MJX Bugs 3 Brushless Independent ESC 3D Roll for Gopro 3 Gopro 4 RC Quadcopter RTF - Page 23 - RC Groups
Sep 11, 2017, 08:25 PM
GOT WINGS
My experience with finding my own lost quads has always been that they went down farther away than I thought.

Last one was the Bugs 6. I spent a lot of time looking at about 1000 feet and found it at about 1500 feet.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2017, 08:51 PM
Yesterday when I was doing some bench testing with my fpv, I didn't have my remote on and after 10 minutes the quadcopter started beeping continuously; I unplugged the battery and left for another 10 minutes the same thing happened. This made me thinking, so I switched the remote and then the quad on, after awhile I switched the remote off, after 10 minutes the same thing happened, the quad kept on beeping!! I left it for over 10 minutes to see how long it would last and then I got annoyed of the noise!!!
But I think this could be handy in future for finding lost quads, all you need to do is switch the remote off and listen for the beeping. I hadn't noticed this before, people always say leave the remote on to help find the quad, but I think it will be best to turn off now.

Has anyone else noticed this? Do you think it will help find lost quads?
Sep 11, 2017, 10:29 PM
GOT WINGS
I haven't noticed that but I tend to always turn off/disconnect the quad battery before I turn off the transmitter. Potentially a very useful discovery. I may have to test it myself.
Sep 12, 2017, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelrcscab
Yesterday when I was doing some bench testing with my fpv, I didn't have my remote on and after 10 minutes the quadcopter started beeping continuously; I unplugged the battery and left for another 10 minutes the same thing happened. This made me thinking, so I switched the remote and then the quad on, after awhile I switched the remote off, after 10 minutes the same thing happened, the quad kept on beeping!! I left it for over 10 minutes to see how long it would last and then I got annoyed of the noise!!!
But I think this could be handy in future for finding lost quads, all you need to do is switch the remote off and listen for the beeping. I hadn't noticed this before, people always say leave the remote on to help find the quad, but I think it will be best to turn off now.

Has anyone else noticed this? Do you think it will help find lost quads?
Just read this & had to check it out. Not a lot of joy though (with my 2 month old debil-debil from Bangers at least.) Quad starts to flash front leds only at about once per 2.5 second intervals as soon as contact is lost - headlight stays on as well. (Will be handy if lost around dusk.) After about 13 minutes the ESCs start to cycle (the source of the beeping) but you'd need to be nearly standing on it to be able to hear that in the field.
Cheapest & best measure is still the low battery alarm - set high & connected to the balance plug. Probably need to take additional measures to secure it and the battery & all its connectors since I could see the Bugs spitting the battery in any reasonable crash. I can speak with experience here since my Syma X8c got caught in a sudden wild gust sunday a week ago & headed for the hills before I gave up hope of control & decked it behind the trees. It was getting late so we only had enough time for a quick foray into the spear grass. (Australian native grass with a wickedly barbed seed - in full head right now.) Was going to put the Phantom up on Sunday (Quad is bright orange & tree cover sparse) but too windy again, so once more into the spears dear friends. Found it as usual just a bit further on than you could think possible. Another couple of sets of socks into the fire but the quad still functional. Had spat the battery & ripped the balance plug from the screamer but the main plug still attached so battery shot. Still I like that big orange demon & like you am very pleased to have my toy home.
Keep on trying old son. Practice makes perfect they say - can make you poorer along the way though.
Cheers OZ.
PS Keep us posted on the FPV stuff. I've just got the VRD2 goggles and am waiting on the c5820 camera.
Sep 13, 2017, 04:23 AM
Siriusflier just checking but you have found the stock props to be the best so far?
I need to get some more spares and just confirming that the stock it the way to go.
Thanks,
Sep 13, 2017, 07:18 AM
Slideways at warp speed.......
Wondering if 7045 triblades might be the ideal replacement for 3s
Sep 13, 2017, 09:34 AM
GOT WINGS
I have tried probably a half dozen different props and none really work as well as the stock props. But if you are going to use a 3S battery, you might be better off using some shorter props. Props I like the least are tri blade bullnose props for any application.

