24, 2017, 11:57 PM
Bro
Bro

F5J in the Desert

Chris,

Thanks for the update!
Also, thanks for the thankless job of CD'ing...
You and Lenny rock!

Best,
Bob
Latest blog entry: 2015
Apr 25, 2017, 12:21 AM
Ugggggg, my round 3 score says 0, didn't zero that flight.

Great event, thanks everyone for putting in the hard work, can't control the weather but you made the best of it. Very happy all my models survived and are back home safe and sound.
Last edited by ak79; Apr 25, 2017 at 12:59 AM.
Apr 25, 2017, 08:57 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79
Ugggggg, my round 3 score says 0, didn't zero that flight.
Sorry to hear Ali. I'll wait for other score change requests before amending the reports. For everyone who was not at the event the scores for this contest were "self entered" using GliderScore's smartphone scoring. This is a huge timesaver for CDs. FYI the F3J event just before this one used Jim Monaco's custom smartphone scoring system.
Apr 25, 2017, 01:00 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W
The 2nd best score in that slot was 350 pts, the median close to 200 pts. One person flew over 7 minutes but got a 100 pt score due to launching to almost 300 meters.
The last result in that group (round 5 group 1) was very educational IMO. Robert Burson had the second best flight time (7:09) after you Joe, which is a very respectable flight time considering the conditions, yet he had the smallest number of earned points in that group. The penalty for launching above 200m is huge. Also, landing points make a difference of course.

--
Last edited by olgol; Apr 26, 2017 at 07:46 AM.
Apr 25, 2017, 09:19 PM

Planes?

What planes were flown by the pilots at the top of the list results?

Thanks.