MJX Bugs 3 Brushless Independent ESC 3D Roll for Gopro 3 Gopro 4 RC Quadcopter RTF - Page 6 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 17, 2017, 10:04 PM
GOT WINGS
After installing the straps the weight of the quad dropped by about 5 grams. then I thought why not take the battery case off of the stock battery. That made the weight of the stock battery drop from 113.5 to 91.8 grams. A loss of almost 22 grams. So I timed a flight with the Gemfan props and the lighter stock battery and only got about 16.25 minutes. Not as long a flight as the original props and the stock battery and battery cage - 17.5 minutes.
So the Gemfan props must cut flight time, I put the original props back on. GF props = 5.5 grams, Bugs 3 props = 4.5 grams and are about 5mm longer.
With straps instead of battery bay, stock props, and stock battery the quad flew for 18.25 minutes, 2 minutes longer than with the Gemfan props. So the stock props are really well matched to the quad. And as an added bonus, the LV beeping only started 1 minute before the forced landing due to low battery.
I then tried it with a Charsoon 2200mah 60C battery and also got 18.25 minutes. But that battery weighs 132.9 grams with the XT60 to XT30 adapter. And the LV beeping started about 2 minutes before forced landing.
I liked having the green GF props on the front to aide in LOS orientation, but the stock props are just better props for this quad.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2017, 12:51 AM
I review RC Products
I like mine so far:

GoPro Ready - MJX Bugs 3 Brushless Drone Quadcopter Unboxing, Maiden Flight, and Review (11 min 43 sec)
Apr 26, 2017, 05:32 PM
GOT WINGS
Amazon is selling a blue Bugs 3 here: https://www.amazon.com/DROCON-Brushl...iglink20264-20 .

And Bangood now has two versions of the Bugs 2 listed as coming soon: https://www.banggood.com/MJX-B2W-Bug...070760201208BW , and: https://www.banggood.com/MJX-B2C-Bug...070760201208BW .

The second only comes in white, but the first comes in black, red, or white. They look a lot like the Bugs 3, but supposedly have altitude hold and GPS. If you look closely at the pictures on those links, the body is different and it claims a MTM diagonal of 311 instead of 310 on the Bugs 3. LEDs are mounted differently, and the transmitter has display and maybe spring mounted throttle stick. I wouldn't mind trying one out because the Bugs 3 is one of my favorite quads.
Apr 27, 2017, 02:54 AM
Kinda pity they found it necessary to copy the Hubsan H501 for these; I really like the Bug3 look
May 01, 2017, 09:02 PM
GOT WINGS
A small company called AKK Technology - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/295...108.0.0.haJNAI - contacted me recently about reviewing some of their products and sent me a couple of cameras to review. They also have an Amazon store here: https://www.amazon.com/s?marketplace...&redirect=true .

One of the camera/vtxs they sent me is the AKK 2.8MM 120 Degree 800TVL NTSC Switchable Camera with 40CH 600mW FPV Transmitter KC03 . You can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/AKK-Degree-80...3688955&sr=1-7 . The camera is 800 TVL and the vtx is 600mW.

I decided to try that camera out on my Bugs 3 so here is what I did to mount it. I had a camera mount that I determined would fit beneath the LED headlight, so I took out the headlight and attached the mount. Other than drilling two small holes for the mount, all I had to do was drill a hole in the side to insert the allen wrench so I can loosen/tighten the swivel clamp on the mount. I can not remove/install the camera mounted on the LED plate with the camera tightened in place like I want it. I can move the camera angle from about 15 degrees down up to at least 30 degrees up.

Then I decided to mount the VTX under the canopy with the antenna going out through the fin on top. So I drilled a hole for the antenna and had to heat and bend the plastic of the fin so that the vtx fits fairly flush against the top of the canopy. I added two o-rings to the base of the antenna mount and now the antenna actually holds the vtx in place when I tighten it on. I have not connected power to it yet, I think I will just add a JST plug connected straight to the battery terminals on the inside. Biggest problem is there is only about 1 cm of clearance below the camera with just the short landing legs on the quad. Camera, vtx, wires, antenna, and mounting hardware add about 24 grams to the quad.
Name: zfpvbxcnt.jpg
Views: 12
Size: 126.3 KB
Description: Name: zfpvvtx.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 99.3 KB
Description: Name: zbugscnpyvtx.jpg
Views: 13
Size: 86.3 KB
Description: Name: zbugscanpy.jpg
Size: 50.6 KB
Description: Name: zbugscnpy3.jpg
Size: 76.6 KB
Description: Name: zbugsvtxant.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 86.3 KB
Description: Name: zbugsledcam.jpg
Size: 89.9 KB
Description: Name: zcamvtx.jpg
Views: 15
Size: 111.3 KB
Description:
Name: zbugs cananthole.jpg
Views: 14
Size: 62.6 KB
Description: Name: zbugscammnt.jpg
Views: 16
Size: 67.9 KB
Description: Name: zbugs fpvcamant.jpg
Views: 17
Size: 70.9 KB
Description:
May 02, 2017, 02:40 AM
Bugs is a real bug now, with tail and all!

Cloverleaf will probably give you a better range.
May 02, 2017, 10:19 AM
GOT WINGS
I may have a cloverleaf I can put on it but I need to test it with this antenna first.
May 02, 2017, 10:28 AM
Question on spare batteries....

After reading through the thread, consensus is that the factory battery is good match for the Bug. Amazon has 3 or 4 vendors selling the battery but I'm not sure if they are OEM or knockoffs. I did email one of the vendors who has the MJX battery pic on his Amazon page and asked if it was a MJX battery or third party. Reply was third party.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these Amazon vendors on the quality of the Bug batteries they are selling (or any suggestions of where to purchase spare batteries)?
May 02, 2017, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by laarj
Question on spare batteries....

After reading through the thread, consensus is that the factory battery is good match for the Bug. Amazon has 3 or 4 vendors selling the battery but I'm not sure if they are OEM or knockoffs. I did email one of the vendors who has the MJX battery pic on his Amazon page and asked if it was a MJX battery or third party. Reply was third party.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these Amazon vendors on the quality of the Bug batteries they are selling (or any suggestions of where to purchase spare batteries)?
Give us a link, baby.
May 02, 2017, 11:02 AM
GOT WINGS
I have tried several batteries and agree the stock battery is the best. The best place I know of to get the spare battery is Banggood.
May 02, 2017, 11:30 AM
Pooleman, here's a link....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW249JJ...bugs+3+battery
May 02, 2017, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
I have tried several batteries and agree the stock battery is the best. The best place I know of to get the spare battery is Banggood.
I did check out the site and they are currently out of stock. Per their description I take it they are an actual OEM battery.
May 02, 2017, 11:29 PM
I review RC Products
I took mine out on Sunday and wow do I love it! Some parts my GF missed when I was really zipping, but overall this video turned out pretty well, even flying in some stiff wind:

MJX Bugs 3 Drone Quadcopter Outdoor Maiden Flight In Strong Wind With Runcam 2 Flight Footage (5 min 53 sec)
May 03, 2017, 08:16 AM
GOT WINGS
GB, nice video. I have never even put the long legs on mine, and I took off the battery cage and added straps so it is easier to use other batteries. What kind of camera did you have under the Bugs?
May 03, 2017, 08:16 AM
GOT WINGS
Quote:
Originally Posted by laarj
I did check out the site and they are currently out of stock. Per their description I take it they are an actual OEM battery.
I think I saw some OEM batteries at GearBest.