On pages 1 - 5 and page 22 there are pictures of all the props I have tried.
Sep 13, 2017, 03:03 PM
I will am going to keep on using 2s for the time being.
Thanks
Sep 13, 2017, 04:28 PM
GOT WINGS
I like flying the Bugs 3 with 2S battery and stock props. To me, the gain in speed or performance using a 3S battery came with a shudder caused by improper PID tuning, so that the quad was not as smooth a flier as with a 2S battery. I also think there is some risk of damaging electronics or motors with continued use of a 3S battery, so I decided against it. Most of the props I tried were props that I already had. I did buy the Hubsan props and the folding props. The Hubsan props were very bad on the Bugs 3, but they worked ok on the B2W, I have no idea why. The folding props were just something I had always wanted to try, they work ok, but I am going back to the stock props because they provide the smoothest flights and longest flight times.
Sep 14, 2017, 04:48 AM
I am looking at batteries for my bugs 3 at the moment and most lipos on aliexpress or banggood wont send to New Zealand or else I am not sure how good they will be.
So I decided to check out Hobby king and I was wondering are the Turnigy or Zippy compact lipos any better than lipos like these-
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...720933024.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...521927658.html
And when I go to check out is the Total price going to be in NZ dollars or What?
Does hobby king have a good reputation?
Thanks,
Sep 14, 2017, 04:49 AM
Where do you find the best places to buy lipos are?
Sep 14, 2017, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
I like flying the Bugs 3 with 2S battery and stock props. To me, the gain in speed or performance using a 3S battery came with a shudder caused by improper PID tuning, so that the quad was not as smooth a flier as with a 2S battery. I also think there is some risk of damaging electronics or motors with continued use of a 3S battery, so I decided against it. Most of the props I tried were props that I already had. I did buy the Hubsan props and the folding props. The Hubsan props were very bad on the Bugs 3, but they worked ok on the B2W, I have no idea why. The folding props were just something I had always wanted to try, they work ok, but I am going back to the stock props because they provide the smoothest flights and longest flight times.
I was about to order a 3S battery but, coming from you, that seems convincing enough to just get more 2S ones. Which 2S batteries are you using? I bought a 2300mah one that doesnt really seem to provide longer flight times than stock.

Cheers.
Sep 14, 2017, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelrcscab
I am looking at batteries for my bugs 3 at the moment and most lipos on aliexpress or banggood wont send to New Zealand or else I am not sure how good they will be.
So I decided to check out Hobby king and I was wondering are the Turnigy or Zippy compact lipos any better than lipos like these-
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...720933024.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...521927658.html
And when I go to check out is the Total price going to be in NZ dollars or What?
Does hobby king have a good reputation?
Thanks,
I've never dealt with Aliexpress but Banggood have always shipped lipos to Australia (mostly including free postage) generally fairly slowly so obviously not by air! Gearbest now won't (except as the included battery with a quad) and I haven't used Hobby King though a mate has a long-standing account with them. They have been in business for quite a while but sometimes their shipping costs can be a nasty surprise at checkout. Odd that Banggood won't ship to NZ!? Both Gearbest & Banggood give you the option to choose your own currency also.
I've seen the standard 903475 batteries for Syma X8s listed at anything from the OEM listing of 2000mah up to 2500mah - I've even got a couple marked 2000 in boxes marked 2200 -go figure!On the top listed battery the bottom line of writing is the manufacture date (year-month-date) so you'll be able to see how long it's been sitting on a warehouse shelf somewhere. We've lately got some Floureon 2&3 cellers off Ebay. Seem OK but not done a real comparison on them yet. Not so lucky with an Ebay listing of 650 & 720mah "upgrade" units for Syma x5c etc. Turned out to be 2-year old units which weighed less than the OEM 500mah batteries. Needless to say they didn't perform very well. Win some lose some.
Best of luck, OZ
Edit ... reason I went with the Fluoreons is they accurately list the dimensions & weights! Other suppliers take @#* note!
Last edited by theoztreecrasher; Sep 14, 2017 at 06:56 AM.
Sep 14, 2017, 07:36 AM
Slideways at warp speed.......
Hobbyking Aus wharehouse. They sea ship to nz, works out 1/2 -2/3 nz local prices. Takes 3 weeks

Turnigy excellent, zippy okay

1800 turnigy nanotechs for mine
Sep 14, 2017, 03:08 PM
They sea ship to nz, works out 1/2 -2/3 nz local prices. Takes 3 weeks

Is that half of your order for shipping? what do you mean by (works out 1/2 -2/3 nz local prices)
Are you a NZer?
Thanks,